Photobucket has pulled the plug!

For problematic devices, dvds, players, computers (...or Forums).

Photobucket has pulled the plug!

Postby Lynnedean » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:12 pm

If, like me, you've been using the image hosting website Photobucket to post images on this forum, you'll have been shocked by the recent announcement that PB is now to charge an annual subscription - a ridiculous amount of around $400 - for the 3rd party hosting facility that was previously available with the basic free account. PB will block the images until the customer coughs up the subscription. When I first heard about this, I didn't believe it was true, because it was so outrageous, but it seems that it is indeed a real change to PB's terms of service.

Personally, I have no intention of submitting to what I see as blackmail, and I do not have the time, or at present the energy, to transfer everything I have on PB to Imgur, so all the images I have posted on the board over the years will soon disappear, including my avatar!
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Re: Photobucket has pulled the plug!

Postby kitchentease » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:17 pm

Legal ransomware? Agree entirely with your signature, Lynne.
But, what does the brain matter....compared to the heart?
kitchentease

Postby hazeleyes57 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:36 pm

Sorry to lose the pictures, but I agree, the cost is ridiculous. I would not pay it either.

I wonder if it is a deliberate tactic to 'dismantle' photobucket in order to restart as another company. Deliberately run it into the ground?
hazeleyes57

Location: Colchester, England, home of the Iceni, Boudicca and jolly nice cake shops

Postby Lynnedean » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:13 am

Well, all my posted images have now been blocked. My avatar disappeared, too, but I've replaced it with the one in Lesley's gallery. Can't do without my beloved Alibi avatar, which is the one I've used from the earliest days of Fiona's first message board.

I'm now going to edit all my posts that contain images, and remove the image refs, as the ugly PB blocking notices are extremely annoying to see.
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby starlight » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:15 am

hazeleyes57 wrote:Sorry to lose the pictures, but I agree, the cost is ridiculous. I would not pay it either.

I wonder if it is a deliberate tactic to 'dismantle' photobucket in order to restart as another company. Deliberately run it into the ground?

You mean repeal without replacement? Sad :thud:
Do I need to remind you...how much you can trust me?
starlight

Postby Lynnedean » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:37 pm

As I've been editing my posts to remove the image links, I've noticed that Jewell and Chris have been hit by it, too!

I'm furious with Photobucket! I've now deleted all my images from the website, and closed the account. When closing the account, I was asked to give a reason - and I jolly well did! :-x
Lynnedean

Postby Sunshine » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:55 pm

You tell 'em, Lynne! :foyle1:
Just looked over the chapter on "Horse Racing and Illegal Rambling."

I haven't got the requisite capacity for deceit.
Sunshine

Return to Tech Talk