The Way of the World?

With / about Michael Kitchen

The Way of the World?

Postby starlight » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:43 pm

This article from a Vermont site cropped up in Google Alerts:
http://www.berkshireeagle.com/berkshire ... re-theresa

The subject is a modern-day reworking of Congreve's The Way of the World, by Theresa Rebeck, and mention is made of the author having
...seen a production of [Congreve's original] years earlier starring award-winning English actors Michael Kitchen and Amanda Root.

Really :eek: ? Does anyone have any evidence of this production? Can't see it listed on the MK site. :noidea:
Do I need to remind you...how much you can trust me?
starlight

Re: The Way of the World?

Postby jewell » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:54 pm

I don't see it on Amanda Root's IMBD, either. I thought maybe she'd gotten the male lead mixed up.

A play, perhaps?

J
"When they ask why, I'll go: well, it's the least, no, honestly, it's the very bloody least I could do!

"And not just decked him. No! Fried the devious, dirty bastard to a crisp in the luxury of his over-waxed car!"
jewell

Postby starlight » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:13 pm

jewell wrote:A play, perhaps?

J

Yes, I've no doubt she means a stage production. But can't find any mention of it.
Do I need to remind you...how much you can trust me?
starlight

Postby Lynnedean » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:12 pm

Interesting. Unfortunately, being a theatrical production, it's not something about which information could easily be found. I think that we can be fairly sure that we have a comprehensive list of productions from 1971 onwards (Michael Kitchen - stage appearances), so if Mr K was ever in such a play, it was probably in the very early days of his stage career.
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby Wolesley » Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:15 am

Could she be confusing Congreve's play with Vanbrugh's The Provok'd Wife, another Restoration comedy? MK played Heartfree in the 1980 NT production, the object of desire of two women, and there was an aunt and a niece in the plot. One of the female leads was Brenda Blethyn.

Lesley
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Postby Lynnedean » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:57 am

Wolesley wrote:Could she be confusing Congreve's play with Vanbrugh's The Provok'd Wife, another Restoration comedy? MK played Heartfree in the 1980 NT production, the object of desire of two women, and there was an aunt and a niece in the plot.

Amanda Root wasn't anywhere in the cast of the NT's 1980 production of The Provok'd Wife. It would be difficult to confuse the two plays, I reckon, and if Theresa Rebeck has managed it, she's also confused the cast members she saw.

And I thought my memory was bad. :-?
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby jewell » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:52 pm

Does she have an email/twitter, etc?
"When they ask why, I'll go: well, it's the least, no, honestly, it's the very bloody least I could do!

"And not just decked him. No! Fried the devious, dirty bastard to a crisp in the luxury of his over-waxed car!"
jewell

Return to Interviews and Articles