SNOW????

Hey there neighbour, what's new?

SNOW????

Postby Lynette » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:03 am

Hey Lynne!

Got SNOW?

How 'bout the rest of you Brits?

(For the uninitiated: Lynnedean loves snow, but doesn't see nearly as much of it in Lincolnshire as she'd like ... )
Lynette

Re: SNOW????

Postby Lynnedean » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:52 am

I've had my snowman kit waiting beside my front door since before Christmas, Lynette, but I've had no chance to use it, because there hasn't been a single snowflake so far. :| We've been told that we may get some next week, but I'm not going to get excited until it happens.

~ Lynne
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby foylefan » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:26 am

Lynne,
I just noticed your location note under your avatar--pretty funny!
foylefan

Postby Sunshine » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:00 am

It's been a milder winter all over - really in the opposite direction from the last two winters, when it was extremely snowy to the north and extremely cold to the south.

Generally good here, but I'd love a chance to use my cold weather boots a couple more times before summer - which usually starts here by April Fool's Day. :eyeroll:
Just looked over the chapter on "Horse Racing and Illegal Rambling."

I haven't got the requisite capacity for deceit.
Sunshine

Postby Samfan » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:36 am

I'm longing for more snow here in the Midwest U.S. We've had some good snowfalls in January, but they've disappeared quickly. I did a bit of night skiing (cross-country) a few weekends ago at a county park about 45 minutes from me. Cold, no wind, clear sky, just at sunset. Very beautiful. Snow on all the branches. A fire lit at one of the picnic shelters along the trail. Perfect.

Here's hoping for more snow!

Samfan
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Postby historianheidi » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:31 pm

We don't tend to get much snow here (the English South Coast is meant to be a little warmer than the rest of the UK). Having said that we did get quite a lot in 2009 and 2010, but that was very unusual.

I'm actually quite glad that there hasn't been any snow yet. I do like looking at it-and photographing it-but I can't go out in it! Where there's snow there's also ice and my balance is very bad because of an old knee injury. Usually when I fall over, I manage to hurt myself quite severely (my knee injury was as a result of me falling off a kerb!). So going out in the snow and ice is just not worth it and means I'm effectively trapped indoors. Normally that doesn't matter as I can work from home but this year I'm also doing a teaching course over in Brighton.

Still, I don't mean to sound like a miserable old woman and I hope that you get some snow soon, Lynne! :D Your night ski-ing sounds fantastic, Samfan.
historianheidi

Postby Lynnedean » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:35 pm

Heidi - sorry that you have problems with going out in the snow; I hope that your part of the country stays snow-free. Will continue to hope the opposite for the Midlands, though. :D Incidentally, I sympathise with you regarding your knee injury, as I've had a dodgy knee since slipping on my kitchen floor in 2007 - a two-second accident that caused nerve damage that will give me trouble for the rest of my life!

Samfan - as Heidi says, your night skiing exercise sounds fantastic. I'm green with envy! Even if we got enough snow, that sort of thing wouldn't be possible around here.

~ Lynne
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby Sunshine » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:23 pm

historianheidi wrote: (my knee injury was as a result of me falling off a kerb!).

Heidi, is that the same word with a different spelling and pronunciation here in the U.S. (where it's "curb")?
Just looked over the chapter on "Horse Racing and Illegal Rambling."

I haven't got the requisite capacity for deceit.
Sunshine

Postby historianheidi » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:24 pm

Thanks, Lynne. I'm sorry about your nerve damage and I know what you mean about 2 second accidents. That's about the length of time it took for my accident, 7 years ago. I slipped and most of me went one way but my left knee decided to go in a completely different direction. The end result was torn ligaments in my knee and me not being able to walk for a while. My knee will always be a bit dodgy although it's much better than it was.

I would assume that it is the same thing, Sunshine-the bit that goes down from the pavement (sidewalk?) to the road. :biggrin:
historianheidi

Postby ayresorchids » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:28 pm

foylefan wrote:Lynne,
I just noticed your location note under your avatar--pretty funny!

