Banished Word List 2017

Hey there neighbour, what's new?

Banished Word List 2017

Postby Samfan » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:59 am

Lake Superior State University in Michigan has released their Banished Word list for 2017, which lists words that were overused or misused (or both) in 2016, as submitted by the public. This year, You, Sir; historic; focus; and manicured made the list. What would you add?

http://www.lssu.edu/banished

I was disappointed not to see comments by submitters on the list page, but there is a link to the Facebook page, which includes comments.

Samfan
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Re: Banished Word List 2017

Postby marigold » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:59 pm

Samfan, you have brightened my day. Always love this list which I'd forgotten gets issued New Year's Day. Also love the comments. Thanks muchly (tongue in cheek) for posting this. :wavehello:
marigold

Postby Sunshine » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:07 pm

Thanks Samfan! :thumbsup:

Looking at the master list, I figure there are a few words or phrases that can be un-banned (the Howard Cosell one, for instance). I wouldn't mind adding some more people to the list, though! :waiting:
Just looked over the chapter on "Horse Racing and Illegal Rambling."

I haven't got the requisite capacity for deceit.
Sunshine

Postby kitchentease » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:14 am

This list fascinates me every year. I find myself relegated to the dinosaur category this year as there were some, used in the context of social media, I had not heard of. 831? The list maker's comment was spot on!
But, what does the brain matter....compared to the heart?
kitchentease

Postby Samfan » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:24 pm

Sunshine wrote:Thanks Samfan! :thumbsup:

Looking at the master list, I figure there are a few words or phrases that can be un-banned (the Howard Cosell one, for instance). I wouldn't mind adding some more people to the list, though! :waiting:

Sorry, but which one is the Howard Cosell one? All I remember from seeing Howard Cosell is him saying, "this is Howard Cosell..."

I didn't really recognize almost all of these words/phrases as overused or misused, except for maybe You, Sir and historic. Guess I wasn't paying enough attention this past year.

Samfan
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Postby Sunshine » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:35 pm

Samfan wrote:
Sunshine wrote:Thanks Samfan! :thumbsup:

Sorry, but which one is the Howard Cosell one? All I remember from seeing Howard Cosell is him saying, "this is Howard Cosell..."

I didn't really recognize almost all of these words/phrases as overused or misused, except for maybe You, Sir and historic. Guess I wasn't paying enough attention this past year.

Samfan

That's from the 1980 list: Howard Cosell, En Masse. Not sure if they were banning everything Cosell was saying; there was a time one couldn't escape him on television. I liked him, though.
Just looked over the chapter on "Horse Racing and Illegal Rambling."

I haven't got the requisite capacity for deceit.
Sunshine

Return to Over the Back Fence