SNOW????

Hey there neighbour, what's new?

Re: SNOW????

Postby Samfan » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:02 pm

It snowed in my Northern Indiana town this morning--big flakes for awhile, and almost white-out conditions as I drove out of town to go to my parents in Southwest Michigan. Very cold and windy and sleet-showers.
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Postby Samfan » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:14 am

Snowing in earnest today. Ginger still likes the snow at almost 16 years old.

"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Postby Wolesley » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:14 am

Been snowing all day today! The forecast is for sunny skies tomorrow with below freezing temperatures. Of course, the forecast changes hourly so who knows. The kids at school sure were excited, and our Syrian refugee students were quite bemused. Many snow people were built around the playground. :snowman: :biggrin:

Lesley
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Postby Lynnedean » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:39 am

I'd love to take Ginger for a walk in the snow, Samfan! As usual, all we're getting in my neck of the UK woods is occasional overnight frost, and it doesn't last long.
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby Samfan » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:03 pm

The snow is off the roads and sidewalks, but is still on the grass. No new snow until maybe Thursday night and on the weekend--and then mixed with rain.
Samfan

Postby Florrie » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:55 pm

Still waiting on snow here. Don't know what the hold up is! :waiting:
Florrie

Postby Lynette » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:07 pm

And what's the temperature in Western Australia about now, Florrie? 110 degrees fahrenheit?
Lynette

Postby Florrie » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:30 am

I'd like to look over my balcony at that view, Lesley! - edited - did it not work? I followed the link to photobucket :)

32 degrees at 9.30 this morning, Lynnette! That's roughly 94F. Heading for 38 (about 106?) this afternoon. Tomorrow will be even more delightful. 40 and thunderstorms. Still hoping for snow, though. Ever optimistic. :rofl:
Last edited by Florrie on Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Florrie

Postby Wolesley » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:31 am

The view out my window today:
Wolesley

Postby starlight » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:31 am

:snowman: Don't stand still outside, Lesley :wink:
Do I need to remind you...how much you can trust me?
starlight

Postby Samfan » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:00 pm

Went to my parents' house in southwest Michigan this weekend. It snowed a lot during the night Saturday/Sunday.

A picture of my parents' backyard this morning:

I left right after I got home from church--even before lunch, because I was concerned about the roads down by me in Indiana. They were pretty good until I hit the Michigan/Indiana state line, and it was worse in Indiana. Glad I left when I did. I just drove slow--just about 40 mph all the way home (thinking how much longer it would take if I landed in a ditch). Snow wasn't so bad--un-plowed roads were the issue.

A picture of Ginger chewing on a chew stick once we got home:

Samfan

Postby Florrie » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:04 am

Love the pics of Ginger in the snow :foyle1:

We had a return to spring today! 40 degrees on Sunday, 20 degrees yesterday. And a white-out but it was torrential rain, no snow :foyle4: Lovely and mild today, only 22. Won't last long though!
Florrie

Postby Wolesley » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:46 am

It's been below freezing for more than a week, and the snow is still here! I took this photo at 8am on Thursday morning of the frost formations on the glass of the bus shelter. A rare sight in these parts.

And to go with that image, here's my very favourite rendition of Baby It's Cold Outside, by Charles Laughton and Elsa Lanchester:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CJ5UIuAa0eM
(Sorry about the ad. Is there a way to clip that off?)

Lesley :snowman:
Wolesley

Postby Samfan » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:17 pm

This was on my Facebook feed last night. Is this really how you Florida folks feel?

Samfan

Postby Samfan » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:32 pm

Lovely photo Lesley, and I enjoyed the rendition of "Baby, its cold outside."

Its been below freezing here this week, so the snow is still on the trees, and some side streets and parts of some parking lots have been sheets of ice here this week. A bit warmer today, in the 30'sF/-1C. Thursday, we had no school because of extremely cold temperatures due to windchill. Its supposed to be colder on Monday with wind chills in the -30'sF/-34C. There's already a plan in place for high school students who may miss a day of exams if school is closed (first day of Christmas vacation is Wednesday. Exams are this past Friday, and this Monday and Tuesday).
Last edited by Samfan on Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Samfan

Postby amiga » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:37 pm

Samfan wrote:This was on my Facebook feed last night. Is this really how you Florida folks feel?

Well, I do, as I am sitting on my patio taking in the sunshine. 75 and just lovely. I like to look at snow, but not a big fan of the cold that goes with it. So, all you snow bunnies, enjoy it! :smile:

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Postby Sunshine » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:06 pm

As a lifelong Florida gal - no way! (We do invite everyone to come on down, though. :D )

Actually, it's a little too warm for my taste. About 5 years ago, we had an extensive (for us) cold snap - 2 weeks of 40-degree temps is unusual for these parts. So I bought a pair of boots.

Since then, we've had maybe 3 really cold days. :noidea:
Just looked over the chapter on "Horse Racing and Illegal Rambling."

I haven't got the requisite capacity for deceit.
Sunshine

Postby Samfan » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:49 pm

Cross country skiing today at the county park near my parents' house. Groomed trails are great--its worth the fee. I have only a light dusting of snow in my town in Indiana. More snow in Michigan-lake effect snow.

Samfan

Postby Wolesley » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:37 pm

Looks beautiful, Samfan! Great exercise, too!

Lesley
Wolesley

Postby Samfan » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:01 pm

We've got sleetly snow showers in southwest Michigan! :snowman:
Samfan

PreviousNext

Return to Over the Back Fence