Bold, italic, underline

How do I...?

Bold, italic, underline

Postby Samfan » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:10 pm

OK, I was probably the last person to discover this, but I just found out that if you highlight first the section of text in your post that you want to bold, make italic, or underline, it is much easier: it will automatically put the little [b] and {/b] (for example) around your highlighted text. I had been clicking, say the italic button, then cutting and pasting my text in between the [i] and {/i]. MUCH more efficient to highlight it first. Wish I had discovered that a long time ago.... :awkward:

( I used { instead of [ here to illustrate; otherwise, it actually made my 'and' and 'and' either bold or in italics).

Samfan
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Re: Bold, italic, underline

Postby Wolesley » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:20 am

Well done! Better late than... :biggrin: Makes posting long fanfics way easier, too!

Lesley
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Re: Bold, italic, underline

Postby Samfan » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:08 pm

Y'know, after I published my original post, it occurred to me that highlighting first before clicking the (B/I/U) keys is exactly what I do in, say Pages, Word, or OpenOffice :duh: Those use HTML/XML/XHTML code to create documents (just like websites--like this one). It was just a bit confusing for me to have to use the buttons here, and then seeing the code actually appear in the text before submitting it (this is a bit hard to explain).

All the more embarrassing because as part of my library/information science program, I took a course on website design, and learned some code. I've just gotten away from it ("if you don't use it, ya lose it...) :oops:

I actually like writing code. It's fun, particularly when using something like Dreamweaver, to see it in graphic form as you're writing the code--it's like magic.

off to practice writing code.... :lol:

Samfan
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Return to How to - your Message Board queries answered