U.S. HURRICANES

Hey there neighbour, what's new?

U.S. HURRICANES

Postby Englishfan » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:38 pm

THINKING OF THOSE IN IRMA'S PATH.

We have some forum people in FLA and wish we knew how are all doing.

Please think of them. Hard to get to a safe place there since Irma is covering all of FLA.

Hope they will stay in touch and that we will help support them in our own ways.

Englishfan
Englishfan

Re: U.S. HURRICANES

Postby amiga » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:40 pm

Englishfan wrote:THINKING OF THOSE IN IRMA'S PATH.

We have some forum people in FLA and wish we knew how are all doing.

Please think of them. Hard to get to a safe place there since Irma is covering all of FLA.

Hope they will stay in touch and that we will help support them in our own ways.

Englishfan

Thank you, Englishfan. After 12 harrowing hours, the winds slowed down to Tropical Storm force, which wasn't great either, but not as scary. Fortunately, my house has hurricane shutters so I felt somewhat protected, but of course, there's always the roof. I couldn't see what was going on, but hearing it was very very scary. Lost power, but am happy to say it has been restored. Many big trees down in my neighborhood, flooding in some areas and millions of people without power. I consider myself very lucky. Many parts of Florida have been destroyed or are still severely flooded. Cleanup and restoration is going to take a long time.

We haven't had a hurricane in a few years, but this was the big one covering all of Florida at a category 4-5. I am grateful to be one of the lucky ones.
Thanks, again, EF

Hope Sunshine is doing OK.

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Postby Lynnedean » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:17 pm

It's great to hear that you're okay, Amiga. :wave: I can't imagine what it must be like to be sitting in the middle of all that, not knowing what's going to happen but knowing what could. "Scary" doesn't cover it! I hope your neighbourhood makes a good recovery soon.
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby amiga » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:35 pm

Lynnedean wrote:It's great to hear that you're okay, Amiga. :wave: I can't imagine what it must be like to be sitting in the middle of all that, not knowing what's going to happen but knowing what could. "Scary" doesn't cover it! I hope your neighbourhood makes a good recovery soon.

Thanks, Lynne, appreciate it.

Price one pays for living in paradise. Well, mostly paradise, except for hurricanes and summer heat :lol:

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Postby Englishfan » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:55 pm

Yeah!

So glad you are okay! Wonderful forum members were in the path of Irma and I can't get you all off my mind as I see the horrible results of the storm.

And worst of all, tongue in cheek, I was afraid you could not access any of Michael Kitchen's movies without electricity! BAD situation all around!

Just relieved to know you are well and here's hoping Sunshine is, too, and the other members in FLA.

Let's hope this is not a storm to be repeated soon.

Englishfan
Englishfan

Postby amiga » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:42 pm

Englishfan wrote:Yeah!

So glad you are okay! Wonderful forum members were in the path of Irma and I can't get you all off my mind as I see the horrible results of the storm.

And worst of all, tongue in cheek, I was afraid you could not access any of Michael Kitchen's movies without electricity! BAD situation all around!

Just relieved to know you are well and here's hoping Sunshine is, too, and the other members in FLA.

Let's hope this is not a storm to be repeated soon.

Englishfan

Thanks, EF. Happy to report that all MK DVD's, audio books, etc. are safe. Priorities, priorities :lol:

Amiga
amiga

Postby vicky » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:42 pm

Very glad to hear that you are safe after Hurricane Irma brought such devastation
to your part of the world. Do hope Sunshine is safe too. Hope you receive all the
aid required in the rebuilding process.
vicky

Postby amiga » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:23 pm

Thanks, Vicky. Pretty devastating to so many people. I am indeed one of the lucky ones.

Amiga
amiga

Postby Sunshine » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:17 pm

Hello. I'm glad everyone's OK from the storms that have hit the US (Do we have any Foyle/MK fans in the Caribbean islands that have been hit so hard by Irma, Jose and Maria? If so, I hope they're well and recover soon.)

