The “Wow” of Foyle’s War

With / about Michael Kitchen

The “Wow” of Foyle’s War

Postby kitchenwonder » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:31 pm

This article / blog has been out there awhile, but I just found it last night. https://bylrose.wordpress.com/2013/11/1 ... oyles-war/ You may already have read it - It may already be discussed elsewhere on QE.

But I am struck by how much it describes my own response to FW and MK! "I am not only completely taken with the series, but also the character of Christopher Foyle, and by extension, the actor Michael Kitchen. I thought, oh God, I’ve gone and gotten a crush on an actor. How embarrassing! I’m too old for such silliness." :cloud9:

There are other choice bits, too, for example: "What makes Kitchen a stand out among so many others? To begin with, Kitchen is an exceptionally talented actor buoyed by an obvious and precise command of his craft. Character actors, for which Kitchen is mostly known, typically get to play a wide range of types and genres, so the fact that he has the chops to pull off any sort of character, including a leading man, should not be surprising. And, it’s my guess that his is a naturally come-by charisma, which he seems to have fun wielding for the camera like an expert swordsman." :D

Worth a read...or re-read! :rose: :rose: :rose:
"Well...The Foyles, you know, always have been hard to resist." (Enemy Fire S3E2)
"If Michael Kitchen played a corpse, you would still watch him more than anyone else." (Jaci Stephen, The Mail, November 3, 2002)
kitchenwonder

Re: The “Wow” of Foyle’s War

Postby Rhonllor » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:47 pm

That was great kitchenwonder. I had never seen that before. I also liked the Christopher Foyle as James Bond post linked at the bottom of the blog. Pretty funny.

https://bylrose.wordpress.com/2013/11/15/foyle-as-bond/

Rhonda
Rhonllor

Postby amiga » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:27 am

Loved the James Bond piece. Great picture :lol:

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Postby vicky » Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:01 pm

Thanks, kitchenwonder , for sharing this very enjoyable article with us.
It's a lovely tribute to the acting abilities of Mr.K, and so well deserved. He certainly puts the 'Wow' factor into Foyle's War for me.
vicky

Postby kitchenwonder » Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:46 pm

Rhonllor wrote:I also liked the Christopher Foyle as James Bond post linked at the bottom of the blog. Pretty funny.
https://bylrose.wordpress.com/2013/11/15/foyle-as-bond/
Rhonda

Yes, I enjoyed that, too. :thumbsup:

I can envisage MK as Bond! Those other guys are over-rated. :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Well...The Foyles, you know, always have been hard to resist." (Enemy Fire S3E2)
"If Michael Kitchen played a corpse, you would still watch him more than anyone else." (Jaci Stephen, The Mail, November 3, 2002)
kitchenwonder

Postby Sunshine » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:38 pm

Both fine columns! :foyle1:

On the first: I can imagine either Rivers or Brookie (And Brookie was the one taking out the light bulbs! :lol: ) as a "Q"-style character for the knowledge they keep in hand. (Perhaps also a Hugh Reid.) :D

As for a baddie, I think Howard Paige of "Fifty Ships" qualifies nicely. Foyle's declaration to him near the end of the episode - my favorite all-time FW scene - way outdoes any of the Bond quips! :foyle1:

On the second article, I understand fully the reservations about the episodes of the last two series. I think Foyle is still Foyle, but he has to be so in a lot bigger pond. And no longer does he have Milner or Andrew to play off of, and Sam isn't quite what she was for him during the Hastings episodes. If MK wanted him to be involved in intelligence from the beginning, I must respectfully disagree.

I think the Hastings and police backdrop were part of the appeal of the series. And a good part of the appeal of the lead character rests in the knowledge that Foyle, like so many men and women, was quietly and honorably doing his duty, unglamorous though it may have been. :foyle1:
Last edited by Sunshine on Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just looked over the chapter on "Horse Racing and Illegal Rambling."

I haven't got the requisite capacity for deceit.
Sunshine

Postby mohairMK » Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:25 pm

Sunshine wrote:I think the Hastings and police backdrop were part of the appeal of the series. And a good part of the appeal of the lead character rests in the knowledge that Foyle, like so many men and women, were quietly and honorably doing their duty, unglamorous though it may have been.

Well put, and very accurate. :wolseley:
"Think? It's all I've ever done and it's got me absobloodylutely nowhere"
mohairMK

Postby Sunshine » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:40 pm

Did a bit of a grammar alteration. Sorry about that! :oops:
Just looked over the chapter on "Horse Racing and Illegal Rambling."

I haven't got the requisite capacity for deceit.
Sunshine

Postby lrose » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:50 am

Hello All - I finally registered with QE! True story: I was out shopping with my sister a couple of years ago and in conversation the topic of great PBS programming came up. I suddenly gushed, "Oh, my God...have you seen Foyle's War!? I love it!" She looked at me in total amazement and, in an almost scolding tone, said, "How is it you've not known about it until now!?" She and I are fans of PBS Sunday night programming, but for whatever reason (work) I'd missed most of all of the series. I love reading the feedback on this site to a something I wrote largely on a desperate impulse to want to post something to my blog. I received hundreds of hits the first day, in large part because QE found it and encouraged her followers to read it. I wrote these posts 1.5 yrs ago now and both still get almost daily hits. My friends who helped me with the Bond farce think it's fantastic folks are still reading it.I genuinely love reading all the comments since then. From time to time I cut/paste them to the blog post for my readers to enjoy. I miss watching MK's performance and hope we in the US get to see more of his work in the future. Also looking forward to AH's next series. :wave: :thankyou: -LRose
lrose

Postby kitchenwonder » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:24 am

lrose wrote:...True story: I was out shopping with my sister a couple of years ago and in conversation the topic of great PBS programming came up. I suddenly gushed, "Oh, my God...have you seen Foyle's War!? I love it!" She looked at me in total amazement and, in an almost scolding tone, said, "How is it you've not known about it until now!?"...

I'm pleased to know a bit of the backstory that led to your love of FW :foyle1: and crush on MK. As you read above, I believe you captured my feelings about FW and MK. Perhaps they are universal for true fans!?!? I won't say any more here. Hopefully you'll add more when you post in the new member introductions thread. I imagine everyone will pile on there with all sorts of questions for you! In the meantime, glad you are here! :wave:
kitchenwonder

Postby vicky » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:19 pm

Irose, so pleased that you've joined this happy band of FW and MK devotees.
I certainly enjoyed reading your splendid blog, and wonderful analysis of
why we are all entranced by the quiet, charismatic detective who stole our hearts.
vicky

Postby mohairMK » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:06 pm

vicky wrote:Irose, so pleased that you've joined this happy band of FW and MK devotees.
...we are all entranced by the quiet, charismatic detective who stole our hearts.

:foyle5: :thumbsup:
"Think? It's all I've ever done and it's got me absobloodylutely nowhere"
mohairMK

Postby Anglophile » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:46 pm

lrose wrote: I wrote these posts 1.5 yrs ago now and both still get almost daily hits. My friends who helped me with the Bond farce think it's fantastic folks are still reading it.I genuinely love reading all the comments since then. From time to time I cut/paste them to the blog post for my readers to enjoy. I miss watching MK's performance and hope we in the US get to see more of his work in the future. Also looking forward to AH's next series. :wave: :thankyou: -LRose

I stumbled across your brilliant posts last December and was so tickled I cut & pasted them, then emailed the link to myself for further safe-keeping. You hit the nail right on the head! So glad to have you with us, welcome aboard. :wave:
"Why have you brought us to shelter in the fuel dump, Andrew?"
Anglophile

Return to Interviews and Articles