How do I...?

Postby amiga » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:26 pm

Most of the pictures in the gallery seem to be 120x120. When I try to upload a picture from my own gallery, it says it has to be 100x100. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Re: Avatar

Postby Lynnedean » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:49 pm

Are you trying to upload from a folder on your home computer, Amiga? If so, then I think the problem is something to do with the phpBB system, because the FreeForum phpBB board wouldn't allow uploading from a member's computer, either, even though it gave the option in the member's control panel.

If you wish to use one of your own images, I suggest uploading it to an account on an image hosting website (as explained in "Posting images" thread in this sub-forum) and set it from there as your avatar. Enter the URL of the chosen image in the "Link off-site" box in the "Edit Avatar" section of your User Control Panel. Note that in this case, you should then delete the brackets containing IMG from the beginning of the line, and those containing /IMG from the end (the bracketed IMG prefix and /IMG suffix are used only when inserting an image into the body of the text of a message to be posted on the board).

As for the image dimensions, it's rather confusing. The board states that images should be 100x100, but it accepts the 120x120 images in the gallery without making any adjustments. It also says the file size should be 6.00 KiB, but doesn't apply that rule, either, which is just as well, as 6.00 KiB is actually impossibly small. Another head-scratcher for you, Lesley. :D

I hope this helps.

~ Lynne
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby bee » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:04 pm

Thanks for bringing this up, amiga and lynnedean, because I have the same problem. Actually, I had to bring my picture down to 70 x 70 pixels, because otherwise it would have been over 6kb, and now it's so tiny :sad:

Is there any way of getting around that? Thanks! :D
There is no one else...
bee

Postby Lynnedean » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:45 pm

bee wrote:I had to bring my picture down to 70 x 70 pixels, because otherwise it would have been over 6kb, and now it's so tiny

You shouldn't have to reduce your avatar pic to that size, Bee. The board's stated limit is 6 KiB - that's not the same as kb. In fact, it's an odd measurement to use. Ignore the KiB business, as it's just plain daft. Upload your original pic in it's original dimensions to an account on an image hosting website and set it as your board avatar from there. Alternatively, Lesley may be able to add it to her forum gallery.

~ Lynne
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby bee » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:09 pm

Thanks Lynne - I've tried but the limitations seem to be apply regardless of whether you try to upload your avatar from your computer or from imageshack...

edit: having said that, now I have seen that you can specify the pixel qty and fix it at 100, and that's already that better than 70 :wink:
There is no one else...
bee

Postby Lynnedean » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:30 pm

bee wrote:I've tried but the limitations seem to be apply regardless of whether you try to upload your avatar from your computer or from imageshack... [...] having said that, now I have seen that you can specify the pixel qty and fix it at 100

My avatar is loaded from the gallery, but it's 120x120 and those are the dimensions that appear in the relevant boxes, so the board must accept that size. Now you've noticed the boxes for entering the dimensions, have you tried putting 120x120 in there to see what happens? If not, would you mind having a go and letting us know the result.

If it doesn't work, Lesley will no doubt sort the avatar problem out as soon as she can.

~ Lynne
Lynnedean

Postby bee » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:53 pm

Lynnedean wrote:Now you've noticed the boxes for entering the dimensions, have you tried putting 120x120 in there to see what happens? If not, would you mind having a go and letting us know the result.

Yep, I had tried that (both from my computer and from imageshack) and it won't accept more than 100.
There is no one else...
bee

Postby Lynnedean » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:44 pm

And the board's just done the same thing to me, Bee! Fiona made my Alibi avatar for me many moons ago; it's 120 x 120. It's in the forum gallery but I also have a copy of it on Photobucket. Loading the avatar from the gallery causes not the slightest hiccup. However, I've just tried loading it from Photobucket instead, and although that image is of exactly the same dimensions as the one in the gallery, the board has rejected it and told me it's not the correct width and height! Talk about confusing! :puzzled:

Incidentally, my avatar's file size is 15 KB, about which the board isn't complaining.

~ Lynne
Lynnedean

Postby amiga » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:46 am

I tried one from my computer that was 100x76 and it wouldn't accept it, but it did accept one that was 96x100. I was definitely able to upload a larger one from my computer on freeforum.

Thanks.
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Postby Wolesley » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:11 am

Sorry for all the glitches - I have now increased the permitted avatar dimensions to 140 x 140 and the file size to over 8000 bytes. I hope this helps.
Bizarre that the message would be to use 120 x 120 and yet the default size in the settings was 100 x 100... :eyeroll:

Lesley, Admin
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Postby bee » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:08 am

Yippieh it works! Thanks so much for your help! :thumbsup:
There is no one else...
bee

Postby amiga » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:48 pm

Thanks, Lesley! Works perfectly

Amiga :biggrin:
amiga

Postby amiga » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:00 am

Is there any way new Avatars can be added to the gallery? I can't upload them from my computer no matter how small I make them, and I don't have an account on another imaging site.

Thanks

Amiga
amiga

Postby Wolesley » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:00 am

Nancy, I have tried viewing the Message Board with your "permissions," and things look normal, but I can't view your User Control Panel as that is not allowed, even for Admins.

Perhaps if you clear your computer's cookies, and try logging in again?

Your account has all the same access as any other member's, the only difference being that you have the status of a "new user" with some restrictions, until you post at least 5 discussion messages.

After that you become a regular member, with no restrictions. It is all spelled out in the topic, "Guide for New Members."
So just post three more messages and other access will be unlocked for you.

As for the Mahjong, that is still hosted on Fiona's Nothing Fancy site, and she is not maintaining that very much. It only works if your browser is Microsoft Internet Explorer.

Lesley aka Wolesley, Admin
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Return to How to - your Message Board queries answered