Losing pets sucks...

Hey there neighbour, what's new?

Losing pets sucks...

Postby TartanLioness » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:35 pm

Well, it's all quite silly really, but my old doggie Oliver had to be put down yesterday and I'm so sad about it. He was nearly twelve and we'd had him for ten years, but I still think it was too soon.

People generally say that for large-ish dogs, especially working dogs as Oliver was (search and rescue dog), every day after nine years is a gift. And since he had back problems and was in great pain it was definitely for the best. It's just so strange that he isn't there anymore. I went home yesterday to be with my mum (she had to take him to the vet alone :( ) and it felt so odd to only feed one dog at dinner and to not have this greying old labrador following me around all the time.
His "little bother", Chivas, is so confused... he just wanders around looking for his big brother.

Boo. Losing pets sucks. Even if they are "just" pets. :sad:
TartanLioness

Re: Losing pets sucks...

Postby tucsongal » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:50 pm

I am so terribly sorry! You must have been very proud of the work that Oliver did for search and rescue. My black lab, "George" is not so talented, but he makes us smile each and everyday. He loves us unconditionally. I refuse to believe that they are "just" pets. They are my extended family. My heart goes out to you!
tucsongal

Postby Wolesley » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:42 pm

So sorry to hear of your loss; he must have been an extraordinary dog!
According to Cesar Milan, "The Dog Whisperer," the thing to do for Chivas is to show him you (or your Mom) are still the pack leader. Dogs like to know who is the boss so they understand what their own role is in the pack - leader or follower. No doubt Oliver was a strong, confident pack member!

Lesley
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Postby TartanLioness » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:26 pm

Thank you both!

Lesley; we've been trying to keep the routines going as much as possible so we don't confuse him more than we have to. Obviously he senses our sadness but he does seem to be calming down a little.
Mum and I went to the beach with him yesterday afternoon when I came home. That cheered us all up, I think. So glad we still have Chivas, though. My childhood home would be so empty without him!
TartanLioness

Postby dogstar » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:41 pm

My sympathies to you and your mother. The terrible thing about dogs is they live for far too short a time. Be aware, however, that a dog you loved and who has loved you is always with you.

As a demonstration of that continuity, I'd like to share with you this "Story of a Dog" by the American naturalist John Muir. It is my all time favorite observation of a dog, but it also shows how the companionship of a good dog remains with you forever. Like Stickeen, they are immortal.

http://tinyurl.com/72xjepr
Dogstar

"However, I'm richer and you're happier, and I think I know what's best."
dogstar

Postby hazeleyes57 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:05 pm

So sorry to hear about the loss of Oliver, our heartfelt sympathy to you, your mum and Chivas.

My husband has had and lost several dogs over the years, before I met him, but his Zak (a mini schnauzer) was my first 'final visit to the vet' loss and I felt we'd lost a family member. My daughter and I cried all the way home (an hour, as my husband wouldn't change vets when he moved) and it didn't matter that Zak was thirteen, he was still our baby.

You did the right thing for Oliver, and I hope that soon you'll just remember the good times you had with him. :hug:
hazeleyes57

Location: Colchester, England, home of the Iceni, Boudicca and jolly nice cake shops

Postby Lynnedean » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:33 pm

Oliver obviously had a claim on a large chunk of your heart, Cammie; your grief will run deep. I feel for you, because I've also known such loss (two dogs and two cats over the years). Roy Hattersley, long-standing British Labour MP now retired, was so overcome by the death of his beloved dog that he wrote a book about him, and also this article for the Daily Mail ... Roy Hattersley: How I miss my beloved dog Buster.

~ Lynne
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby TartanLioness » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:43 pm

Thank you all! I've relayed all your kind words to my parents and they were happy to hear them.

Lynne; Mr Hattersley mentions missing the little things: the tinkle of the name tag for instance. And the annoying things. While I can't imagine I'll ever miss stepping in one of Oliver's huge puddles of drool with my bare feet or nearly falling on my butt due to the same, this is true too.
Still, he went with my dad to Search & Rescue training on Sunday along with Chivas and he always loved that (he was retired, Chivas had taken over). So y'know, at least he ended his life happily!
TartanLioness

Postby Sunshine » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:54 pm

There is nothing silly about it at all, Cammie. Sympathies to you and your family on the loss of Oliver. Glad you have such wonderful memories of him, and hope his "little brother" will be OK.
Just looked over the chapter on "Horse Racing and Illegal Rambling."

I haven't got the requisite capacity for deceit.
Sunshine

Postby TartanLioness » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:36 am

Thank you, sunshine :)
TartanLioness

Postby foylefan » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:06 am

Let me add my sympathies to you and your family. I was fortunate enough to grow up with pets and have always had them as an adult as well, so, unfortunately, I can understand your sense of loss.

Let me add my sympathies to you and your family. Getting a pet put to sleep when they are in chronic pain is truly the best gift we can give them after they have given us so much. We will be thinking of you all.
foylefan

Postby foylefan » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:08 am

Oops...sorry about the mixed up previous post. Oddly enough, my cat jumped on my lap as I started to type and landed on the laptop. I thought the message had been lost and so started over....hmmmm.....pets....
foylefan

Postby Sunshine » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:27 am

I can't help wondering whether the cat wanted to send a message........Animals often communicate in ways we're just beginning to understand. :noidea:
Just looked over the chapter on "Horse Racing and Illegal Rambling."

I haven't got the requisite capacity for deceit.
Sunshine

Postby foylefan » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:00 am

Who knows? Our cat and dog are best buddies, and often sleep curled up together, so he is quite "dog friendly".
foylefan

Postby TartanLioness » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:45 am

Hahaha oh how sweet!! Well, I shall take your and your cat's messages to heart :) Thank you.
TartanLioness

Postby TartanLioness » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:20 pm

Thank you again for all your kind words. I just wanted to share this:

http://tartanlioness.tumblr.com/post/25 ... a-few-days

I'm feeling better already but my mum is still quite upset. My dad, I think, is upset too, but he is rather pragmatic about it all. Oh well.

Thank you :hug:
TartanLioness

Postby bee » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:21 pm

What a beautiful, intelligent and "kind" looking dog! So sorry for your loss!

I miss having a dog and still think quite often of the wonderful Irish Setter we had long ago when I was still living at home...
There is no one else...
bee

Postby TartanLioness » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:31 pm

He was probably the kindest dog I've ever known. Also a bit of a wuss, but that's okay. And clearly quite patient (I'm always surprised that he allowed Chivas to lie on him like that. They did it all the time when Chivas was little!)
TartanLioness

Postby foylefan » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:24 pm

He looked like a great dog--great expression on his face. Thanks for letting us see a photo.
foylefan

Postby historianheidi » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:03 pm

Apologies for coming to this so late, but just wanted to say how sorry I am for your loss. He looks like a wonderful dog. :hug:

I grew up with a labrador who was born in the same year as me. She had to be put to sleep when we were both 14. She was a rescue dog we'd had for 11 years and it was a terrible wrench when she died. Dogs-and indeed any other pet-are family members too.
historianheidi

Return to Over the Back Fence