Brian Pern

Re: Brian Pern

Postby Lynnedean » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:23 pm

Seems that it's not just the DVD set cover that hasn't yet been finalised. Rhys Thomas has tweeted that he's just finished editing the extras.
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby amiga » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:32 pm

Lynnedean wrote:Seems that it's not just the DVD set cover that hasn't yet been finalised. Rhys Thomas has tweeted that he's just finished editing the extras.

Says he has too many extras. Hope he doesn't edit out any of John Farrow!

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Postby amiga » Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:11 pm

Brian Pern, Series 3 Ep 2 of 45 Years of Prog and Roll is up on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk81ZWG-gzM

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Postby Lynnedean » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:53 am

On Twitter this evening, Rhys Thomas tweeted to say that the Pern DVDs have an extra episode that has not been seen.
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby amiga » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:22 am

Rhys Thomas ‏@RhysThomasOBE Apr 1

Brian Pern: The Life of Rock/A Life in Rock/45 Years of Prog and Roll [Blu-... http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01BI4VRBW/r ... .wb0ZA6P22 … via @AmazonUK

on DVD, Blu Ray and iTunes download

".......Michael Kitchen regularly steals the show as Brian’s manager John Farrow…
Rhys: I wrote the part for him, because I knew how he’d deliver it. He’s easy to write for. "

Full interview......

http://loaded.co.uk/brian-pern-simon-da ... xt-series/

Amiga

PS. I can't find it on iTunes
amiga

Postby kitchenwonder » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:58 am

amiga wrote:Brian Pern: The Life of Rock/A Life in Rock/45 Years of Prog and Roll [Blu-... http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01BI4VRBW/r ... .wb0ZA6P22 … via @AmazonUK
on DVD, Blu Ray and iTunes download
Amiga

And if you don't want Blu-ray: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brian-Pern-Life ... brian+pern
:biggrin:
"Well...The Foyles, you know, always have been hard to resist." (Enemy Fire S3E2)
"If Michael Kitchen played a corpse, you would still watch him more than anyone else." (Jaci Stephen, The Mail, November 3, 2002)
kitchenwonder

Postby amiga » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:13 pm

kitchenwonder wrote:And if you don't want Blu-ray: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brian-Pern-Life ... brian+pern
:biggrin:

Thanks. I didn't notice it was the Blu-ray link

Amiga
amiga

Postby Sunshine » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:37 pm

Great interview.

And I can picture John Farrow gleefully (and profanely, of course!) promoting what Day and Thomas were talking about for the next series! :lol:
Just looked over the chapter on "Horse Racing and Illegal Rambling."

I haven't got the requisite capacity for deceit.
Sunshine

Postby amiga » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:41 pm

Hope some writer is paying attention....

......"But the real revelation is Michael Kitchen’s comic timing. As John Farrow, he fuses an affectionate homage to Queen’s manager and lawyer Jim Beach, with a pop-up book of tourettes that makes Gordon Ramsey seem like a mummy’s boy. Farrow is the unsung hero of the saga: yes, he puts Brian in dogy situations, but he’s usually the one who gets him out of them, too. The pair can’t stand one another, yet they can’t bear to be apart, and there are moments when John’s loyalty to Brian in spite of it all make him positively endearing, in spite of all the f-bombs. In the hands of this incredibly underrated actor, the character is a real triumph, and it’s a testament to the show that they’ve held onto him since the early viral videos......"

Full glowing review....
https://thevelvetonion.com/2016/04/10/r ... rettyPhoto

Amiga
amiga

Postby Wolesley » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:18 pm

Fantastic! And all true!

Only thing I disagree with is saying that MK is "incredibly underrated."
I think it's just that he keeps such a low profile in terms of publicity for any project he's doing, and seems to avoid even making himself available for any award nominations, that it gives the impression that he's under-appreciated.

Lesley
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Postby Englishfan » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:31 pm

Wolesley wrote:Fantastic! And all true!

Only thing I disagree with is saying that MK is "incredibly underrated."
I think it's just that he keeps such a low profile in terms of publicity for any project he's doing, and seems to avoid even making himself available for any award nominations, that it gives the impression that he's under-appreciated.

Lesley

Agree.

E'fan
Englishfan

Postby amiga » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:36 pm

I don't think he's underrated when he does something, as he always gets good reviews. I think he just doesn't get considered for roles, perhaps in part due to his stipulations. According to this recent interview, he obviously wants to work more than the minor parts he has done in recent years in White Heat and the upcoming, The Collection.

