Scrolling icons

How do I...?

Scrolling icons

Postby jewell » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:10 pm

I've tried to figure it out.

What does it mean when the icon "paragraphs" scroll? On my screen, it happens on the "Hacks" post and now the "Mr.K on YouTube cont'd" post does it also.

What does it mean!!!??

It is slightly ominous...

Jewell
"When they ask why, I'll go: well, it's the least, no, honestly, it's the very bloody least I could do!

"And not just decked him. No! Fried the devious, dirty bastard to a crisp in the luxury of his over-waxed car!"
jewell

Re: Scrolling icons

Postby Lynnedean » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:54 am

Not sure what you mean by icon paragraphs, Jewell. :puzzled: Would you give a bit more explanation, please. :smile:

Whatever is happening , it sounds as though it may be mouse or keyboard related. If you're using a wireless mouse/keyboard, you could try changing the batteries.

~ Lynne
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby bee » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:14 am

Lynne, when you look at the "youtube" and the "Hacks review" thread in a thread overview (active topics or similar) the icon on the left keeps moving. I've noticed that, too, and wondered about it. :eek:

Maybe it has simply to do with the thread length, 30 posts or more or something? At first I thought it applied to threads with more than one page, but then the "Hacks caps" thread does not do it. Anyway I'm curious, too :D
There is no one else...
bee

Postby Lynnedean » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:32 am

Oh, I see - it's only the thread marker that's being referred to. Thanks, Bee. :biggrin: Nothing to do with hardware, then; or software, for that matter. I haven't noticed it because I never use that overview.

I reckon it's just an indication of which topics are the most active going on view count - possibly triggered by view count topping 500?

~ Lynne
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby Wolesley » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:01 am

Yes, that is a strange feature, and I think Lynne is right, that it simply indicates a very busy and often viewed topic.

Lesley
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Postby jewell » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:20 pm

Thanks for your replys.

I imagined Lesley would have the definitive answer - glad to know I might not the only one who often says about the computer "Why's it doing that?"

I'll try to watch for the next post that gets close to 500 and see if Lynne is right. Terribly exciting!

Jewell

Lynne, Love your Nash quote!
"When they ask why, I'll go: well, it's the least, no, honestly, it's the very bloody least I could do!

"And not just decked him. No! Fried the devious, dirty bastard to a crisp in the luxury of his over-waxed car!"
jewell

Postby jewell » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:40 pm

I still can't figure it out.

It's not 500 views - "Hacks Caps" has over 500, no scroll; "Snow????" has only 417 views with scroll.

Might be the post count - I'll look into that.

Pretty trivial, I know, but it does intrigue me. Simple minds and all...

Jewell

jewell

Postby Lynnedean » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:06 pm

Someone has asked this question on the phpBB support forum, Jewell. The answer given is that the scrolling symbol indicates a "hot" topic ... phpBB community: Scrolling symbols?. Perhaps it also has to do with how recent the posting/viewing activity has been.

~ Lynne
Lynnedean

Return to How to - your Message Board queries answered