2016 Banished Words List

Hey there neighbour, what's new?

2016 Banished Words List

Postby Samfan » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:15 pm

Lake Superior State University (Michigan, USA) has put out its annual Banished Words List. This year, So, Conversation, and Physicality made the list.

I could add "reach out" to the list. Instead of 'contacting' someone for information or to talk with them about an issue, we have to "reach out" to them. I hear this mostly with principals and teachers who need to contact parents to discuss their children.

http://www.lssu.edu/banished/

Samfan

(I know that there are other banned/banished word lists out there, but I discovered this one years ago in my my local paper--in a Southwest Michigan town. It's the one I always look for every New Year's Eve).
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Re: 2016 Banished Words List

Postby jewell » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:26 pm

So, thank goodness, they weren't banning "SO"!

I find SO, significant other, a handy phrase to describe the man I live with without benefit of marriage. He's much too old to be a "boy" friend - as I am too old to be a "girl" friend.

So I'm glad they weren't banning this handy acronym.

So, I guess that's all I have.

Happy New Year!! So long.

J

Thanks for the link, SF.
"When they ask why, I'll go: well, it's the least, no, honestly, it's the very bloody least I could do!

"And not just decked him. No! Fried the devious, dirty bastard to a crisp in the luxury of his over-waxed car!"
jewell

Postby Sunshine » Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:24 pm

Thanks Samfan! :thumbsup:

I had no idea that "secret sauce" was so overused. As long as banishing "walk it back" doesn't mean banishing George Gershwin's wonderful "Walking the Dog" music written for Fred Astaire, I'm all for it. :lol:

By the way, I've submitted a candidate for future consideration: "Showrunner," used as a substitute for television producer in the United States. That word is like nails on a chalkboard for me. :puzzled:
Just looked over the chapter on "Horse Racing and Illegal Rambling."

I haven't got the requisite capacity for deceit.
Sunshine

Postby Wolesley » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:37 pm

I'd agree with most of those, although I think sometimes starting a sentence with 'so' adds a bit of exasperated or ironic or puzzled or amazed commentary, as in the Internet-speak phrase, "So this happened:" accompanied by a photo of said event or phenomenon. It can be amusing.

As an educator, the current word that makes my skin crawl is the admin-speak term 'piece.' It is replacing or being pointlessly added to hundreds of more precise terms for what teachers are engaged in doing - research piece, evaluation piece, evidence piece, reporting piece, strategy piece, behaviour management piece. They may as well say 'thing,' for pete's sake! If all the work that a teacher or committee does can be labelled a 'piece' does that mean we're all doing piecework?! Aargh! :wink:

Lesley
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Postby Lynette » Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:21 am

Lesley, the edjumacation-speak that currently drives me crazy is "performance task". Do you get that one?
Lynette

Postby hazeleyes57 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:32 pm

Solutions is beginning to annoy me. It's on trade vehicles, 'serious' articles and in places that should know better. Creative solutions, plumbing solutions, building solutions, child-orientated solutions (by them or for them???), hoarding solutions, etc.

As I've always said: If you're not part of the solution, you must be the precipitate :rofl:
hazeleyes57

Location: Colchester, England, home of the Iceni, Boudicca and jolly nice cake shops

Postby Samfan » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:13 pm

I think that along with beginning a sentence with 'so,' beginning a sentence with 'well' is similar ("Well, I...[did such and such]..."). Actually, I use 'well' a lot at the beginning of sentences, particularly here on QE ("Well, I went to my parents' house....). :oops:

Samfan
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Postby Sunshine » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:39 am

One of my pet peeves involves singers who begin the first line of a song with "Well" or "and." :eyeroll:

Sunshine

Postby marigold » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:36 pm

The phrase "boots on the ground" is beginning to drive me wild. Read a comment from a woman who pointed out that her husband is in the military and he's not "boots," he's a person. Describing people in terms of boots seems demeaning...rant, rant. :-x
marigold