I'm concerned about everyone in the UK and Europe who's about to get smacked by Ophelia. Stay safe!

Glad to be back on the board after a long while. There are a few reasons beyond the storm that I haven't been posting.

With the storm, power went out for a few days; my sister's went out for more than a week (We stayed with her, but were able to come home after 4 days.). What lingers around town is the debris (lots of tree branches), but we're lucky compared to what the Caribbean, the mid-Florida Keys and some parts of Texas have gone through.

We had a personal tragedy, however.

My father had already been seriously ill since mid-August and passed away just after the storm from heart problems. He lived a long life (age 88) and nothing was more important to him than his family. The memories of his words and actions sustain us, as do other people's recollections of him as a good and honest man.

My posting may continue to be sporadic for a time; I'm having surgery next week and will be recovering for several weeks. I've been trying to scribble the next chapter of "Roses in Wartime" when I can.
Just looked over the chapter on "Horse Racing and Illegal Rambling."

I haven't got the requisite capacity for deceit.
Sunshine

Postby Lynnedean » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:54 pm

It's great to hear from you, Sunshine, and to learn that you came through the hurricane okay. On the other hand, I'm very sad to hear of your loss. I trust that you will take comfort in the warm memories of your much loved dad. What with that and your forthcoming surgery, you're certainly going through a difficult time right now. I do hope that the medical procedure goes well and that you have a speedy recovery. I'll be keeping you in my prayers.

~ Lynne
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby jewell » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:55 pm

Hi Sunshine,

We've been worrying about you, but we didn't know the extents of your troubles - it seems the storm was just a small part.

I'm sorry about losing your dad. Good luck and good health with you upcoming surgery.

Prayers for you.

J
"When they ask why, I'll go: well, it's the least, no, honestly, it's the very bloody least I could do!

"And not just decked him. No! Fried the devious, dirty bastard to a crisp in the luxury of his over-waxed car!"
jewell

Postby amiga » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:07 pm

Sorry about your Dad. The storm seemingly the least of your troubles. Hope all goes well with your surgery.

Amiga
amiga

Postby starlight » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:41 am

A sad time for you, Sunshine. Hope your hospital stay is a short one. :rose:
Do I need to remind you...how much you can trust me?
starlight

Postby kitchentease » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:24 pm

Thinking of you, Sunshine, and wishing you well with your surgery. I hope you and your family will be comforted in your loss by your memories of your father.
But, what does the brain matter....compared to the heart?
kitchentease

Postby Sunshine » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:55 pm

Thank you all for your kind words.

The surgery was a week ago; I went home the same day and I'm recovering now.

Sunshine

Postby kitchenwonder » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:15 am

Sunshine...

Thinking of you. :rose: :rose: :rose:
"Well...The Foyles, you know, always have been hard to resist." (Enemy Fire S3E2)
"If Michael Kitchen played a corpse, you would still watch him more than anyone else." (Jaci Stephen, The Mail, November 3, 2002)
kitchenwonder

Postby Sunshine » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:33 pm

Thank you!

Feeling much better and regaining strength.

And I'm typing away at a new chapter for "Roses in Wartime." :foyle1:

Sunshine

Postby jewell » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:27 pm

Sunshine wrote:And I'm typing away at a new chapter for "Roses in Wartime." :foyle1:

:biggrin:
"When they ask why, I'll go: well, it's the least, no, honestly, it's the very bloody least I could do!

"And not just decked him. No! Fried the devious, dirty bastard to a crisp in the luxury of his over-waxed car!"
jewell

Postby vicky » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:34 pm

Hi Sunshine,

Owing to some personal problems I, too, have only been a very occasional visitor
to the board, so I've only just learned of the difficult time you've been having
recently. I am very pleased. though, to hear that your are well on the road to
recovery Hope the typing is proving theraputic.
vicky

Postby kitchentease » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:08 pm

Hello Vicky,
So sorry to read of your troubles, I hope things are looking up for you now
But, what does the brain matter....compared to the heart?
kitchentease

Return to Over the Back Fence