Most overused phrase in the English language?

Hey there neighbour, what's new?

Most overused phrase in the English language?

Postby Lynnedean » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:11 pm

This has obviously been going on for a very long time without my having picked up on it before. I've only just begun to notice it, and I'm very sorry I have, because I'm never going to be able to ignore it now and it's driving me nuts. The phrase is "Tell you what ..." or "You know what? ..." or "You know something? ..." I hear it on TV or radio a dozen times a day, used by everybody from interviewed politicians to actors in comedy shows and dramas. The useage is not a new thing and it's not confined to the UK - it's cropped up in many episodes of old 1960s' British TV shows and even in a couple of old American 1950s' films that I've been watching lately (thanks to having no energy to do anything else due to having both a strained shoulder muscle and a lousy cold!).

Has anyone else noticed it? Please accept my apologies if you hadn't but, because I've mentioned it, you now begin to do so and can't get it out of your head! :-?
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Re: Most overused phrase in the English language?

Postby jewell » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:42 pm

And "Ya know" is just a shortened version!

A pet peeve of mine.

J
"When they ask why, I'll go: well, it's the least, no, honestly, it's the very bloody least I could do!

"And not just decked him. No! Fried the devious, dirty bastard to a crisp in the luxury of his over-waxed car!"
jewell

Postby Sunshine » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:43 pm

In the U.S., it's been condensed to my new pet peeve: Starting a sentence with "So."

As in: "So, I was telling my friend today...."
:puzzled:
Just looked over the chapter on "Horse Racing and Illegal Rambling."

I haven't got the requisite capacity for deceit.
Sunshine

Postby kitchenwonder » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:55 am

Sunshine wrote:In the U.S., it's been condensed to my new pet peeve: Starting a sentence with "So."

As in: "So, I was telling my friend today...."
:puzzled:

I confess. I am guilty. :shock:
"Well...The Foyles, you know, always have been hard to resist." (Enemy Fire S3E2)
"If Michael Kitchen played a corpse, you would still watch him more than anyone else." (Jaci Stephen, The Mail, November 3, 2002)
kitchenwonder

Return to Over the Back Fence