Your comment, foylefan, reminds me of something I meant to tell the forum earlier. I've a friend in New York named Barbara Rosene, a fabulous singer of songs mainly from the 1920s-40s. When she was performing in December at Blues Alley here in Washington, D.C., her pianist was a terrific one named Conal Fowkes (a member of Woody Allen's jazz trio, he can be heard playing and singing in Midnight in Paris).

Barbara and Conal bantered on stage a bit between songs. After the concert I was talking with Conal at the bar and I asked, "You're from The Midlands, aren't you?" and he was most impressed that I'd be able to tell, as he'd never mentioned it to Barbara. He asked how I knew and I told him it was because I was bonkers about an actor from Leicester, whose native accent sounded like his. And guess in exactly what city Conal grew up?

He'd never heard of Michael Kitchen, though. :|
...And I do hope that you find somebody who deserves you.
ayresorchids

Postby amiga » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:38 pm

ayresorchids wrote:He'd never heard of Michael Kitchen, though. :|

I sometimes think the only people who have heard of him are the ones on this forum. No one I've met from the UK has ever heard of him. Very strange.

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Postby hazeleyes57 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:46 am

Getting off piste a little (pun intended!)...

I think Michael Kitchen is quite well known as a 'proper' actor, as in someone who acts with a craft, the way a carpenter uses a plane. He does not like the 'social' side of acting or pushing his way 'out there', which is what a lot of less talented star wannabes thrive on. Michael allows his work to speak for him, rather than endless interviews. Personally I think it makes him more appealing rather then less. I bet if you ask other actors, they know exactly who he is.

As for snow, Gawd, I hope not! I live down an old brick kiln lane, single track with big pot holes. When it snows I have to walk to work as we sold our 4x4 last year (him indoors choice). Give me winter in Florida every time. :D
hazeleyes57

Location: Colchester, England, home of the Iceni, Boudicca and jolly nice cake shops

Postby Mickledore » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:41 am

Snow on the tops of the fells here - and over in the east of the county, I think ... but nothing here on the western coastal fringe. Cold though. Barely above freezing. :shock:
Mickledore

Postby Lynnedean » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:40 am

It's snowing! It's snowing!

Yipee! It's snowing!

Okay, it's not a lot ... in fact, it's hardly anything - a flake here and a flake there - and probably won't lie for long ... but at least it's snowing!

~ Lynne

ETA: Only fourteen bloomin' snowflakes. I counted. :sad:
Lynnedean

Postby foylefan » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:10 pm

Sorry about that, Lynne. Still...you got to see at least a couple of flakes! My husband assures me that it is possible to get tired of snow, but I've never lived in a place where that seemed likely to happen. Did you at least get a mug of hot chocolate?
foylefan

Postby Lynnedean » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:04 pm

Alas, no, Foylefan. And it looks as though that's our snowfall for the week! :eyeroll:

~ Lynne
Lynnedean

Postby Englishfan » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:20 am

We are waiting for 12-24" here in the Denver area. We need it. I love snow. Snowplow is aimed out of the garage and we're ready.

I read that most snowplow accidents are caused by newspapers: they are on the driveway, get caught in the plow and stop the blades, operator reaches in to remove it as the blades are not running at that moment, and when the paper is removed and the blades resume,.............so be careful if you use one.

Ready to be snowed in tomorrow.....

Englishfan.
Englishfan

Postby tucsongal » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:53 am

Here in sunny southern Arizona it is a not too often that we experience the wonderful white stuff. We are happy for the occasional small drop of rain. I am enjoying seeing where all the members come from. Seems that we are really spread out far and wide. :wave:
tucsongal

Postby Wolesley » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:28 am

Lynnedean wrote:Only fourteen bloomin' snowflakes. I counted.

Awwww. :hug:
:rofl:
Lesley
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Postby bee » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:32 am

Well, no snow here so far, but it's freezing cold (and gloriously sunny) -10 degrees, during the day, and in the sun, that's quite something in the Rhine valley. I had to take all my courage to make it to the supermarket yesterday evening :wink:
There is no one else...
bee

Next

Return to Over the Back Fence