Brian Pern

Re: Brian Pern

Postby amiga » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:36 am

Scottish and Shakespeare! I wouldn't even attempt it, even with subtitles :lol:

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Postby Lynnedean » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:45 am

Finale of the latest series was another triumph. The BBC would be crazy not to recommission further episodes of what has turned out to be one of the funniest, and cleverest, things on TV. As it is, Rhys Thomas has given indication that another series may indeed be on the cards, but that it will be quite a while before we see more Pern (I'm assuming that means it won't be until some time next year).

Seems that a great many fans of Pern think that Michael Kitchen's foul-mouthed John Farrow is one of the best things about the series and steals the show. If you're not on Twitter but would like to read what's being said about The Man, go ahead and sign up - just do so incognito if you're wary of it (and be sure to block any odd, unknown 'followers' you may pick up over time!). Once on board, search for #"Michael Kitchen"; you can also follow Rhys Thomas, who re-tweets many of the comments. :smile:

ETA: Have realised that the hashtag used must be precise - to find the long list of comments re Farrow, the hashtag must be entered as shown; any other way (e.g. without quotation marks) will produce different results.
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby starlight » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:57 am

Lynnedean wrote:Seems that a great many fans of Pern think that Michael Kitchen's foul-mouthed John Farrow is one of the best things about the series and steals the show. :smile:

You're not likely to hear much dissent on this forum, Lynne :D . MK has picked another winner of a character. Glaring differences, obviously, between Foyle and Farrow, style- and vocabulary-wise. But amazingly, there are commonalities! Both are wily, pugnacious, analytical. Farrow might be Foyle uncorked, but he's basically on the side of the angels :lol:
Do I need to remind you...how much you can trust me?
starlight

Postby amiga » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:44 pm

Brilliant performance by all of them. Michael Kitchen was made for comedy. His delivery of lines, along with the eyes and the faces, is pure perfection. I always loved his more comedic rolls. Along with the writing of Rhys Thomas, it is pure gold.

MK is certainly getting rave reviews on Twitter. It's fun to read and see him getting such recognition.

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Postby Lynnedean » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:35 pm

starlight wrote:
Lynnedean wrote:Seems that a great many fans of Pern think that Michael Kitchen's foul-mouthed John Farrow is one of the best things about the series and steals the show. :smile:

You're not likely to hear much dissent on this forum, Lynne

Y'think? :lol:
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby starlight » Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:33 am

Another review singles out MK. :pleased:

http://channelhopping.onthebox.com/2016 ... rian-pern/

The absolute stand out is Michael Kitchen who bristles with boredom as the Prog star's long-time manager, John Farrow and is a genuinely brilliant comic creation.

Indeed, I think if you took Kitchen away from the show, it would fall very, very flat...
starlight

Postby kitchentease » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:42 pm

starlight wrote: Farrow might be Foyle uncorked :lol:

Ooh, delightful images invoked by that description, Starlight. :thumbsup:
But, what does the brain matter....compared to the heart?
kitchentease

Postby kitchenwonder » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:30 pm

Lynnedean wrote:I enjoy the Pern series in it's own right, but I'm very disappointed that the foul-mouthed Farrow appears to be the only character Michael Kitchen is interested in playing these days. Unfortunately, while it holds his interest, it does just the opposite for me. After thirty-odd years, I think it may be time for a parting of the ways.

Do I detect that you've had a change of heart re: MK portraying Farrow? :asking:

Personally, I can hardly wait to get the DVD in April! :D
"Well...The Foyles, you know, always have been hard to resist." (Enemy Fire S3E2)
"If Michael Kitchen played a corpse, you would still watch him more than anyone else." (Jaci Stephen, The Mail, November 3, 2002)
kitchenwonder

Postby mohairMK » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:42 pm

amiga wrote:...Michael Kitchen was made for comedy...

