Andrew Foyle - Stock broker???

The Eternity Ring (July 1946); The Cage (August 1946); Sunflower (Aug/Sept 1946)

Andrew Foyle - Stock broker???

Postby kitchenwonder » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:56 pm

A friend recently pointed out to me that the character table in Wikipedia says Andrew Foyle was a "stock broker in the City in series 8".

I don't recall anything about this in series 8. Does anyone out there know? :puzzled:
"Well...The Foyles, you know, always have been hard to resist." (Enemy Fire S3E2)
"If Michael Kitchen played a corpse, you would still watch him more than anyone else." (Jaci Stephen, The Mail, November 3, 2002)
kitchenwonder

Re: Andrew Foyle - Stock broker???

Postby Lynette » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:52 am

Doesn't Foyle say he's working in the City? I believe he does. No mention of what his job is.

"Stockbroker" is the stereotypical City job (the equivalent of Wall Street, for Americans) but I'm sure there are others. Investment banker? Commodities trader? Accountant? No such thing as private equity or hedge funds in those days, but surely there were a range of jobs in financial services that he could have done.

I seem to recall that the Foyle's War book that came out years ago said that Andrew was reading mathematics at Oxford (yet another bit of backstory, like Rosalind's typhoid, that I don't believe ever made it into a script). There must be some way that a maths background could fit into the financial world, I should think.
Lynette

Postby kitchenwonder » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:36 am

Lynette wrote:Doesn't Foyle say he's working in the City? I believe he does. No mention of what his job is.

That's what I remember, too. Thanks! :thumbsup:
"Well...The Foyles, you know, always have been hard to resist." (Enemy Fire S3E2)
"If Michael Kitchen played a corpse, you would still watch him more than anyone else." (Jaci Stephen, The Mail, November 3, 2002)
kitchenwonder

Postby HarrietVane » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:23 pm

kitchenwonder wrote:
Lynette wrote:Doesn't Foyle say he's working in the City? I believe he does. No mention of what his job is.

That's what I remember, too. Thanks! :thumbsup:

It's in Trespass, when the Foreign Office fellow who turns up to "liase" with MI5 turns out to be a flight-training contemporary of Andrew's.
HarrietVane

Return to Series 8 (March-April 2013)