Rhys Thomas tweets Pern Return

Re: Rhys Thomas tweets Pern Return

Postby amiga » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:34 pm

BEYOND THE JOKE
THE LOWDOWN ON STAND-UP COMEDY FROM BRUCE DESSAU

As if the world has not been rocked enough by superstar deaths in the last twelve months it now transpires that another legend was lost. Brian Pern, lead singer of Thotch and passionate campaigner for mollusc safety, recently passed away following a tragic Segway accident.

The BBC pays tribute to Pern in this documentary by Rhys Thomas OBE (self-proclaimed) in which stars from the world of music, current affairs and gardening line-up to sing his praises. I’ve a sneaking suspicion that some of the footage of unlikely Thotch fans might have been borrowed from other shows, but maybe it wasn't. Lest, we forget, Pern was a pivotal figure in the history of music – and politics. According to this documentary Tony Blair was in an embryonic Thotch line-up.

Or at least he would have been if Pern had existed. This, is, of course, a spoof documentary, brilliantly bringing us right up to date with Simon Day’s alter ego, part-Peter Gabriel with a little bit of Brian May in the mix too (and some Bowie too). For music buffs the clever, close-to-the-truth references will add extra laughs, but this will be hilarious for anyone who has ever chanced upon a quickly cobbled together programme about a dead celebrity.

Thotch’s ageing lynchpins Tony Pebble (Nigel Havers) and Pat Quid (Paul Whitehouse) are also on hand to bicker about who was the last one to see Brian alive as they prepare for a benefit gig in aid of Segway Awareness at the Royal Albert Hall. And manager John Farrow (Michael Kitchen) gives Rhys Thomas OBE a reluctant interview having just given his best quotes to Scorcese, who is making a major Pern package for Netflix. (if only) :lol:

Lucy Montgomery and Jane Asher play a couple of Pern’s wives, Christopher Eccleston reprises his turn as Pern’s gobby Mancunian producer, John Thomson plays his superfan and among the celebrities taking part who may - or may not – have been true Thotch fans are Phil Collins and David Baddiel (billed as Danny Dyer). The highlight is probably Peter Davison recalling Pern’s feeble acting on Dr Who. If the clip of him repeatedly telling the Doctor to drop his sonic screwdriver doesn’t make you rush out and buy the Thotch back catalogue nothing will.

Brian Pern: A Tribute, BBC4, Wednesday, March 29, 10pm. It will be followed by Brian Pern at the BBC at 10.40pm, which will be a look back at Thotch's greatest hits.
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Postby starlight » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:19 am

http://www.beyondthejoke.co.uk/content/ ... ibute-bbc4
Thotch’s ageing lynchpins Tony Pebble (Nigel Havers) and Pat Quid (Paul Whitehouse) are also on hand to bicker about who was the last one to see Brian alive as they prepare for a benefit gig in aid of Segway Awareness at the Royal Albert Hall. And manager John Farrow (Michael Kitchen) gives Rhys Thomas OBE a reluctant interview having just given his best quotes to Scorcese [sic], who is making a major Pern package for Netflix. :bouncy:

Lucy Montgomery and Jane Asher play a couple of Pern’s wives, Christopher Eccleston reprises his turn as Pern’s gobby Mancunian producer, John Thomson plays his superfan and among the celebrities taking part who may - or may not – have been true Thotch fans are Phil Collins :thumbsup: and David Baddiel (billed as Danny Dyer). The highlight is probably Peter Davison recalling Pern’s feeble acting on Dr Who. If the clip of him repeatedly telling the Doctor to drop his sonic screwdriver doesn’t make you rush out and buy the Thotch back catalogue nothing will.
Do I need to remind you...how much you can trust me?
starlight

Postby amiga » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:45 am

"Brian Pern died because I ran out of ideas, says creator

The creator of TV’s aged fictional rock star Brian Pern has said he killed off the character because he had simply run out of ideas to take his story further.

Rhys Thomas began work on a star-studded tribute programme for the former Thotch band member after reading a review that suggested the mockumentary series was getting tired.“There would always have been an opening to go back,” Rhys said, “but we have taken it as far as we can go and we were running out of ideas.“Then I read a review about the show that said it was beginning to wear a bit thin.”

He described the special broadcast as a spoof of the media’s quick reaction to celebrity deaths, creating rushed documentaries with tributes from “talking heads”.
After a three-series run of The Life Of Rock With Brian Pern on BBC Four, the demise of the rockstar (played by Simon Day) appears to follow on from the string of unexpected star deaths last year.“We actually started on the idea before all that happened, so it accidentally became very topical,” Rhys continued.

“For our last series in January 2016, we had already featured a clip of Bowie and we also starred Rick Parfitt, so it was devastating when we lost him, and we always wanted to have George Michael on the show.”

