2016 Banished Words List

Hey there neighbour, what's new?

Re: 2016 Banished Words List

Postby Lynette » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:25 pm

Husband brought home a new candidate for the banished word list: "thought leader". As in, "be a thought leader in your company or organization!"
Lynette

Postby Lynnedean » Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:09 pm

Lynette wrote:Husband brought home a new candidate for the banished word list: "thought leader". As in, "be a thought leader in your company or organization!"

Well, I don't like the term, but I have to say that we could do with a few thought leaders in our major political parties over here right now! Of course they'd also have to be sensible, level-headed and non-self-seeking, so I guess we're on a hiding to nothing. :-?

(Worry not, Lesley, I'm not going to make any further comment re politics - apart from it not being allowed on a board such as this, there wouldn't be enough space!)
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby Wolesley » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:48 am

Quite all right, Lynne, I've seen the steam coming out of sensible British ears all the way over here. And if you're one of the many Brits now googling 'moving to Canada,' (along with the many worried Americans), I'm considering installing bunk beds in my spare room to accommodate all my international friends. :whistling:
'Thought leaders' are in scarce supply.

Lesley
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Postby Samfan » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:45 am

I went to a workshop on special education law a few weeks ago. Three days of one of the presenters overusing 'takeaway.' "I guess the takeaway from this is..."; "...and the takeaway here is..."

Agh! :eyeroll:
Last edited by Samfan on Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Postby Wolesley » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:42 am

Oh god, I know. Education is the worst field for trendy terms. Now that we're out for summer, I can 'take away' all the 'piece' work I've done and shove it in the recycling bin. :eyeroll: :biggrin:

At university I had an instructor that overused 'raison d'être' so much that I made him a little raisin box with witty slogans on it about essential reasons for eating dried grapes. Never did find out if he got the joke.

Lesley
Wolesley

Postby hazeleyes57 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:29 am

'Brexit'

Banned, banned, f*****g banned - sick to death of it :-x Grrrr!

I don't usually 'do' politics, but...nuff said. I promise.
hazeleyes57

Location: Colchester, England, home of the Iceni, Boudicca and jolly nice cake shops

Postby Sunshine » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:46 pm

hazeleyes57 wrote:'Brexit'

Banned, banned, f*****g banned - sick to death of it :-x Grrrr!

I don't usually 'do' politics, but...nuff said. I promise.

I don't blame you! :eek:
Just looked over the chapter on "Horse Racing and Illegal Rambling."

I haven't got the requisite capacity for deceit.
Sunshine

Postby marigold » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:25 pm

My most recent hates: "stressing" or "stressed" as a substitute for almost any other word indicating discomfort (X annoyed/ distressed/upset/angered ...me)

Sipping on (fill in beverage of your choice.) It's sipping. Or possibly drinking. Where did the "on" come from?

Am also working up quite a head of steam for "bonding." Used to be that you formed a friendship or perhaps a relationship or even found "common ground"--admittedly a cliche but better than bonding, at least to these (getting cranky) ears. Perhaps I need an anti-grouch pill. :toetap:
marigold

Postby Sunshine » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:56 pm

Lots of items from TV weathercasts, including "cold front" for any system coming through my region between April and November; "Showers on the breeze" (just what does that mean, anyway?) And especially female weathercasters dressed more appropriately for a Milan runway than a Miami hurricane. :-x
Just looked over the chapter on "Horse Racing and Illegal Rambling."

I haven't got the requisite capacity for deceit.
Sunshine

Postby marigold » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:23 am

Sunshine wrote:Lots of items from TV weathercasts, including "cold front" for any system coming through my region between April and November; "Showers on the breeze" (just what does that mean, anyway?) And especially female weathercasters dressed more appropriately for a Milan runway than a Miami hurricane. :-x

I've missed showers on the breeze ,(nor have I a clue what it even thinks it means), but find weather-casters (dear God, is that really an occupation? Sadly, I think so) are so built around hype, whatever they have to "report" needs to be taken with a great deal of mistrust let alone salt. Yours in grouch.
marigold

Postby marigold » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:37 pm

This recently appeared in the New York Times, making me laugh out loud so often the people I was visiting thought I was going mad. See what you think:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/29/opini ... rself.html

and thanks to Amiga for helping me get hold of the right tag. :rose:
marigold

Postby Wolesley » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:03 am

That's an incomplete link, marigold. Can you try posting it again?

Lesley
Wolesley

Postby amiga » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:09 am

marigold wrote:This recently appeared in the New York Times, making me laugh out loud so often the people I was visiting thought I was going mad. See what you think:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/29/opini ... rself.html

and thanks to Amiga for helping me get hold of the right tag. :rose:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/29/opinion/english-for-yourself.html

See if this works http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/29/opini ... rself.html

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Postby marigold » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:28 pm

marigold

Postby Wolesley » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:35 pm

Very good. :rofl:
Sounds like something Rowena might write about in her By the Dart column, when she's exasperated with humankind.

Lesley
Wolesley

Previous

Return to Over the Back Fence