[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Quietly Enigmatic • View topic - Has Anyone Read The Outlander Series?

Has Anyone Read The Outlander Series?

What you are watching, reading, listening to or creating when MK's not on the telly.

Has Anyone Read The Outlander Series?

Postby FancyFoyle » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:20 pm

The Outlander series is one of my favorites and Diana Gabaldon is a really terrific author! Her books are SO well-written and intensely researched. It takes her three years (or more!) to finish each new book in the series. I think number eight, Written In My Own Heart's Blood, should be out soon-ish. For anyone who hasn't read the books, the story is set (mostly) in the Highlands in the 18th Century. It's about a WWII Royal Army nurse who accidentally walks through a stone circle in 1945 and ends up in the 18th Century. It's FAN-bloody-TASTIC!

I'm not sure yet how I feel about it, but they're making Outlander into a series on Starz. Here's a link to the official Starz page: . They're supposedly going to deliver it in 16 episodes so, fingers crossed, it should be faithful to the book. When I first heard that DG had sold the film rights, I had mixed feelings. These characters are like family to me and the books are LONG (700-1000 pages each) so the chances of Hollywood doing them justice in a two-hour film are slim to none. IMHO, the book is nearly always better. Can I get an amen? At first I was thrilled, but then I thought "there's no way they can find actors who fit the characters". The main male character is a 6'4", red-haired, 23 year-old, Scottish Highlander. They've cast Sam Heughan () in the role. He's tall and Scottish, but IMO he doesn't have the right look.

So I'm conflicted. I know I'll end up giving in and watching the series, but it'll be under protest. :lol:

Can anyone relate?

Sign Me Frustrated,
Martha
FancyFoyle

Return to Watching, Reading, Listening, Creating