Those odd little symbols

How do I...?

Those odd little symbols

Postby ayresorchids » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:09 pm

I did a little search to find out what the little scrolly icons next to each message mean, and found this, in case you, too, were wondering:

https://www.phpbb.com/search/?q=symbols

OK, getting to work now. Really.
...And I do hope that you find somebody who deserves you.
User avatar
ayresorchids
 
Posts: 577
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:51 pm
Location: Arlington, Va.

Re: Those odd little symbols

Postby Wolesley » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:13 pm

I guess I could disable them if anyone is finding them annoying - I think we can figure out the hot topics ourselves. :biggrin:

Lesley, Admin
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
User avatar
Wolesley
 
Posts: 1748
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:48 am
Location: British Columbia, Canada

Re: Those odd little symbols

Postby Lynnedean » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:05 am

Personally, it wouldn't matter to me either way, Lesley: I have to admit that I never take any notice of the icons. :D

~ Lynne
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
User avatar
Lynnedean
 
Posts: 1399
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:56 am
Location: A Geordie living in exile in UK Midlands

Re: Those odd little symbols

Postby hazeleyes57 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:35 am

Except when they are red, which means there's a new snippet for the gathering!! :thumbsup:
User avatar
hazeleyes57
 
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:30 am
Location: Colchester, England, home of the Iceni, Boudicca and jolly nice cake shops

Re: Those odd little symbols

Postby Lynnedean » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:49 am

hazeleyes57 wrote:Except when they are red, which means there's a new snippet for the gathering!!

Not even then, Nicola. To find out if there's a new post, I sign in, click on "Board index" and then on "View new posts", and if there are any, this brings up the list, so all the new posts can be seen at a glance. It saves scrolling down the index; I guess I'm just lazy. :D

~ Lynne
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
User avatar
Lynnedean
 
Posts: 1399
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:56 am
Location: A Geordie living in exile in UK Midlands

Re: Those odd little symbols

Postby hazeleyes57 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:24 am

Lynnedean wrote:
hazeleyes57 wrote:Except when they are red, which means there's a new snippet for the gathering!!

Not even then, Nicola. To find out if there's a new post, I sign in, click on "Board index" and then on "View new posts", and if there are any, this brings up the list, so all the new posts can be seen at a glance. It saves scrolling down the index; I guess I'm just lazy. :D

~ Lynne



But where's the fun in that? That would be the same as being handed all your birthday prezzies at once instead of them being dotted around the house for you to go and hunt out - far more exciting :lol:

(I knew about the 'view new posts', but hey, I have to have something to look forward to!!)

You do, however, get a free pass, 'cos you're usually busy gathering info elsewhere and putting it here... :hug:
User avatar
hazeleyes57
 
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:30 am
Location: Colchester, England, home of the Iceni, Boudicca and jolly nice cake shops

Re: Those odd little symbols

Postby Pers » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:42 pm

hazeleyes57 wrote:But where's the fun in that? That would be the same as being handed all your birthday prezzies at once instead of them being dotted around the house for you to go and hunt out - far more exciting :lol:

(I knew about the 'view new posts', but hey, I have to have something to look forward to!!)

You do, however, get a free pass, 'cos you're usually busy gathering info elsewhere and putting it here... :hug:


I've never played 'hunt the birthday presents' - don't see the appeal. I also use View New Posts to find whatever topics have been posted that I'm not already subscribed to.
Pers
 

Re: Those odd little symbols

Postby hazeleyes57 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:34 pm

Pers wrote:
hazeleyes57 wrote:But where's the fun in that? That would be the same as being handed all your birthday prezzies at once instead of them being dotted around the house for you to go and hunt out - far more exciting :lol:

(I knew about the 'view new posts', but hey, I have to have something to look forward to!!)

You do, however, get a free pass, 'cos you're usually busy gathering info elsewhere and putting it here... :hug:


I've never played 'hunt the birthday presents' - don't see the appeal. I also use View New Posts to find whatever topics have been posted that I'm not already subscribed to.



I was immediately tempted to leave a message saying 'Geez, lighten up, whydon'tcha', but then I thought that was rude, and I try not to be that, where possible. I happen to like hunting prizes, I used to do it with Easter eggs when the children were little. I happen to feel that something I have made an effort to find is more satisfying than having it dropped in my lap, but that in no way suggests that other people should do (or not do) anything they want, the way they want to. :thumbsup:
User avatar
hazeleyes57
 
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:30 am
Location: Colchester, England, home of the Iceni, Boudicca and jolly nice cake shops


Return to How to - your Message Board queries answered

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron