SNOW????

Hey there neighbour, what's new?

Re: SNOW????

Postby Lynnedean » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:06 am

Wolesley wrote:... I see snow is predicted for Lynne's area a week from Saturday!

Where are you getting that info, Lesley? I've not heard any mention of the possibility of snow, and the Met Office long range weather forecast is a bit vague about it. I'll keep my fingers crossed, but I don't think I'll risk holding my breath. :-?
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby Wolesley » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:54 am

Well, Lynne, it's just a Weather Network app on my iPhone, which admittedly changes its prediction as the hour passes and different weather arrives. :rofl:
A few days ago it showed snow for your area on Saturday, then revised that to Sunday, and now it's saying just rain and wind. Too bad.

Lesley
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Postby Lynnedean » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:46 am

Wolesley wrote:Well, Lynne, it's just a Weather Network app on my iPhone [...] A few days ago it showed snow for your area on Saturday, then revised that to Sunday, and now it's saying just rain and wind.

Well, I've got wind, but that's nothing to do with the weather (will really have to stop having baked beans for breakfast). :eyeroll:
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby Samfan » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:31 am

Blizzard warning here in my part of Indiana, starting at 8am. Winter Storm warning for tonight until tomorrow afternoon. :skiing: :snowman: :woohoo:

And yesterday morning my thoughts had turned to kayaking. Now they've turned to cross-country skiing.

Samfan
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Postby Lynnedean » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:21 am

Samfan wrote:... yesterday morning my thoughts had turned to kayaking. Now they've turned to cross-country skiing.

Why not put skis on the bottom of a kayak and try cross-country kayaking. You could start a whole new sport! :D
Lynnedean

Postby Samfan » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:41 am

Lynnedean wrote:
Samfan wrote:... yesterday morning my thoughts had turned to kayaking. Now they've turned to cross-country skiing.

Why not put skis on the bottom of a kayak and try cross-country kayaking. You could start a whole new sport! :D

Too bad I can't put a plow on my kayak. Very heavy, slushy snow. Too much for my tiny snow-blower. Heavy shoveling. No school tomorrow, either.

Samfan
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Postby Samfan » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:12 pm

A picture of my driveway while snow-blowing/shoveling yesterday morning:

The wind picked up last night, and there is now much more snow (icy, slushy, snow). A picture of the deck when I let Ginger out this morning:

No school today, a lot of government agencies and businesses shut down. Travel advisory (no one but emergency vehicles, road crew should be out).

Have to go out and shovel later :(

Samfan
Samfan

Postby Samfan » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:01 pm

Decided to try my hand at building a snowman this afternoon. Of course I had to give it various themes of some of my favorite things:

And since I'm a hockey fan:

Image | Image

Think I need a bit more practice. Lynnedean! You're going to have to visit and teach me how to make a proper snowman!

Samfan :snowman:
Samfan

Postby Lynnedean » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:32 pm

Your snowmen are great, Samfan! I particularly love the Doctor!

Of course, with my love of Canada, I'd have preferred a Montreal Canadiens strip on the hockey guy. :D
Lynnedean

Postby Samfan » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:40 pm

Lynnedean wrote:Your snowmen are great, Samfan! I particularly love the Doctor!

Of course, with my love of Canada, I'd have preferred a Montreal Canadiens strip on the hockey guy. :D

Thanks Lynne.

I had visions of a taller snowman. Wet snow is heavy! I guess I thought when I rolled the snow, it would stick together more so I could make a ball--no such luck here. At bit Yoda-ish is he. He's also a bit bug-eyed. For the eyes and buttons, I used the lids of disposable coffee cups.

I do like the Canadiens' sweaters! More than the Blackhawsks', actually.

Samfan
Samfan

Postby Lynnedean » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:44 pm

Samfan wrote:I had visions of a taller snowman. Wet snow is heavy! I guess I thought when I rolled the snow, it would stick together more so I could make a ball--no such luck here. [...] For the eyes and buttons, I used the lids of disposable coffee cups.

Some suggestions you may wish to try at some time, Samfan ...

If the snow won't roll easily, just scoop up handfuls of the stuff and build your snowman that way. I usually start with a medium-sized ball in place and then use the add-a-handful-at-a-time method to build it up. Doesn't take me long, because, even on the odd occasion when there's enough snow, I don't have the patience to take the time to build a very big snowman. :D

If you can't get coal for the eyes and buttons, cut six-inch lengths off a broom handle or piece of thick wooden dowling, and paint the end of each one black. Shave the other end of each piece to a point so that it will be easier to tap into the snowman. You'd have to be careful when tapping, because doing it too enthusiastically could cause the little guy to crumble! Using six-inch or longer pieces of wood also means that your snowman's eyes and buttons won't fall out as the snowman begins to melt.

Alternatively, colour some corks, or use big black buttons with long matchsticks or cocktail sticks pushed through the holes to pin them to your snowman. But, hey, you're a knitter, so why not use tight little balls of wool? Matchsticks or cocktails sticks to keep them in place would work for those, too.

If the above ideas wouldn't provide eyes and buttons of a big enough size, you could cut the coffee-cup lids down to the size you want and then push a large flat-headed nail through the centre of each one to keep it in place. This method may actually make the eyes look more like eyes, because they'd have something in the centre.

It's much more fun to make your own snowman items, but if you want to go the easy way, you could buy a snowman kit. There are several on Amazon if a local supermarket doesn't sell 'em. :D
Lynnedean

Postby Samfan » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:15 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, Lynne!

I did build the snowman by mostly piling up the snow and patting it into place. Like you, I don't have the patience to build tall ones. I was just posing it for a few pictures, so I didn't need more permanent stuff--it was a spur of the moment idea. thanks for the suggestions--now I can make my own snowman kit :biggrin:

Samfan
Samfan

Postby Lynnedean » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:54 pm

Samfan wrote:... now I can make my own snowman kit

Well, you've already got the hat and the scarf! :D
Lynnedean

Postby Samfan » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:26 pm

Lynnedean wrote:
If you can't get coal for the eyes and buttons, cut six-inch lengths off a broom handle or piece of thick wooden dowling, and paint the end of each one black. Shave the other end of each piece to a point so that it will be easier to tap into the snowman.

And, it would also be good for killing vampires! :lol:

Samfan
Samfan

Postby kitchentease » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:08 pm

Lynnedean wrote:Your snowmen are great, Samfan! I particularly love the Doctor!

Your snowmen are fabulous, Samfan, but Lynne's right about the hockey guy playing for the wrong team. So Lynne, you love snow and Canada, what's keeping you on that side of the Atlantic? The price of good whisky over here?
But, what does the brain matter....compared to the heart?
kitchentease

Postby Lynnedean » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:28 am

kitchentease wrote:... So Lynne, you love snow and Canada, what's keeping you on that side of the Atlantic? The price of good whisky over here?

I love Canada, KT, but I'm very much a home bird. If I could afford it (and the whisky), I'd visit more often than I do, but I wouldn't want to live anywhere other than in England on a permanent basis. As a Geordie living in the East Midlands, I'm homesick enough for Tyneside, as it is.

Hmn ... having said that, I may have a rethink when we get the result of the EU referendum! (It's okay, Lesley, I'm not gonna talk politics.)
Lynnedean

Postby amiga » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:06 am

A friend in Oldam has loads of snow. Maybe you should move to improve your odds :smile:

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Postby Lynnedean » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:43 pm

No snow in my area of the UK, but my sister in Canada has just sent me a message telling me to check out the Peggy's Cove webcam. Yep - lots of lovely snow in Nova Scotia right now! At least I can enjoy looking at it. Webcam watching Peggy's Cove Lighthouse, NS
Lynnedean

Postby Rhonllor » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:50 pm

Wow! Beautiful webcam scenery! That looks like a place I need to visit.
Rhonllor

Postby Lynnedean » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:14 am

Rhonllor wrote:

Wow! Beautiful webcam scenery! That looks like a place I need to visit.

You really do, Rhonllor. It's one of my favourite places in Nova Scotia. I've clambered all over those rocks on various occasions, and had many a lunch in the Sou'Wester, the restaurant on the wall of which the webcam is situated. Watching an edition of the BBC's "Who Do You Think You Are?" family history series the other day, I suddenly realised that UK TV presenter Richard Madeley, whose ancestry had been traced back to NS, was sitting in the Sou'Wester, and then, to my delight, we got a lovely close-up of the Peggy's Cove lighthouse. :smile:
Lynnedean

PreviousNext

Return to Over the Back Fence