Series 9 trailer on AcornTV

Series 9 trailer on AcornTV

Postby Wolesley » Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:41 pm

Oh my..., this has left me feeling rather dismayed. Violence, darkness, insults, murder, assassination, explosions. And even Foyle being equivocal - 'You're a policeman?' 'Something like that.' This is the first trailer that has NOT got me excited for the new episodes.
The January photos of the filming from crew and bystanders were such a treat, but this trailer...is depressing.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=80 ... 28&fref=nf

Lesley (anxiously hoping there is something uplifting in the new eps) :foyle3:
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Re: Series 9 trailer on AcornTV

Postby Lynnedean » Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:57 pm

Wolesley wrote:Oh my..., this has left me feeling rather dismayed. Violence, darkness, insults, murder, explosions. And even Foyle being equivocal - 'You're a policeman?' 'Something like that.' [...] The January photos of the filming from crew and bystanders were such a treat, but this trailer...is depressing.

Possibly an indication as to why S9 will be the last.

ETA: Made this comment in response to Lesley's post - I couldn't get the video itself to play. Have now seen it. I don't think you have anything to worry about, Lesley; I think S9 may well go out on a high!
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby starlight » Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:10 pm

Well this is a far cry from Jam and Jerusalem isn't it? Well, jam, anyway. There's a bit of Jerusalem in there.

I see Sam has been striking out on her own again, doing dangerous things.

Actually, this looks rather exciting. :bouncy:

I don't mind a bit of dark and nasty, provided Sam emerges in one piece. :biggrin:
Do I need to remind you...how much you can trust me?
starlight

Postby Samfan » Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:44 pm

"...Miss Stewart....?" What's happened to Adam*? And it almost looks like Sam gets shot (but its hard to tell with trailers...). Exciting, yes, but also depressing.

: :sad: Samfan

*Yes, I know that there are people here who love to get rid of Adam--but I don't want that..... :smile:
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Postby Samfan » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:51 pm

Samfan wrote:"...Miss Stewart....?"

Just thought of this: Maybe Sam was 'undercover' and didn't want to use the maybe more well-known last name of "Wainwright."

Samfan
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Postby Lynnedean » Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:16 pm

Wolesley wrote:The January photos of the filming from crew and bystanders were such a treat, but this trailer...is depressing.
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=80 ... 28&fref=nf

For some reason that I can't fathom, the trailer won't play for me on Acorn's Facebook page or their own website. I think it must be a problem with Adobe Flash. A reinstall hasn't solved it, but I'm not too bothered; I'm happy to wait until the New Year.

ETA: Got it! Installed the Chrome browser (after having resisted doing so for blinkin' months!) and that did the trick.

And having been able to watch the trailer, I have to say that it actually looks rather good. I said that I was happy to wait until the New Year - well, now I wish the show was going to air next week!
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby BookwormKate » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:35 pm

Samfan wrote:

Just thought of this: Maybe Sam was 'undercover' and didn't want to use the maybe more well-known last name of "Wainwright."

Samfan

I noticed this on the IMDb page from when they first announced cast lists for the new series (it's on the board somewhere...). HW is listed as "Sam Stewart". While I know AH has his moments of inconsistency, I feel doubtful that he's written Adam out (unfortunately) and think you are probably right it has to do with undercover work. Mind you, from the trailer it looks like she's getting herself into all sorts of trouble again, so perhaps Adam's said, "Look, love, I've got a career to think about - get in to trouble under your own name." :noidea:

Gosh, it's rather dark isn't it? And no one seems to want Foyle around much. I only hope he and Hilda get on a bit more. We may be counting the smiles from our leading man in this series. Let's hope it tallies higher than the last, and that it goes out on a high (and with everyone important in tact!).
"You could do with a good chat then..."
BookwormKate

Postby Wolesley » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:44 pm

I was sort of encouraged to see Hilda Pierce with tears in her eyes. It seems she was not the one who allowed SOE agents to walk into a trap during the War.

I agree, Samfan, that Sam must be using her maiden name to disassociate herself and her spy work from her politician hubby.

Lesley
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Postby starlight » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:50 pm

BookwormKate wrote:
Samfan wrote:

Samfan

I noticed this on the IMDb page from when they first announced cast lists for the new series (it's on the board somewhere...). HW is listed as "Sam Stewart". While I know AH has his moments of inconsistency, I feel doubtful that he's written Adam out (unfortunately) and think you are probably right it has to do with undercover work. Mind you, from the trailer it looks like she's getting herself into all sorts of trouble again, so perhaps Adam's said, "Look, love, I've got a career to think about - get in to trouble under your own name." :noidea:

Actually it wasn't uncommon for married women of that era to work under their maiden name. My mother did.
Do I need to remind you...how much you can trust me?
starlight

Postby mohairMK » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:13 am

BookwormKate wrote: ...I only hope he and Hilda get on a bit more.