The series followed the later years of Brian, embarking on hair-brained ideas for musical and charity projects as his career in the limelight wound down.

Stars such as Phil Collins, Monty Don, Nigel Havers, Paul Whitehouse and David Baddiel will pay their respects on the special tribute programme.

Phil’s role – which appears to be a cover to promote his autobiography Not Dead Yet – is a particularly ironic one as the series was originally influenced by his previous band, Genesis.

Rhys said that Brian’s lovable, eccentric character was inspired by a combination of stars such as Peter Gabriel and Brian May.
“There are all these intelligent and talented men who you don’t see so much of when then play in a band, and then there are the archetypal rock stars.

“Brian Pern and Thotch were like every single band in one.”

But while the commemorative final episode may spell the end of Brian, Rhys said that he had plans to work with the same team on new projects, including a Review Of The Year show for 2017."

http://tv.bt.com/tv/tv-news/brian-pern- ... 4169043263

:-x :sad:
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Postby amiga » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:55 pm

..........“We have done enough with him now. I didn’t want people to think we’ve done the last one and he’s really alive. There won’t be any more after this one. That’s the end. Personally, though, I think [Peter Gabriel] did kill him. I think he’s dead."

However, Thomas added that he is mulling over ideas for spin-off series with Gary Farrow or Pebble and Quid: "I think the rest of the characters might come back. I would love to do that." :applause: :bananadance: :bouncy:

It's too bad the writer couldn't get Farrow's name right. Twice he called him "Gary".

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-03- ... ing-rocker

Amiga
amiga

Postby Wolesley » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:24 am

Ooooo, a spinoff! I certainly agree that Farrow would make a fabulous central character in a new series! :biggrin:

Lesley
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Postby kitchenwonder » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:20 am

amiga wrote:.
It's too bad the writer couldn't get Farrow's name right. Twice he called him "Gary".
http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-03- ... ing-rocker
Amiga

At least the article was corrected to "John" Farrow. :lol:
"Well...The Foyles, you know, always have been hard to resist." (Enemy Fire S3E2)
"If Michael Kitchen played a corpse, you would still watch him more than anyone else." (Jaci Stephen, The Mail, November 3, 2002)
kitchenwonder

Postby kitchenwonder » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:29 am

Wolesley wrote:Ooooo, a spinoff! I certainly agree that Farrow would make a fabulous central character in a new series! :biggrin:

Lesley

I'm sure we are not alone in hoping... Please. Please. Please. :applause: :dancing6: :applause:
"Well...The Foyles, you know, always have been hard to resist." (Enemy Fire S3E2)
"If Michael Kitchen played a corpse, you would still watch him more than anyone else." (Jaci Stephen, The Mail, November 3, 2002)
kitchenwonder

Postby Lynnedean » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:08 pm

Some caps of Farrow in the Brian Pern Tribute ...

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby amiga » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:22 pm

Thanks, Lynne. Farrow is one of my favorite MK characters. Maybe because every time he opens his mouth, something jarring spills out. He is just brilliant at this stuff.

Amiga
amiga

Postby mohairMK » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:08 pm

Wolesley wrote:Thanks for these links! Our boy is looking very good - from the brief glimpse he seems to have lost a bit of weight, and has a great tan, whether real or applied.
They've certainly left lots of room for a miraculous resurrection of Pern some time in the future! "The body was never found..." Lesley

Wouldn't THAT be fun?! :-P
"Think? It's all I've ever done and it's got me absobloodylutely nowhere"
mohairMK

Postby mohairMK » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:09 pm

amiga wrote:"The body was never found... There's hope! Sounds like a Fffarrow scheme to me :eyeroll:

Amiga

Doesn't it just? :lol:
"Think? It's all I've ever done and it's got me absobloodylutely nowhere"
mohairMK

Postby Wolesley » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:10 pm

Does anyone know the viewer stats for this 'final' Brian Pern?

Lesley
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Postby Sunshine » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:20 pm

amiga wrote:"The body was never found... There's hope! Sounds like a Fffarrow scheme to me :eyeroll:

Amiga

Well, that last scene seems to indicate something's afoot (and not just loafers! :D )....
Just looked over the chapter on "Horse Racing and Illegal Rambling."

I haven't got the requisite capacity for deceit.
Sunshine

Postby Englishfan » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:59 pm

I'm just now catching up on the forum.

I sure hope there's a new series......in my heart of hearts, I'd love to see Roland the travel agent in a series on TV, but I guess that hope is not going to become reality. Or maybe......

But any series with Mr. Kitchen will be perfect.

Huge role, I hope.

Oh, there, I'm getting greedy again.

Just get the man on tv. And the big screen. Thanks, world,

Englishfan
Englishfan

Previous

Return to News of new projects