Brian Pern

Re: Brian Pern

Postby amiga » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:57 pm

starlight wrote:I don't think I've ever seen His Nibs enjoy himself so much.

I agree, Starlight. I know actors act, but I really do think he loves this role. His F-bombs got such good reviews, they added a bunch more :lol: His delivery is brilliant.

That meeting scene was hilarious. Loved when he whacked Pern with the bin. He dominated every scene he was in.

Looking forward to next week.

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Postby Englishfan » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:15 am

Have to figure out how to see it as I was gone when it was on in Denver's time zone. I'll find it somehow! Kind of fun to watch them all together at the end, too.

Amazon and Acorn do not sell the series, do they? I"ve never seen it.

Englishfan
Englishfan

Postby Lynnedean » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:22 am

Englishfan wrote:Amazon and Acorn do not sell the series, do they?

All three series are to be released on DVD this year, Englishfan. I don't think you'll have too long to wait. I imagine it will be made available through the BBC online shop, and on Amazon at some point.
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby Englishfan » Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:23 am

Lynnedean wrote:All three series are to be released on DVD this year, Englishfan. I don't think you'll have too long to wait. I imagine it will be made available through the BBC online shop, and on Amazon at some point.

THANK-YOU!!!!! If you see them, will you post the info?

I will keep looking, too. I'd love to watch them straight through. I am not well-versed (or even just versed!) on the Rock and Roll about which they base the story, and maybe I'd get it if I watched it all straight through. So far, I've only watched Mr. Kitchen. For it to be renewed, thre must be a story line someplace! I'll look for it. Now, I only see blue eyes.

Englishfan
Englishfan

Postby Lynnedean » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:46 am

Englishfan wrote:If you see them, will you post the info?

Worry not, Englishfan; I'm sure that as soon as the release is spotted the info will be posted. I doubt that it will be necessary to keep checking Amazon, as the writer Rhys Thomas will surely announce it on Twitter and those of us who follow him on that website will pick it up straight away. :smile:
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby Lynnedean » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:54 am

I wasn't so happy with last week's episode, but last night's picked up the pace again. It was hilarious, and I don't think you needed to be familiar with the British rock scene to find it so. A preview in the Times said "Heaven help anyone who tries to make a serious rock documentary after this." Yep!
Lynnedean

Postby starlight » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:25 am

I got the impression Roger Taylor's "straight to camera" was actually for real. :rofl:
Do I need to remind you...how much you can trust me?
starlight

Postby Lynnedean » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:02 pm

Rhys Thomas has now alerted us to the forthcoming release of the Pern series on DVD by providing a link to the listing on Amazon UK. All three series will be available as a DVD set (3 discs) on 4th April. Run time 250 mins. It will be priced at £19.99. Note that it will be coded Region 2.

Here is the present Amazon UK listing; presumably the set will also be available from other outlets at some point ... Brian Pern: The Life of Rock/A Life In Rock/45 Years of Prog Rock
Lynnedean

Postby amiga » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:11 pm

If anyone buys it, please let us know if there are enough MK extras to make it worth buying. I already have the episodes.

Thanks.

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Postby Englishfan » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:43 am

Lynnedean wrote:Note that it will be coded Region 2.

Does that code indicate that it's only for Europe?

Thanks for letting us know, Lynne.

Englishfan
Englishfan

Postby Lynnedean » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:25 am

Englishfan wrote:
Lynnedean wrote:Note that it will be coded Region 2.

Does that code indicate that it's only for Europe?

I'm afraid that Region 2 coded discs won't play in the USA or Canada if you don't have a multi-region player or some other way around it, Englishfan. You'd need DVDs coded Region 1. If you want detailed info re region coding, you'll find it here ... Amazon US: About DVD region specifications

Note that Amazon's information regarding the region code on this or that DVD release isn't always correct. I'm in the UK and have sometimes bought discs described as R1 (USA and Canada only) but have played as though region free. For example, Wilderness, (the TV mini-series starring Michael Kitchen), is still being described as R1 on Amazon UK (and it's listed at an idiotically high price!), but it plays without bother on my UK DVD player. I've often wondered if Amazon simply assumes that DVDs are automatically region coded according to the geographical location of the distribution companies concerned, and don't make the effort to check. Incidentally, contacting Amazon to ask will get you nowhere.

