Problems logging in :o

For problematic devices, dvds, players, computers (...or Forums).

Problems logging in :o

Postby Sunshine » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:45 pm

Has anyone else been getting a notice that this message board is "Not secure"? It's been happening for me on Firefox and Google Chrome. :puzzled:
Just looked over the chapter on "Horse Racing and Illegal Rambling."

I haven't got the requisite capacity for deceit.
Sunshine

Re: Problems logging in :o

Postby Wolesley » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:58 am

Not so far, but I’m not surprised- I haven’t updated to the latest version of this site for about....oh a decade. My son has resigned from being my tech advisor on this, and I just don’t want to mess everything up or lose content if I try to update it myself.
APPARENTLY he’s too busy being married and working full time and living his adult life. :wink: :rofl:

Lesley :biggrin:
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Postby amiga » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:02 pm

No problem here.

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Postby Lynnedean » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:47 am

Sunshine wrote:Has anyone else been getting a notice that this message board is "Not secure"? It's been happening for me on Firefox and Google Chrome. :puzzled:

May be a case of your anti-virus software throwing up a false positive, Sunshine. I suggest that, if it continues, you ask them to check.
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby Sunshine » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:06 pm

Thanks Lynne.

Sunshine

Postby Lynnedean » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:28 pm

Sunshine, I have to make a correction to my previous reply to your post.

When you said you were getting a notice saying that the message board was not secure, I assumed that you meant that Firefox threw up the warning immediately you opened the board, which is why I suggested that you ask your security software supplier about the possibility of it identifying a false positive. I've just realised that you must actually have been referring to what was happening when you clicked the log-in box to enter your password, in which case, yes, that's also been happening to me when using Firefox! I've just checked and found that it also happens on the Chrome and Opera browsers (which are both Google based). On trying to log in using the Internet Explorer browser, my additional security software Trusteer Rapport warns that any information entered "is to be sent over an unencrypted connection and could easily be read by a third party", which I'd have thought was standard for websites such as this, really, and it's probably - surely - what the other browsers' warnings are referring to. No warning of any kind appears if I use the Vivaldi browser.

I'm usually very security conscious, but in this case, I'll be ignoring the notice for several reasons. The username and password I use for QEN are unique - I don't use them for any other website - and I can't see that they would be of any real benefit to anyone else who obtained them. I've also read comments on support forums about such warning messages as being rather odd - on one forum I looked at there were comments about Firefox warning that google.com was insecure! The warning appears to refer to an unencrypted connection that I would have assumed to be, and has always been, the case, anyway. There's also the fact that the two other members who have posted in this thread aren't getting the warning, and one of 'em is the board Admin!

Firefox support does give an explanation of the warning, which appears to refer to the lack of encryption ...
Mozilla Support: insecure password warning
Lesley - note what it says about the website Admin! :D

I hope I've helped a bit, Sunshine, and not just confused you further! :-?
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby Wolesley » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:00 pm

Lynnedean wrote:Lesley - note what it says about the website Admin! :D

"Secure the connection”? I wouldn’t have a clue. :whistling: :noidea:
But isn’t that up to the phpBB Group admins?

Thanks for answering this question with far more diligence and know-how than I possibly could, Lynne! :hug: And Happy New Year! :foyle1:

Lesley
Wolesley

Postby Lynnedean » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:12 am

Wolesley wrote:"Secure the connection”? I wouldn’t have a clue.
But isn’t that up to the phpBB Group admins?

You're probably right, Lesley. I assume that you have to log in the way the members do, so I'm curious as to why you aren't getting the warning. Which browser do you use?

Note: I say again that my "know-how" is very limited. All I know is what I pick up from tech sites on the internet or from folk who are better informed than I. Anything I say should be fact-checked! :-?

Websites on which private information such as credit card details are to be entered, e.g. e-commerce and banking sites, should have https and a little padlock icon in front of the URL to show that the site is secure. (This is why I don't expect to see it on message boards.) Those websites have an SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) certificate installed that enables HTTPS (Hyper Text Transfer Protocol Secure). Apparently, in time, the warning will be appearing when visiting any website that does not have an SSL certificate; this is so with Chrome, but should apply to all browsers. Info is from: R&R Web Design: Chrome's (and Firefox's) Non HTTPS Not Secure Warning

What internet security means in this day and age, I really don't know. A cop once told me that it doesn't really matter what steps you take to prevent a house burglary: if the blighters want in, they'll get in! I reckon that applies to the internet, too.

PS: On another subject ... Anyone whose OS is Windows 7 should be very wary of accepting the January Monthly Rollup KB 4056894 update. Please don't ask me to explain, because the problem is so complicated that it's got my head spinning - employ your search engine to check it out!
Lynnedean

Postby Sunshine » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:48 am

Thanks Lynne. I'm in for now, so there I'll stay, I hope. :foyle1:

Sunshine

Postby Wolesley » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:29 am

Lynnedean wrote: I assume that you have to log in the way the members do, so I'm curious as to why you aren't getting the warning. Which browser do you use?

Well, now that my PC and computer desk are relegated to the unheated spare bedroom :rofl: I access the QE strictly from my iPad, using Safari, and my pw is saved so I don’t often have to login. I suppose I could log out and see what happens. :shock:

Lesley

I logged out and logged back in, and didn’t get any security warning.
Wolesley

Postby Lynnedean » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:32 pm

Wolesley wrote:... I access the QE strictly from my iPad, using Safari, and my pw is saved so I don’t often have to login. [...] I logged out and logged back in, and didn’t get any security warning.

My password is saved on my browser, but I have to call it up when I want to log into the board, because I don't have automatic log-in turned on. (I log in only when I want to post or to use the "view new posts" link to ensure that I haven't missed something.)

Safari will probably catch up with the other browsers at some point, and will start to show the warning.
Lynnedean

Postby amiga » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:10 pm

I was recently forced into switching to Windows 10 and had no problem logging in the first time. I keep "automatic log in" turned on.

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Return to Tech Talk