Making a Comeback?

Making a Comeback?

Postby amiga » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:55 am

As much as I would like to see MK again in a drama, I'm really not sure how I feel about this.

https://www.radiotimes.com/people/antho ... noKcDezUPI

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Re: Making a Comeback?

Postby Samfan » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:19 pm

And my question is, would MK and HW (and others) actually do it?
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Postby amiga » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:24 pm

I suspect AH has already bounced this off MK. HW has done some theater, but don't see where she has any major projects coming up.

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Postby Wolesley » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:40 am

Yes, I’d be very surprised if anything developed from AH's remark.
But it really would be nice to get to read those never filmed stories from 1944, in some form!

Lesley
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Postby Sunshine » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:16 pm

I wouldn't mind! :wolseley:
Just looked over the chapter on "Horse Racing and Illegal Rambling."

I haven't got the requisite capacity for deceit.
Sunshine

Postby Katiek » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:11 pm

I am afraid to hope! Would love to see a comeback.
Katiek

Postby amiga » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:18 pm

I'm afraid that it is a case of be careful what you wish for. :noidea:

Amiga
amiga

Postby Lynnedean » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:33 pm

Can't see it happening. Too many years have passed. Foyle was in his fifties; Michael Kitchen is now in his seventies. Honeysuckle Weeks has also aged past the point of being able to play her much younger character; the age difference was already very obvious in the last series. With the best will in the world, you can't turn back the clock.
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby kitchentease » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:43 pm

Lynnedean wrote:With the best will in the world, you can't turn back the clock.

Too true, the last series was hard to watch. It's much more fun imagining a life for Foyle!
But, what does the brain matter....compared to the heart?
kitchentease

Postby Wolesley » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:22 am

Good to see Lynnedean making a comeback...on our forum! :wavehello: :hug: :foyle1:

Lesley
Wolesley

Postby Sunshine » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:36 pm

Wolesley wrote:Good to see Lynnedean making a comeback...on our forum! :wavehello: :hug: :foyle1:

Lesley

Absolutely!!!! :ten:
Just looked over the chapter on "Horse Racing and Illegal Rambling."

I haven't got the requisite capacity for deceit.
Sunshine

Postby Lynnedean » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:23 pm

Haven't been away, folks. In the manner of Mr K, I've just been lying low. :D

Anthony Horowitz was on a UK TV morning chat show (Jeremy Vine, Channel 5) yesterday. The host commented on the Radio Times poll and pleaded for more FW, to which Mr Hwz replied:
    "At the moment it doesn't look terribly likely, I must say. For economic reasons, ITV cannot put the money in, the amount of money that it costs to make a period drama for just a one-off special, even for two episodes, and so it's very difficult for them to come behind us. So, although they support the show, they're not willing to give us any money towards it, but we are looking elsewhere; we're trying to find the money to make it."
    Jeremy Vine queried, "Netflix? Hulu? Amazon?" and Mr Hwz replied, "Actually, the rights are now owned by a company called Acorn, and they would love to do some more."
Looks as though it could happen if Acorn comes through with the cash, but, personally, I think they should let sleeping dogs lie. It may be possible to overcome the problem of funding, but it's not possible to overcome the problem of ageing! (Yes, kitchentease, the last series was hard to watch!)
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby amiga » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:05 pm

I agree with you, Lynn. As much as I would love to see MK on screen again, I just can't imagine what more Foyle would look like. They can't make him younger. If they entertained someone else as a younger Foyle, and just have MK make an appearance as the older Foyle, I would not watch. Well, maybe I would fast forward to his part. :D

I think the problem with the last episodes was they were so serious and dark with no light hearted moments. I can take an older MK easily, but not if he's going to just be grumpy. He wasn't just serious, he was grumpy. Older or not, I know that MK smile and twinkle are still there, as we saw in the recent boat racing pictures.

I think, like you, that they should let sleeping dogs lie. We may be sorry for what we wished for.

Amiga
amiga

Postby Wolesley » Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:46 pm

I'm afraid I have to agree with you both, LOL, that it is probably not a good idea to revive the show at this point.
Unless they can come up with a very clever way of telling an important story from the War or even post-War, without having the actors in an impossibly unbelievable timeframe.
Thanks very much, Lynne, for the quote from the AH interview! I hadn’t known about that one.

And I also agree, Amiga, that Foyle was grumpy in Elise. And inconsistent: he easily forgave Hilda when she apologized for spying on him (he shrugged as if it didn’t matter that much), but when Elizabeth Addis apologized and said she changed her mind and told Hilda she wouldn’t do it, he just said he didn’t believe her. But that’s Kitchen - he never wanted the show to dwell on Foyle's private life.
But in this case, knowing it was the end of the series, wouldn’t it have made sense for an essentially good man to find a life partner?

At least it’s all working out for Foyle and Elizabeth in my fanfic: :foyle1: :foyle5: :rofl:
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13248330/1 ... -and-Addis

Lesley
Wolesley

Postby amiga » Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:57 pm

I love him, but Kitchen can be a pain. Yes, a life partner would have been a great ending, so we didn't have to worry about the lonely old boy. :lol:

I hated AH's Christmas story. If he brings back Foyle as a dottering old man, I won't even fast forward to his parts. He's almost 71, not 100!

Glad he found love in your FF. I'm not a CF/Sam shipper, so Elizabeth ending would have been just fine.

Amiga
amiga

Return to News of new projects