Broken Leg

Hey there neighbour, what's new?

Broken Leg

Postby Samfan » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:19 pm

I was walking my dog this past Friday and I slipped on some ice and broke the femur in my right leg (broken in 3 places). I had surgery Friday night to insert a rod and pins into the bone. At least 6-8 weeks of non-weight bearing on my right leg--just toe touch for balance. I got a shiny, new walker for Christmas--I use it to hop on my left leg to get around. Thankfully I am living with my parents at the moment and they can help me. A physical therapist comes three days a week to check my strength and flexibility progress, and I have to do exercises. Thankfully I have Netflix and Amazon Video to keep me company. Where's Jack when I need him? :jacksmile: The occupational therapist who came was quite dishy. Alas, he said he only needed to come the one time.
Attachments
Leg_Walker_Tree_opt.jpg
Leg_Walker_Tree_opt.jpg (12.42 KiB) Viewed 759 times
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Re: Broken Leg

Postby vicky » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:58 pm

So sorry to hear of your accident. No dancing around the Christmas tree for
you this year! Glad you are lucky enough to have your parents around to
help you recover. Hope you are well enough to enjoy the good things that
Christmas brings.
vicky

Postby amiga » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:17 pm

:eek: Ouch! So sorry to hear about your accident. Try to look on the bright side...you don't have to help with Christmas cleanup, you can binge watch all those shows you haven't had time to watch and read all those books waiting for you, and there's the benefit of living with your parents who can help you.

All joking aside, hope you heal quicker than they think and will soon be up and about. Hope you will have a happy Christmas in spite of it all, and that 2018 brings you only good things. :rudolfbig:

Take care, Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Postby Sunshine » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:12 pm

Oh, no!!!! Sorry to hear about your leg, and that Dr. Jack can't help (at least not physically)! :jack:

Walkers are good; I used one when I badly sprained an ankle many years ago, and more recently when I was getting back on my feet after the surgery I recently had.

Feel better soon!!!!
Just looked over the chapter on "Horse Racing and Illegal Rambling."

I haven't got the requisite capacity for deceit.
Sunshine

Postby kitchentease » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:16 am

My sympathies, Samfan. Broken in 3 places! You certainly don't do things by halves, do you? I hope your recovery will go smoothly and you'll enjoy rewatching old favourites and finding new ones.
But, what does the brain matter....compared to the heart?
kitchentease

Postby Lynnedean » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:32 am

Samfan wrote:I was walking my dog this past Friday and I slipped on some ice and broke the femur in my right leg (broken in 3 places).

Have been out of touch with QEN for a while, Samfan, and only just caught up with your news. I'm sorry to learn of your accident. I hope you'll soon be able to hop around on both feet!

What was Ginger's reaction when you fell and couldn't get up? I imagine that she was quite distressed. Have you got her with you at your parents' house?

One thing that will surely cheer you up is that the Doctor Who Christmas special Twice Upon a Time is coming up on TV today and will be shown in the US, too. It will, of course, show the Twelfth Doctor's regeneration. I'll watch it - I'm looking forward to seeing No.12 meet No.1! - but, as you know, I'm not happy about the replacement, so whether or not I'll continue to look in on the next series is very much in question.
Radio Times: The Doctor Who Christmas Special

Thinks: You're a dab hand with Lego bricks, so how about building yourself a life-size Dalek, climbing inside and getting around that way? Occurs to me, though, that if you go out in it, you might find yourself on another patch of ice and go careering head-first into a tree, so perhaps not.

Hang on in there, kidda! :reindeer:
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby Samfan » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:11 pm

Thanks for the kind wishes, everyone :wave:

I went to see the orthopedic surgeon today. Looking at the new X-ray, he said I had a stress fracture (one of the breaks was very straight), which was most likely due to the Fosamax I take for osteoporosis (Fosamax, ironically, makes femurs prone to stress fractures). The other 2 breaks were more jagged, caused by the fall. So, I have to stop taking this medication and find different one.

Its actually a blessing this happened now. If I had a stress fracture, there's no telling when the bone might have broken through. Could have been when I was home alone during January and February (when my parents were supposed to be in Arizona--they are not going now--at least for January).

So, same old same old for at least the next four weeks--no weight on right leg. Once the Christmas tree comes down, we have 2 jigsaw puzzles to do. And we can watch the lovely snow coming down. Sigh.
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Return to Over the Back Fence