Certainly the truth! His face, with which Michael created an adorably serious Foyle, has proven perfect for comedy! No one else could do Farrow with such precisely directed humor.
"Think? It's all I've ever done and it's got me absobloodylutely nowhere"
mohairMK

Postby Jillybean » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:24 am

Went to see Brian Pern Live tonight at the Lyric Theatre in London. Sadly the only part with Kitchen was a video link (not live) but as the show was to ' raise money' for Mollusc Awareness (by the interval the total raised was £200.21) not sure Farrow would have turned up for it anyway lol.

They started off by showing a video of a snail crossing a pavement to the song 'Drive, by the The Cars... Very funny.

Lots of funny sketches and lot of songs including Maracaman, Day of the Triffids, I Wish I Had Told my Dad I Loved Him, The Honeycombe is over and the song dedicated to Clive Sinclair (Peter Gabriel's version was Don't Give Up). The Driver came on and did a song and as annoying as he is in the show it actually worked. And both Simon Day and Rhys Thomas were clearly having a blast.

Most of Thotch came on to play live at the end, was great to see Nigel Havers, Paul Whitehouse and the two quiet ones play a few songs including a Christmas medley with 'Christmas in me Car' and the about the football game 'I'd rather be at 'ome with my Missus'. We bumped into Nigel Havers with his wife/GF leaving, but I hadn't yet turned my phone back on so selfie opportunity missed... Argh!

To be honest the one who stole the show for me was Rhys Thomas' wife Lucy, who played Xanadu and predominantly Pepita. She sang a version of Proud Mary, as Pepita - the first half being Soul and the second rock n roll. She has an amazing voice and her comedic timing is flawless.

So sadly my dream of having a selfie with the big man was shattered (for now at least). I couldn't even take a pic of him during his video link as my phone was off. But even if it were on, the video clip only lasted a minute at most, far too short! But it was really nice to hear as soon Rhys Thomas mentioned John Farrow the crowd cheered and clapped loudly. One man in front of us shouted a dedicated "f**k off" lol.

So onto the video. Farrow appears quickly on the big screen, on his laptop and sporting a white t-shirt, blue shorts, a Panama hat and his usual great tan. He was on his yacht with a beautiful sea behind him. The interview was meant to be be very short because he had a round of golf booked with Roger Moore and Joan Armatrading. Some of the Q&As ran along these lines:

RT "Do you have an anecdote about Brian?"
JF "Nope. Next"

RT "Are you thinking of retiring?"
JF "Nope. Next"

RT "So what's the plan, what's coming next?"
JF "Golf in 20 mins with Roger Moore and Joan Armatrading"

Not many more that I can remember off hand but you get the idea. Hubby pointed out Farrow didn't swear once (strange given the last three episodes) :noidea:

My only complaint was a lot of the jokes were from the last three shows but I suppose they would have been fresh if the show had gone ahead last October. But repeated or not, they were still delivered very well so the laughter was still flowing.

But it was a pleasure to see that the audience were clearly BIG fans of Farrow, we just wished there was much more of him...
There's something about you fascinates me...
Jillybean

Postby amiga » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:37 am

Thanks, Jilly (good to see you back) :smile:

Thought there would be more of him than that. Glad you enjoyed it anyway. Guess he has a good excuse being in Paris working. Not that he would have shown up anyway. :lol:

Amiga
amiga

Postby Wolesley » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:47 am

So glad you got to go to the live show, Jilly, and thanks for the report!
'Golf with Roger Moore and Joan Armatrading" makes me laugh out loud! What a pairing! Now, who would make up the fourth?!
Very glad to hear the fans appreciate Farrow! Dare we hope for a live appearance by The Man at the next one, maybe in a year, if he can clear his diary!

Lesley :pleased:
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Postby HarperCurls » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:07 am

Many thanks for the report, Jilly. Glad you had a good time.

Perhaps the response from the audience to Farrow's mention will prompt an appearance at any future shows. We can always hope.
"... you'll want to help Samantha butter those scones."
HarperCurls

Postby Lynnedean » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:57 am

kitchenwonder wrote:Do I detect that you've had a change of heart re: MK portraying Farrow?

