Songs in your head....

What you are watching, reading, listening to or creating when MK's not on the telly.

Re: Songs in your head....

Postby FancyFoyle » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:51 pm

OMG, Samfan, we do that, too! It's so good to know that my family isn't the only odd one out there, LOL!
Martha
FancyFoyle

Postby Samfan » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:07 pm

FancyFoyle wrote:OMG, Samfan, we do that, too! It's so good to know that my family isn't the only odd one out there, LOL!
Martha

Well, at least we're cheerful!! :lol:

Samfan
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Postby Samfan » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:34 pm

This past Thursday night at orchestra rehearsal, we played Halloween-type music. One of the pieces we played was Edvard Grieg's In the Hall of the Mountain King:

http://youtu.be/vGMibtThdmA

The tune is very repetitive, as you can hear. So of course its very easy to get it stuck in your mind (as it has in mine).

Other "scary"-type music we played:
-Toccata (from Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D Minor):
http://youtu.be/sr5PYnVb1iM
-Scooby-doo
-Theme from Jaws
-Murder scene from Psycho
-Monster Mash
-Ghostbusters

The downtown merchants in the town in which I live and work host trick-or-treating on the Saturday near Halloween, and my orchestra will be there. Too bad I won't, because it really is fun music to play. It is my fall break and I will be out of town.

:windy: :witching: :jackolantern: :bat:

Samfan
Last edited by Samfan on Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Postby ayresorchids » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:21 pm

Samfan wrote:
Other "scary"-type music we played:
-Toccata (from Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D Minor):
http://youtu.be/sr5PYnVb1iM

Samfan

Samfan,

When I was at William and Mary I was dating an organist who would practice at Bruton Parish Church on Duke of Gloucester Street at night. As the point of DOG Street was to step back into Colonial America, it was lit only with lamplight. His fave thing to do was to begin at about 9 pm as crowds were thinning a bit, but still present, and play the Toccata and Fugue, pulling out all the stops!
...And I do hope that you find somebody who deserves you.
ayresorchids

Postby Samfan » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:36 pm

ayresorchids wrote:
Samfan,

When I was at William and Mary I was dating an organist who would practice at Bruton Parish Church on Duke of Gloucester Street at night. As the point of DOG Street was to step back into Colonial America, it was lit only with lamplight. His fave thing to do was to begin at about 9 pm as crowds were thinning a bit, but still present, and play the Toccata and Fugue, pulling out all the stops!

Cool!! :thumbsup:

Samfan
Samfan

Postby FancyFoyle » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:19 pm

ayresorchids wrote:When I was at William and Mary I was dating an organist who would practice at Bruton Parish Church.....

Not to change the subject, but W&M and Bruton Parish Church are really close to me. My dad went to W&M, too. It's a great school and very old. I think it was established in 1693, if memory serves. I think you said that you're in Arlington now, correct? Well, that's still not far from Virginia Beach :wavehello:

I've been to Bruton Parish Church. Isn't it supposedly the oldest church in the country that's still in use? Or something like that...

Anyway, just goes to show what a small world we live in and it's getting smaller everyday.

I think that's just tickety-boo!
Martha
FancyFoyle

Postby ayresorchids » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:29 pm

I was in the choir there, in my college days. It was very Church of England and so of course I loved it.
ayresorchids

Postby Samfan » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:52 pm

When I was in high school, my grandma, parents, and I went and saw The Phantom of the Opera at the Auditorium Theatre in Chicago. I had the music running through my head for at least a week.

[i]The Phantom of the Opera.....
(we play this theme in orchestra...

Samfan
Samfan

Postby Samfan » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:41 am

Puff, the magic dragon, lives by the sea... over and over and over again. In my head. Help me.

The children's area in the library where I volunteer has music softly playing. Tonight it was this song, looping over and over again. Groan. :brickwall:

Samfan
Samfan

Postby Lynnedean » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:43 am

Perhaps one of my favourite Larson cartoons will help drive the song from your head, Samfan ...

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby Samfan » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:10 am

Lynnedean wrote:Perhaps one of my favourite Larson cartoons will help drive the song from your head, Samfan ...

:lol: :lol:

Thank you!!
Samfan

Postby Samfan » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:59 pm

Not music, but....

'You is kind, you is smart, you is important".

From the book The Help
Samfan

Postby Samfan » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:24 pm

"She was afraid to come out of the water, she was afraid that somebody would see...It was an itsy-bitsy teeny-weeny yellow polk-a-dot bikini..that she wore for the first time today...."

Oh help. :-?

Samfan
Samfan

Postby ayresorchids » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:56 pm

I woke up this morning with "Just Walk Away, Renee" running through my head, although I haven't heard it in years. I always wonder what causes that!
ayresorchids

Postby beingmissy » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:49 pm

ayresorchids wrote:I woke up this morning with "Just Walk Away, Renee" running through my head, although I haven't heard it in years. I always wonder what causes that!

That is such a beautiful song; now I happily have it in my head, too! Thanks :whistling:
beingmissy

Postby Sunshine » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:22 pm

I'm officially tired of the "Happy" song. It happened a couple of weeks ago when the TV station I used to work for showed people in the newsroom, including some I used to work with, dancing to it on the air......
Just looked over the chapter on "Horse Racing and Illegal Rambling."

I haven't got the requisite capacity for deceit.
Sunshine

Postby TicketyBoo » Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:04 am

Damn, I was going to video the tots dancing to "Happy" on Easter Sunday after their egg hunt. Bad idea? Be honest. They are 1-6 years of age and pretty cute, gushed their auntie.
TBoo
TicketyBoo

Postby Sunshine » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:18 pm

I think it's OK for the kids, TBoo. My problem is with adults working in a newsroom. :|
Just looked over the chapter on "Horse Racing and Illegal Rambling."

I haven't got the requisite capacity for deceit.
Sunshine

Postby TicketyBoo » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:10 am

Sunshine wrote:I think it's OK for the kids, TBoo. My problem is with adults working in a newsroom. :|

Now, that's funny.

I retired from the daily news biz a year ago after 30 years as a reporter and then columnist. No one was dancing in our newsroom. Hard to get "happy" about working for a dinosaur. Two years ago, my assistant was yelled at by the managing editor for laughing. Seriously.

Years ago, when circulation was high and budgets were fat, there was dancing, pop gun fights, an editor "alert" system and reporters shagging (I love that word) on the roof. It's so not fun anymore.

Thanks for the thumb's up on the kids' Easter video!

TicketyBoo
TicketyBoo

Postby cmee57 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:17 am

I've had my share of "ear worms" (songs stuck in my head), but yesterday from out of the blue a "poem worm" got me. Ogden Nash's poem The Termite popped in my head while driving home from work.

The Termite

Some primal termite knocked on wood
And tasted it, and found it good!
And that is why your Cousin May
Fell through the parlor floor today.

Mwhaa...Now I'm not alone, am I? :rofl:
"Special! And it's my word, anyway. I'm perfectly entitled to use it, so do bugger off. I'm sticking with it! Thank you!" - Alibi
cmee57

PreviousNext

Return to Watching, Reading, Listening, Creating