Michael Kitchen Short Bio by Heather Sanderson

With / about Michael Kitchen

Michael Kitchen Short Bio by Heather Sanderson

Postby starlight » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:38 pm

Surely this article has been posted on QE before?
This time it comes to attention via KF

http://kitchenfoyle.tumblr.com/post/746 ... th-heather

Wonder where Heather got her information?

Direct link: http://ww2.mpt.org/tea/heather/heather2011.shtml
Then search for "August 15"
Do I need to remind you...how much you can trust me?
starlight

Re: Michael Kitchen Short Bio by Heather Sanderson

Postby jewell » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:52 pm

Well, it's all cobbled together from various interviews and articles, i'nt it?

I do believe there's a bit of literary license going on here, too. I think the author is reading a bit into some of the articles/interviews as I remember them. Not in a major way, just bits and pieces. For example, the author states that Rowena Kitchen was MK's dresser - the article I remember reading says she was "a dresser". Minor, yes, but an example of what I mean by reading into it.

All of this info is available either here or on Fiona's Michael Kitchen website.

All of this said, it's kind of nice to have it all boiled down so succinctly.

Jewell
"When they ask why, I'll go: well, it's the least, no, honestly, it's the very bloody least I could do!

"And not just decked him. No! Fried the devious, dirty bastard to a crisp in the luxury of his over-waxed car!"
jewell

Postby starlight » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:55 pm

OK - thanks for clarifying. I did just discover some sources from poking around Fi's site.
starlight

Postby Lynnedean » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:18 am

Jewell, you're spot on with all you say here. The "bio" is a compilation of bits and pieces from this or that article or interview, the main ones being the Bel Mooney interview in the TV Times, Oct 1973; the article in the Leicester Mercury, Aug 1992; the Katie Ekberg interview in the TV Times, June 1992; and the One Final Question interview in the Radio Times, Oct 2004. These, plus odd snippets from here and there.

And the writer has certainly been reading into some of the info she's gathered, with the result that she misleads. One example is, as you say, the dresser business. Others are ...

The statement that Anthony Horowitz wrote Foyle with Michael Kitchen in mind. It's just not so ... in the extra section "A Conversation With Anthony Horowitz" on the DVD set of the first series of FW, Mr Hwz said: "Well, first of all you have to remember that when a writer writes a piece of television he is often the last person to get involved with casting. That's certainly true in my case. I don't have really a great deal of involvement in it. I'm not even very good at it. I do only remember that once the first script had been written and we were casting around for who would play it, there was a list drawn up, and Michael's name was very much the first name on that list ..."

The reference to Mr K being "known in England as 'the thinking woman's crumpet'". Hadaway and jump! (Geordie expression meaning: rubbish!) The phrase was simply something journalist Jaci Stephen - very much a fan of The Man - used in her review of Fifty Ships in the Mail On Sunday, 23 Nov 2003: "There was no sex in Foyle's War, which was a shame, because the thinking woman's crumpet Michael Kitchen was in it." So, he was not "known in England as" - he was just described by one person in England as! (And then Fiona used it as her sign-off on every post she made on her message board, but she was in Oz. :D )

Oh, dear, I'm rabbiting on, but this kind of free interpretation of information stated as fact gets me very cross, and it's probably one of the reasons Mr K has been very wary of doing interviews over the years.
Last edited by Lynnedean on Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby Wolesley » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:51 am

I do find it odd that she is writing a column for a PBS station, giving all sorts of information on UK TV and film actors and productions, and never cites a single source for any of the information, whether print or broadcast or online interviews. Couldn't she be charged with plagiarism, at least for quoting, without credit, the print interviews?

:puzzled:

Lesley
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Postby starlight » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:03 am

Lynnedean wrote:The reference to Mr K being "known in England as 'the thinking woman's crumpet'". Hadaway and jump! (Geordie expression meaning: rubbish!) The phrase was simply something journalist Jaci Stephen - very much a fan of The Man - used in her review of Fifty Ships in the Mail On Sunday, 23 Nov 2003: "There was no sex in Foyle's War, which was a shame, because the thinking woman's crumpet Michael Kitchen was in it." So, he was not "known in England as" - he was just described by one person in England as!(And then Fiona used it as her sign-off on every post she made on her message board, but she was in Oz. :D )

Thanks for the clarification, Lynne. :cool: (and good point, Lesley :geek:)

Somehow, though, I feel the urge to help turn Heather's inaccuracy into prophecy. :lol:

Back later...

