Downloading items from YouTube?

How do I...?

Downloading items from YouTube?

Postby Sunshine » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:39 pm

I moved the question here instead of the "White Heat" string, because it can be used for any occasion:

How do we download items from YouTube?

Thanks.
Just looked over the chapter on "Horse Racing and Illegal Rambling."

I haven't got the requisite capacity for deceit.
Sunshine

Re: Downloading items from YouTube?

Postby Lynnedean » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:15 am

ETA: Before wading your way through this - or, indeed, instead of it - read Amiga's solution to downloading, which doesn't involve installing add-ons to a browser. :D

Here’s as much as I know about downloading, Sunshine. It's a bit long-winded, but that's because Geordies never know when to shut up, not because downloading is complicated. It's for computers running on the Windows OS, but I guess much the same applies to computers that run on others. Mac users, of course, live in a different world - can't help there, I'm afraid. :-?

Most internet browsers have small utilities called add-ons (also referred to as extensions or plug-ins, depending upon what kinds they are) that can be added to them in order to extend their functionality in some way. Which ones are available, and how they are added to your browser, depends upon the browser you use, but you should be able to find a downloader.

I have to say that Internet Explorer doesn’t make it easy to find particular add-ons for that browser. I haven’t used IE for a long time, so I’m not familiar with the way it works these days (I use it now only to play the mahjong games created by Fiona for TMKS and foyleswar.com :D), but I assumed that locating add-ons for it would be as simple as it is in Mozilla Firefox. When I looked, however, I discovered that IE isn’t very user-friendly in that regard! All I can find is an instruction to click on Tools > Manage add-ons > Find more toolbars and extensions, and when I do that I can find nothing relevant in the resulting list. I must surely be missing something – is there a board member who can help out here, please?

I did eventually locate a downloader add-on for IE that is free and without annoying adverts, but to find it, I had to Google “downloader add-ons for IE”! I’m wary of recommending the utility I found, because I’ve never used it; also, it has a limitation in that the files it creates are flv only, which is a standard format but Windows Media Player doesn’t like it, so another media player, such as VLC, is required for playback and the files have to be converted to another format if you want to do other things with them.

Personally, my browser of choice is Mozilla Firefox for which there are hundreds of add-ons, a number of which are download assistants. The utilities are created by Firefox users (so they know what users really want), and the list you're given, which is a doddle to find, includes comments from those who’ve tried them out. Even if all you wish to use a particular browser for is downloading videos from YT or other websites that allow downloading, I’d recommend installing Firefox on your PC (you can have more than one browser on your hard drive). Once installed and you’ve tweaked your security settings, go to Tools > Add-ons > Get add-ons. You’ll be spoilt for choice! (The “Extensions” and “Plug-ins” section of that page will list the items you add, and give the option to disable them if wished.) The particular download extension I use is Download Helper 4.9.8 – the DH symbol sits on the Firefox toolbar and rotates if there is a downloadable item on any web page opened; one click, and DH downloads the video to my hard drive in quick time, giving the choice of flv or the much more useful mp4 format (it will also extract images, though I’ve never used it for such).

Note: For anyone wondering what the VLC player is, it’s a great little multimedia player that can be obtained as a free download from VideoLan

I hope this has been of some help. If I’ve only confused you, please say so and indicate what you’d like explained. I’m sure I can confuse you a lot more. :D

~ Lynne
Last edited by Lynnedean on Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby amiga » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:34 am

I have Real Player and you can download YouTube videos to there. Very easy. When you click on a vido on YouTube a box will appear that says "Download this video". Very easy.

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Postby Lynnedean » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:02 pm

Thanks, Amiga! I don't use RealPlayer because it caused me considerable trouble a while back. In what file format does it download?

~ Lynne
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby amiga » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:30 pm

Lynnedean wrote: Thanks, Amiga! I don't use RealPlayer because it caused me considerable trouble a while back. In what file format does it download?

This might answer your questions, Lynne. It has been a pain in the past, but it's easy to download videos and it will convert them to different formats. I have the free version. It's easy to delete if you don't like it. I have Windows 7. In the "settings" you can program it to always show "download this video".

http://tiny.cc/2kz3aw

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Postby Lynnedean » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:23 pm

Thanks, kidda. I love the Firefox add-on, so I'll stick with that, but it's useful to know that the problems with RP have been sorted out.

~ Lynne
Lynnedean

Postby Sunshine » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:08 pm

Thanks everyone (including what I got in my Inbox.)! :thumbsup:
Just looked over the chapter on "Horse Racing and Illegal Rambling."

I haven't got the requisite capacity for deceit.
Sunshine

Postby LionsGate » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:32 pm

Thank you, Lynne!

Just DL'd my first couple of vids...and it was so easy. BTW, FF16 rocks! :biggrin:

Sharing them for those with an interest in piano or cello.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbjzPKTfjlc&hd=1

Wee ladde memories of my mother playing pieces such as this on her Steinway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry4BzonlVlw&hd=1

Way to throw that bow, Steven! :thumbsup:
LionsGate

Postby Lynnedean » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:50 pm

Glad to have been of help, Richard. :biggrin:

Don't mean to take this off-topic, but have to say that I'm not sure I should have followed your links, because it looks as though the second one's gonna cost me. I'd never heard of the PianoGuys; now I rather think I'm hooked! Amazon, here I come ...

~ Lynne
Lynnedean

Postby mohairMK » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:07 pm

Another idea: I use a Mac and discovered a brilliant little app called Airy for downloading YouTube videos. It allows you to download in 4 different formats: mp4, flv, webm, 3gp in a variety of resolutions, including just the sound in MP3 (I found this extremely useful for all the MK "music videos" KF and Jillybean have been making for us!). It can be used directly from your Mac, or through the Firefox bookmark bar, and other browsers that will accept this feature. You can download multiple links at the same time, and try it out for free with 5 downloads. The full version is fairly reasonable for all that it does. :whistling:
It can be found at:

http://mac.eltima.com/youtube-downloader-mac.html
"Think? It's all I've ever done and it's got me absobloodylutely nowhere"
mohairMK

Return to How to - your Message Board queries answered