I thought I read some where on QE that someone thought the "shock" we could be seeing was finding out that Hilda wasn't what she seemed to be.

Considering that for a bit...from the moment she appeared on FW, she has been nothing but trouble for CF. Due to her, Foyle lost his chance to advance and do what he wanted for the war effort. In the last series, he was threatened, harassed, bullied and belittled by her and her cohorts...and then offered a job?! They didn't really want him then, so it's no surprise they don't want him now.

Foyle is a keen observer and reader of people, he never trusted Hilda, and his instincts are usually right. A shock to find out that Hilda has more dark secrets to hide? That wouldn't even be considered a surprise! The only shock I can see in regard to Hilda is why it took someone this long to shoot her. (Sorry, but if you hurt The Man, you're dirt in my book...).

About seeing Hilda with tears in her eyes in the trailer, perhaps getting shot was a wake-up call for her to get her act together and decide what her priorities should be. I, like so many others, hope that however this all comes to a close, that it is a happy note for all, and our favorite characters not only emerge in one piece, but with a hope for the future after all the darkness we have seen.
"Think? It's all I've ever done and it's got me absobloodylutely nowhere"
mohairMK

Postby Anglophile » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:01 am

Yay, a trailer at last!!! Yikes, it does look dark. But as Starlight put it:

starlight wrote:
Actually, this looks rather exciting. :bouncy:

I don't mind a bit of dark and nasty, provided Sam emerges in one piece. :biggrin:

Ditto.

I just hope AH realizes (or rather, realized when he wrote the thing over a year ago) that, exciting as the mysteries are and fascinating as the history is, most of us are really in this for Foyle.
However great the story, it won't make up for a lack of character development/personal storyline with CF. At least, I thought that's why Sunflower fell a bit flat for me. Chilling story, but not enough about Foyle for the last episode. (Especially after the previous season's finale, The Hide.) And of course Foyle smiles are always greatly appreciated! :D

That last sentence was beautifully put, mohairMK; I second.

I feel your pain, Lynnedean - I was feeling so patient till I saw this! Ah well; 6 weeks more (8 or 9 for Acorn) and we'll know all....
"Why have you brought us to shelter in the fuel dump, Andrew?"
Anglophile

Postby Lynnedean » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:48 am

Anglophile wrote:I just hope AH realizes (or rather, realized when he wrote the thing over a year ago) that, exciting as the mysteries are and fascinating as the history is, most of us are really in this for Foyle.

Anthony Horowitz is always all about plot, Anglophile; he tends to develop characterisation only as it feeds the storyline. With the move into the world of MI5, he seems to have been more interested in telling otherwise untold tales about dastardly post-war goings on behind the public scenes than exploring what happened in the private lives of Foyle and Co. Ninety minutes isn't long to tell each story, so I guess that's understandable. There's also the fact that the new stories are somewhat darker than those in the early series, so perhaps Mr Hwz thinks that the mood would not be helped by the inclusion of the warmer side of Foyle that folk who watch for the character more than the plots now all miss.
Lynnedean

Postby Anglophile » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:30 pm

Lynnedean wrote:Anthony Horowitz is always all about plot, Anglophile; he tends to develop characterisation only as it feeds the storyline. With the move into the world of MI5, he seems to have been more interested in telling otherwise untold tales about dastardly post-war goings on behind the public scenes than exploring what happened in the private lives of Foyle and Co. Ninety minutes isn't long to tell each story, so I guess that's understandable. There's also the fact that the new stories are somewhat darker than those in the early series, so perhaps Mr Hwz thinks that the mood would not be helped by the inclusion of the warmer side of Foyle that folk who watch for the character more than the plots now all miss.

Alas, sad but true... It IS hard to picture how exactly he could soften Foyle in the middle of these darker stories; I suppose at the end of the day I really want NOT dark stories and NOT grim Foyle (ie, more WWII Hastings series)! But that's okay; once I've resigned myself to the new tone of the series and have lowered my expectations to not expect too much Foyle, I'll enjoy the new episodes vey much. :D I might have to rewatch the last series to prepare myself (oh, darn)... :-P

Was anyone else slightly bothered, btw, by the fact that in the trailer Foyle and Sam were not in one clip together? Instead Foyle seemed to be doing a lot of investigating with/about that Other Woman...AH's "lady for Foyle"?
(I'm not a Foyle/Sam shipper but I love their relationship in the show, which has also been put to the side in these newer series.)
Anglophile

Postby HarrietVane » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:46 pm

Anglophile wrote:
Lynnedean wrote:Anthony Horowitz is always all about plot, Anglophile; he tends to develop characterisation only as it feeds the storyline. With the move into the world of MI5, he seems to have been more interested in telling otherwise untold tales about dastardly post-war goings on behind the public scenes than exploring what happened in the private lives of Foyle and Co. Ninety minutes isn't long to tell each story, so I guess that's understandable. There's also the fact that the new stories are somewhat darker than those in the early series, so perhaps Mr Hwz thinks that the mood would not be helped by the inclusion of the warmer side of Foyle that folk who watch for the character more than the plots now all miss.