Starlight :rose:
starlight

Postby Lynnedean » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:13 am

Wolesley wrote:I do find it odd that she is writing a column for a PBS station, giving all sorts of information on UK TV and film actors and productions, and never cites a single source for any of the information, whether print or broadcast or online interviews.

Many journalists do it, Lesley; it appears to be accepted practice to plunder other journalists' pieces as though the articles and interviews all go into some sort of central database for the purpose. Odd lines are often lifted from the old Greenlit/ITV publicity packs, too.

And, of course, snippets quoted out of context and not cited can be made to mean anything. Here's something from the review pages on the website of a Melbourne newspaper, The Age. The review, although it's never directly stated, is about FW6-1 Plan of Attack. The article is dated July 2008. The reviewer, while praising Michael Kitchen, makes something he said in the One Final Question interview in the Radio Times in 2004 sound as though it was said in 2007, and not only is the remark wrongly dated and totally out of context, it makes Mr K sound somewhat dismissive of Foyle's War, which I think it's pretty safe to say, he would never be. It is totally misleading ...
    "This is a craftsman at work and it's grand to see him return to the role, even though Michael Kitchen admitted in an interview last year that submitting to public clamour for one last go at a much-loved character would only mean more of the same." - The Age:TV reviews: Foyle's War
This is the actual quote from the RT interview (the item is posted in this sub-forum). It was said in reference to FW3, long before ITV's axing of the series and the "public clamour for one last go" ...
    Question: So here we are with the third series of Foyle's War. What have we got to look forward to?
    Answer: More of the same, really. It's four two-hour episodes set in 1941.

We may not like it, because we'd all love to hear directly from The Man, but Michael Kitchen got it right, y'know - people do tend to swallow anything in print/online without questioning the veracity of it, so it's best simply to say as little as possible and keep your head below the parapet.
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby TicketyBoo » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:04 am

Allow me to weigh in here as a retired newspaper reporter.
First of all, Heather Sanderson isn't a journalist. She doesn't write for The Sun, a respected daily newspaper in Baltimore. She collects information for a blog on the website for Maryland Public Television. What she needs is an editor!
An editor, a good one anyway, would tell her she needs to credit her sources. Perhaps the people at MPT's website figure that the people who read "Afternoon Tea" already know Sanderson didn't interview Dame Judi Dench or the elusive Michael Kitchen. She grabs info off Google (not always the best source, as many of you have revealed) and throws it together.
For instance, in her latest missive, she quoted Prunella Scales husband as saying the "Fawlty Towers" has "mild Alzheimer's." Scales' husband, actor Timothy West, revealed her condition in a documentary called, "Grand Canal Journeys." The Guardian quoted the information not from the program but from the Radio Times. The paper credited both sources.
As for the incorrect information in Sanderson's column, e-mail her and set her straight. Readers or people interviewed by the newspaper never held back when something incorrect was published. When that happened, corrections were printed.
Information was changed on line.
Let's recap: Heather not a journalist. She should credit sources. And the woman needs an editor.
Hope that helps. TicketyBoo
TicketyBoo

Postby ayresorchids » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:21 am

Lotsa Web authors out there need editors. I know a fine one for hire... :biggrin:
...And I do hope that you find somebody who deserves you.
ayresorchids

Postby starlight » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:29 am

ayresorchids wrote:Lotsa Web authors out there need editors. I know a fine one for hire... :biggrin:

:cool: I can recommend her (alter ego=dancesabove)
starlight

Postby TicketyBoo » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:58 am

I think dancesabove would be perrrrfect for the job. Let's nominate her to keep Ms. Sanderson in check!
TicketyBoo
TicketyBoo

Postby Lynnedean » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:52 am

Many thanks for the input from a professional, Ticketyboo.

The importance of crediting sources was taught to me when in training for my work many moons ago. It frustrates me to find so many statements made all over the Internet without any checkable references being given. Mind you, it's only one of many things that disturb me about what appears on the Internet. :D
Lynnedean

Return to Interviews and Articles