Jaci Stephen's Reviews from The Mail

With / about Michael Kitchen

Jaci Stephen's Reviews from The Mail

Postby kitchenwonder » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:28 pm

I have been reading Jaci Stephen's reviews that were published between 2001 and 2004. It is clear that she is an MK fan. If you don't remember her, you probably remember her reference to MK as "the thinking woman's crumpet" :cloud9: (My lessons in lust; The Mail on Sunday; November 23, 2003).

The line that captured me was: "If Michael Kitchen played a corpse, you would still watch him more than anyone else." (A voice that rises above the sleaze; The Mail on Sunday; November 3, 2002) Oh, how true!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

These old reviews are captured on http://www.nothing-fancy.com/michaelkit ... erview.htm

There are other old reviews and interviews there. Makes for interesting reading.

(P.S. Yes, I suspect you old timers know all about this website.)
"Well...The Foyles, you know, always have been hard to resist." (Enemy Fire S3E2)
"If Michael Kitchen played a corpse, you would still watch him more than anyone else." (Jaci Stephen, The Mail, November 3, 2002)
kitchenwonder

Re: Jaci Stephen's Reviews from The Mail

Postby Lynnedean » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:36 pm

kitchenwonder wrote:(P.S. Yes, I suspect you old timers know all about this website.)

Yep. :D

TMKS (The Michael Kitchen Site) was created by Fiona, who is registered on this board (as Nona Fiona) [Edited by Lesley: Fiona is Florrie on QE] but keeps an eye on us only from a distance these days. The very first Michael Kitchen forum was a spin-off from TMKS. Our Admin Lesley took over when Fiona became too busy to continue the running of it. As you will see in the blurb on the website, Fiona's interest in Mr K was sparked by FW. There was no other website like hers at the time; such as blogs weren't around back then; much has changed over the years. Other people have since posted info about The Man, but Fiona started it all , and it irritates me somewhat when I recognise items on blogs that have obviously been taken from TMKS but have not been credited.

Note that Fiona made all our Foyle and Sam emoticons and many of the avatars in QEN's library.

The first Foyle's War website was also created by Fiona. The domain was later taken over by Acorn for commercial purposes, and theirs is the site that is now accessed through the foyleswar.com URL. The original, however, can still be accessed via ... http://www.nothing-fancy.com/foyleswar/

Journalist Jaci Stephen was obviously a great fan of Michael Kitchen. Fiona adopted her comment "the thinking woman's crumpet" as her sign-off on her message board posts. :D (In case you're wondering about that phrase, the explanation of its origin is here ... Wikipedia: Thinking man's/woman's crumpet)
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby Wolesley » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:50 pm

The link to all those older interviews, reviews and articles is the 'sticky' post at the top of the Interviews and Articles page.

Lesley
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Postby kitchenwonder » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:14 pm

Lynnedean wrote:TMKS (The Michael Kitchen Site) was created by Fiona...

(In case you're wondering about that phrase, the explanation of it's origin is here ... Wikipedia: Thinking man's/woman's crumpet)

First, let me say that I am indebted to Fiona and all who followed for preserving and creating all of the MK lore I have been enjoying. It obviously was and is a labor of love! :thankyou:

Second, I appreciate knowing the history, too. :pleased:

Finally, thanks for the Wikipedia reference. This isn't a phrase that I had ever heard before. :geek:
"Well...The Foyles, you know, always have been hard to resist." (Enemy Fire S3E2)
"If Michael Kitchen played a corpse, you would still watch him more than anyone else." (Jaci Stephen, The Mail, November 3, 2002)
kitchenwonder

Postby jewell » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:34 pm

Shouldn't some Wikipedia-literate amongst us add MK to the list of male actors? "Benedict Cumbatch, Colin Firth, Bill Nighy and Michael Kitchen" Referencing Jaci Stephens article?

This is an injustice that must be corrected in our lifetime! Hopefully sooner.

Somebody...

Please.

J
"When they ask why, I'll go: well, it's the least, no, honestly, it's the very bloody least I could do!

"And not just decked him. No! Fried the devious, dirty bastard to a crisp in the luxury of his over-waxed car!"
jewell

Postby kitchenwonder » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:53 pm

jewell wrote:Shouldn't some Wikipedia-literate amongst us add MK to the list of male actors? "Benedict Cumbatch, Colin Firth, Bill Nighy and Michael Kitchen" Referencing Jaci Stephens article?

This is an injustice that must be corrected in our lifetime! Hopefully sooner.

Somebody...

Please.

J

Well, you asked...and I had been thinking the same. I thought He deserved His own sentence, not merely to be in the list. :rose: :rose: :rose:
kitchenwonder

Postby kitchentease » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:19 pm

kitchenwonder wrote:Well, you asked...and I had been thinking the same. I thought He deserved His own sentence, not merely to be in the list. :rose: :rose: :rose:

Nicely done. :thankyou:
:rose:
But, what does the brain matter....compared to the heart?
kitchentease

Postby jewell » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:28 pm

Good job, starlight! :foyle1:
"When they ask why, I'll go: well, it's the least, no, honestly, it's the very bloody least I could do!

"And not just decked him. No! Fried the devious, dirty bastard to a crisp in the luxury of his over-waxed car!"
jewell

Return to Interviews and Articles