Have to say that I doubt I'll be buying the Pern DVD set any time soon, as to my mind it's way over-priced!
Lynnedean

Postby Englishfan » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:19 pm

Lynn
Lynnedean wrote:I'm afraid that Region 2 coded discs won't play in the USA or Canada if you don't have a multi-region player or some other way around it, Englishfan. You'd need DVDs coded Region 1. If you want detailed info re region coding, you'll find it here ... Amazon US: About DVD region specifications

Thank-you! I am afraid I rather remembered that the Region 2 was a no-go for us, but crossed my fingers and asked.

Your additional info is quite helpful.

I'm so wanting to see it all straight through that I might pay the price to do so. Then again, I haven't seen the price!

You are kind to go to the trouble to explain this and I appreciate it.

Englishfan
Englishfan

Postby amiga » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:03 am

Preview of 3rd episode....posted by KF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50_fD3lC7m0

I was able to view it without Hola or Tunnelbear.

Amiga
amiga

Postby mohairMK » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:10 am

amiga wrote:Preview of 3rd episode....posted by KF

Looks fun! Especially this other preview with Martin Freeman:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiFz_OPlNDc

:lol:
"Think? It's all I've ever done and it's got me absobloodylutely nowhere"
mohairMK

Postby amiga » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:14 am

mohairMK wrote:
amiga wrote:Preview of 3rd episode....posted by KF

Looks fun! Especially this other preview with Martin Freeman:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiFz_OPlNDc

:lol:

Agree. Martin F. was funny.

Amiga
amiga

Postby Wolesley » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:32 am

Fantastic, both of 'em! Thanks!
:rofl:

Lesley
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Postby jewell » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:43 pm

Lynnedean wrote:Rhys Thomas has now alerted us to the forthcoming release of the Pern series on DVD by providing a link to the listing on Amazon UK. All three series will be available as a DVD set (3 discs) on 4th April. Run time 250 mins. It will be priced at £19.99. Note that it will be coded Region 2.

Here is the present Amazon UK listing; presumably the set will also be available from other outlets at some point ... Brian Pern: The Life of Rock/A Life In Rock/45 Years of Prog Rock

It doesn't say anything on Amazon about subtitles or closed captions. Are the episodes showing in the UK right now closed captioned?

We've given up on watching anything that isn't captioned - loved my years in aviation but it wasn't kind to my ears.

J
"When they ask why, I'll go: well, it's the least, no, honestly, it's the very bloody least I could do!

"And not just decked him. No! Fried the devious, dirty bastard to a crisp in the luxury of his over-waxed car!"
jewell

Postby amiga » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:56 pm

Closed captions are available when watching on the iPlayer, as are a lot of things. Don't know about the DVD. I use captions on all British shows, as sometimes it's just too fast to follow. I find MK talks very fast sometimes and I have to rewind to understand what he said. Hopefully, the DVD will have captions.

I'm watching a show now on the BBC, Shetland, and it takes place in Scotland. If it didn't have captions, I would hardly understand what they are saying most of the time.

Amiga
amiga

Postby Lynnedean » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:07 pm

amiga wrote:I'm watching a show now on the BBC, Shetland, and it takes place in Scotland. If it didn't have captions, I would hardly understand what they are saying most of the time.

You don't have to be born outside the UK to find a Scottish accent difficult to follow, kidda; I'm from not far over the border from Scotland, and I sometimes have difficulty with it. I recently got the opportunity to see the 2015 film version of Macbeth starring Michael Fassbender. I find a lot of Shakespearean diaglogue hard enough to make sense of at the best of times, but in the film it was delivered in a range of Scottish dialects that rendered it impossible for me to understand. That - and the fact that the filming seemed to have been done during a blinkin' blackout! - made me give up part-way through and leave the cinema. :-?
Lynnedean

Postby marigold » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:30 pm

Lynnedean wrote:
amiga wrote:I'm watching a show now on the BBC, Shetland, and it takes place in Scotland. If it didn't have captions, I would hardly understand what they are saying most of the time.

You don't have to be born outside the UK to find a Scottish accent difficult to follow, kidda; I'm from not far over the border from Scotland, and I sometimes have difficulty with it. I recently got the opportunity to see the 2015 film version of Macbeth starring Michael Fassbender. I find a lot of Shakespearean diaglogue hard enough to make sense of at the best of times, but in the film it was delivered in a range of Scottish dialects that rendered it impossible for me to understand. That - and the fact that the filming seemed to have been done during a blinkin' blackout! - made me give up part-way through and leave the cinema. :-?

So glad someone else had objections. In addition to dialect and blackout, I wasn't wild about the added characters--an extra witch, the first scene with the baby, etc. Made it through but can't say it got a big thumbs up. Such a wonderful script, too. :foyle2:
marigold

PreviousNext

Return to News of new projects