Alas, sad but true... It IS hard to picture how exactly he could soften Foyle in the middle of these darker stories; I suppose at the end of the day I really want NOT dark stories and NOT grim Foyle (ie, more WWII Hastings series)! But that's okay; once I've resigned myself to the new tone of the series and have lowered my expectations to not expect too much Foyle, I'll enjoy the new episodes vey much. :D I might have to rewatch the last series to prepare myself (oh, darn)... :-P

Was anyone else slightly bothered, btw, by the fact that in the trailer Foyle and Sam were not in one clip together? Instead Foyle seemed to be doing a lot of investigating with/about that Other Woman...AH's "lady for Foyle"?
(I'm not a Foyle/Sam shipper but I love their relationship in the show, which has also been put to the side in these newer series.)

:wavehello: I was definitely disappointed about the lack of Foyle-and-Sam scenes; I think she's talking to him when she says "I know it was dangerous... and stupid..." but no proper shots of the two of them.

I'm also with you on liking Hastings stories best (even though some of those were plenty grim - Broken Souls? the horrible British Fascists in The White Feather?). Lynnedean is probably right about AH's thinking on softer scenes, but I feel like it would work well to have even just a hint of what Foyle's doing to deal personally with the strain of the grim post-war world, particularly as he can hardly go fishing in London. I'd like to see him coming back to his lodgings, loosening his tie, and sitting down with a book and a drink. Or walking laps in a park, or talking about going to a concert, or SOMETHING to suggest he doesn't spend nights on standby mode in a closet like Seven of Nine on Star Trek: Voyager.
HarrietVane

Postby Samfan » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:52 pm

Trailers can be deceiving (all that editing). Foyle and Sam may have more scenes together than we think :smile:

Samfan
Last edited by Samfan on Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Samfan

Postby Englishfan » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:55 pm

Mr. Horowitz could have saved himself time by reading our posts before writing and then he'd go right to the softer-side plots and not have to do so much historical background work. :obsessed:

Wait......those are called soap operas. :noidea:

While I am at the head of the line, hoping that CF has a friend, female interest, dates, someone with whom he has tea, maybe AH knows what he's doing. And, besides great historical plots, he's saved plenty for this site's fan fiction! :thumbsup:

He's done it all! And let's hope that he surprises us with that lady friend. :eek:

Englishfan
Englishfan

Postby Jillybean » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:01 am

Wolesley wrote:Lesley (anxiously hoping there is something uplifting in the new eps) :foyle3:

Trailers are meant to show the show's main purpose and the happier, fleeting moments are rarely seen. And although the last three episodes were darker than those that preceded them, I would imagine AH has written in some delights in these new episodes :wink:
There's something about you fascinates me...
Jillybean

Postby kitchentease » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:33 am

I would imagine AH has written in some delights in these new episodes

G*D, I HOPE SO!
But, what does the brain matter....compared to the heart?
kitchentease

Postby fe » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:37 pm

I don't mind a bit of dark, but agree with those who say we need a bit more Foyle characterization - I'm hoping the allegedly' gentle' Foyle romance will give us that :hug:
fe

Postby Anglophile » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:47 am

HarrietVane wrote: ...I feel like it would work well to have even just a hint of what Foyle's doing to deal personally with the strain of the grim post-war world, particularly as he can hardly go fishing in London. I'd like to see him coming back to his lodgings, loosening his tie, and sitting down with a book and a drink. Or walking laps in a park, or talking about going to a concert, or SOMETHING to suggest he doesn't spend nights on standby mode in a closet like Seven of Nine on Star Trek: Voyager.

My thoughts exactly, HarrietVane! It doesn't have to be much, just enough to remind us that he is HUMAN! (Loving "Have His Carcase," btw :D )

I definitely don't want it turning into a soap opera, Englishfan :-P and after all it would be worth watching just for the history/mystery. But I definitely don't think the show would have such devoted fans if the whole series was in the darker, less character-centered tone of the latest series. And really, we've been through a War with this guy - I don't think it's unreasonable for us to care about the character and want him to have more to do with the story than just unravel the mystery. :smile:
Anyway, thanks to you all, there is always fanfiction to fill in the gaps! :hug:

(Speaking of which, Wolesley, I couldn't believe it when I saw those pics of Adam and Some Other Woman. My first thought was that someone had been playing around on photoshop, making pictures to accompany "UXB"! And here we were, thinking Horowitz never read fanfiction...)
Anglophile

Next

Return to News of More Foyle