Postby kitchenwonder » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:42 am

I retired recently after over seven years at an Army training center. "Boots on the ground" is common parlance for those in the Army or Marines. Obviously it is not descriptive of those in the Navy or Air Force. Sounds like somebody (the wife) is a bit over-sensitive. :eyeroll:
"Well...The Foyles, you know, always have been hard to resist." (Enemy Fire S3E2)
"If Michael Kitchen played a corpse, you would still watch him more than anyone else." (Jaci Stephen, The Mail, November 3, 2002)
kitchenwonder

Postby Samfan » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:39 pm

I haven't heard this in years, but this week I came across it in writing: the word "flustrated." You're either 'frustrated' or 'flustered;' you cannot be "flustrated."

Samfan
Samfan

Postby jewell » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:28 pm

Oh, Oh, Oh!

I hate flustrated, too (unless it's said ironically which is almost never. Most people who use flustrated think it's a word).

Which reminds me of another word mismash I HATE: "happy medium".

The saying is "happy median", people!!!

Happy medium doesn't even make sense, whereas happy median does.

Rant complete.

J
"When they ask why, I'll go: well, it's the least, no, honestly, it's the very bloody least I could do!

"And not just decked him. No! Fried the devious, dirty bastard to a crisp in the luxury of his over-waxed car!"
jewell

Postby Samfan » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:28 pm

jewell wrote:...Which reminds me of another word mismash I HATE: "happy medium".

The saying is "happy median", people!!!

Happy medium doesn't even make sense, whereas happy median does.

Rant complete.

J

Oh dear. I think I'm one of the people who use "happy medium" (at least silently, I don't think I've ever used it out loud). Many times, to me, endings sound similar, particularly "n" and "m". Which makes me wonder exactly for how long my hearing has been bad--probably since my teens :-?

Unfortunately, I've also used "Un-purpose" instead of "on-purpose." I think its lazy pronunciation. :oops:

Samfan
Samfan

Postby jewell » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:52 pm

Yes, Samfan, I suppose you're right. *sigh*

I've also seen it in magazine and newspaper articles quoting a person - I always wonder, did they really say happy medium or is that just what the ignorant reporter heard?

Guess I should give it up...

Nah! :lol:

J

jewell

Postby Sunshine » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:06 am

Even though I work as an educator in a museum, I wince when I see or hear the phrase "teachable moment."

Heck, everything qualifies. :waiting:

Sunshine

Postby Samfan » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:27 pm

After hearing it countless times from a student today, I think the phrase "I'm not for sure" should be banned. I know that the person is trying to say, "I"m not sure." Then say that!

:-x Samfan
Samfan

Postby Lynette » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:46 pm

Had the following exchange with a high-school student in my library last week.

Me: "Excuse me ... we don't eat in the library."
Boy: "For real?" (editorial comment: we have several signs posted to this effect.)
Me: "Yes."
Boy: "For real for real?"
Lynette

Postby Samfan » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:03 pm

Lynette wrote:Had the following exchange with a high-school student in my library last week.

Me: "Excuse me ... we don't eat in the library."
Boy: "For real?" (editorial comment: we have several signs posted to this effect.)
Me: "Yes."
Boy: "For real for real?"

Like totally...

Samfan
Samfan

Postby Lynnedean » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:01 am

The habit of many young people today frequently to use the word "like" when it's totally unnecessary and makes absolutely no sense drives me crazy ... "When I told my friend that John had asked me out, she was, like, "really?", and I was, like, "yeah", and she was, like, "wow!".

I find it, like, very irritating!
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby Samfan » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:40 pm

A phrase that should not be used, but which I often hear: "I'm not for sure." What? Are you not sure that you are actually here? That you exist?

(oops--already talked about this one up above).
Last edited by Samfan on Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Samfan

Next

Return to Over the Back Fence