I don't like the language, kitchenwonder, and will never be comfortable hearing it. It's due to the way I was brought up, and I'm very thankful for that. I'll put up with it in Pern, though, because the show has turned out to be one of the cleverest and funniest comedy series ever to have been on TV. It's satire, but done with great affection, and I have to admit that, as it's about the way-out world of prog rock, it just wouldn't work without the extreme language.

Jillybean wrote:Went to see Brian Pern Live tonight at the Lyric Theatre in London. Sadly the only part with Kitchen was a video link (not live) [...] But it was really nice to hear as soon Rhys Thomas mentioned John Farrow the crowd cheered and clapped loudly. [...] Hubby pointed out Farrow didn't swear once (strange given the last three episodes) :noidea:

Thanks for the run-down, Jilly. As the f-word has become Farrow's signature, I imagine that the Farrow fans were expecting to hear it and will have been very disappointed not to, and as puzzled as you are as to why he didn't say it. Maybe Rhys Thomas thought it would produce such a response from the audience that he and the others would be upstaged. Nah, of course not; a deliberate tease, I reckon. :lol:
Lynnedean

Postby starlight » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:26 am

A huge cheer goes up as Pern’s manager John Farrow is introduced, though sadly actor Michael Kitchen is on video screen only. :sad:

http://www.chortle.co.uk/review/2016/02 ... brian_pern
starlight

Postby jewell » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:08 pm

starlight wrote:http://www.chortle.co.uk/review/2016/02/02/24087/an_evening_with_brian_pern

Wot??!

No mention of The Man?!
"When they ask why, I'll go: well, it's the least, no, honestly, it's the very bloody least I could do!

"And not just decked him. No! Fried the devious, dirty bastard to a crisp in the luxury of his over-waxed car!"
jewell

Postby Lynnedean » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:08 pm

amiga wrote:re the DVD set ... If anyone buys it, please let us know if there are enough MK extras to make it worth buying.

The extras are now listed on Amazon, Amiga:
- deleted/extended scenes from series 1-3
- bonus episode: Brian Pern at the BBC (a collection of Brian's videos and Top of the Pops performances)
- original Brian Pern webisodes
- the original unseen Pilot filmed in Rhys Thomas' bedroom with Simon Day

Re webisodes, these will be the few short videos that appeared on the old online BBC Comedy Blog several years ago (2009/2010), which led to the development of the Pern character and the TV series. They eventually included two that introduced the character of John Farrow (Crisis? What crisis? and West End Musical), but it remains to be seen whether or not those will be amongst the webisodes (horrible word!) in the DVD set extras.

The BBC Comedy Blog is now archived, so no longer updated, but it is still online and the small collection of Pern videos can be accessed, though probably not outside the UK. Note that the Crisis? What crisis? video is still there, but the West End Musical video is not; for some reason, Musical was available on the BBC website for only a short time.
... BBC Comedy Blog: Brian Pern
Lynnedean

Postby amiga » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:41 pm

Thanks, Lynne. Not even listed on Amazon US. Good thing for those region-free players!

Amiga
amiga

Postby amiga » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:55 pm

Someone just posted the Amazon cover on Twitter and Rhys wanted to know where they got it. Seems the artwork hasn't yet been approved!

Amiga
amiga

Postby Lynnedean » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:26 pm

amiga wrote:Someone just posted the Amazon cover on Twitter and Rhys wanted to know where they got it. Seems the artwork hasn't yet been approved!

Well, I hope the picture on the cover on Amazon is just a temporary filler and not the artwork that's awaiting approval, because to me it looks ghastly and rather amateurish; a poor pastiche. It doesn't bear comparison with the slick spoof DVD, CD and book covers Rhys Thomas keeps tweeting. There's a detail wrong on the Amazon pic, too - says the set contains 2 discs, but the description says 3, which is the more likely, so it does look as though it may be just a temporary image.
Lynnedean

PreviousNext

Return to News of new projects