"....Speaking at the WSW London Equity Branch Meeting on December 3, 2015, Michael Simkins brought up Michael Kitchen during the Q&A:

I know that Michael Kitchen has his [nemesis] – he’s frustrated because he doesn’t get enough film parts...."

Amiga
amiga

Postby Samfan » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:13 pm

amiga wrote:I don't think he's underrated when he does something, as he always gets good reviews. I think he just doesn't get considered for roles, perhaps in part due to his stipulations. According to this recent interview, he obviously wants to work more than the minor parts he has done in recent years in White Heat and the upcoming, The Collection.

"....Speaking at the WSW London Equity Branch Meeting on December 3, 2015, Michael Simkins brought up Michael Kitchen during the Q&A:

I know that Michael Kitchen has his [nemesis] – he’s frustrated because he doesn’t get enough film parts...."

Amiga

Do you have a link to that interview, Amiga?

Samfan
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Postby amiga » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:37 pm

Samfan, Kitchenfoyle posted the quote, but the interview link was broken. I found it here. It's a PDF file. His interview starts on Page 8

https://www.equity.org.uk/branches/west ... ewsletter/

Amiga
amiga

Postby Wolesley » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:27 am

Very interesting talk!
I love the remark about the chain of nemesises:
Andrew MacBean > Michael Simkins > Malcolm Sinclair > Michael Kitchen > ???

So which actor is getting all the parts MK wouldn't say no to, I wonder? :whistling:

Lesley
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Postby vicky » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:48 pm

Thanks for the link, Amiga. Pity we'll never know the name of the actor who's
getting the parts which MK would like. It's probably someone who doesn't
shun publicity, and who is willing to give the occasional interview.
vicky

Postby Sunshine » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:47 pm

vicky wrote:Thanks for the link, Amiga. Pity we'll never know the name of the actor who's
getting the parts which MK would like. It's probably someone who doesn't
shun publicity, and who is willing to give the occasional interview.

It's Mr. I.M. Public, perhaps. :lol:
Just looked over the chapter on "Horse Racing and Illegal Rambling."

I haven't got the requisite capacity for deceit.
Sunshine

Postby Englishfan » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:39 pm

Sunshine wrote:It's Mr. I.M. Public, perhaps. :lol:

Funny!

He's shy, right? I have consistently found that shy people should be allowed to be shy and not forced. They are shy for a reason. Might not have the nuances to deal with the public. Offers more after deep thought instead of spontaneously, and that's why his email interview was more of a picture as to who he is and what's important to him, than a verbal interview could ever offer.

Or he's emotional and doesn't want it to show.

Lots of reasons, maybe.

Always the maybe!

He might need to enjoy life, as he probably does, with the parts he's offered since he might be certain that public, impromptu interviews, and TV show interviews are not for him. Maybe that's why he said something (we aren't necessarily positive what!) through the guitar video.

I think he seems quite comfortable with who he is. What more can we ask? Yes, a tell-all book, but realistically.....!

Mr. Kitchen could be taught, if willing, to interview without telling all, but he has drawn a deep line between his privacy and his career. Makes me sad, but he clearly does not want me or you to know more.

I DO WISH Mr. Kitchen would publicly thank his fans. Again, maybe he does in his own way that doesn't translate to the gratitude I hoped he would have mentioned at the end of the FW DVD, etc. Maybe that's what the guitar video was about.

I would just like to be able to post something without the maybes, probably, not sure, etc. in every line!!!!!!!

Englishfan
Englishfan

Postby jewell » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:06 pm

Englishfan wrote:He's shy, right? I have consistently found that shy people should be allowed to be shy and not forced. They are shy for a reason. Might not have the nuances to deal with the public. Offers more after deep thought instead of spontaneously, and that's why his email interview was more of a picture as to who he is and what's important to him, than a verbal interview could ever offer.

Or he's emotional and doesn't want it to show.

Or, he's saving himself for me!
"When they ask why, I'll go: well, it's the least, no, honestly, it's the very bloody least I could do!

"And not just decked him. No! Fried the devious, dirty bastard to a crisp in the luxury of his over-waxed car!"
jewell

Postby Englishfan » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:49 pm

jewell wrote:Or, he's saving himself for me!

And then YOU will write the tell-all book?! :thumbsup:

Englishfan
Englishfan

PreviousNext

Return to News of new projects