Songs in your head....

What you are watching, reading, listening to or creating when MK's not on the telly.

Songs in your head....

Postby Samfan » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:20 am

I've been thinking about writing this post for some time, but never had, until now. It was just too goofy. But, after a summer of having the same songs run through my head, I thought I'd share:

I bet I'm not the only one who has songs they just can't get out of their head. Lately, it's been pieces from West Side Story. Specifically:
-America
-Somewhere (("There's a place for us.....")

The orchestra that I am in is doing, as one of its pieces, a medley of West Side Story. I finally downloaded the original Motion Picture soundtrack (not the play..) of it. I keep singing the same phrase over and over: "there's a place for us....". And, when I'm not thinking of that, I'm singing America....!! Agggg!! Help!!!

Other songs in my head:
-Columbia, the Gem of the Ocean....it sails for the red, white, and blue.....which is a U.S. patriotic piece (and I 'don't even have this on any albums or playlists...)
-Any of you who live in the Midwest U.S. and can get AM Chicago stations like WGN 720 and WBBM 780 may get this annoying but addictive tune:
"1-877-KARS for Kids!! K-A-R_S Kars for Kids!! K-A-R-S Kars for Kids! Donate your car today...." (repeat....Agggg!!!)

Ok, please share the songs that are going through your heads.....

Samfan
(so I'm not alone ..... :eyeroll: )
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Re: Songs in your head....

Postby Wolesley » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:05 am

This could be a very dangerous thread - we might all drive each other 'round the bend!

Twenty-odd years ago, I had this song stuck in my head for many months, and I have no idea why (might have had something to do with my DH). It was 'The Wayward Wind' by Stan Lebowski and Herb Newman. I think the version in my head was sung by Gogi Grant, or it might have been Patsy Cline...

The wayward wind is a restless wind
A restless wind that yearns to wander
And he was born the next of kin
The next of kin to the wayward wind

I don't even like "western" music particularly!

Nowadays I am totally down with the hip, alternative music, :ugeek:
because my son is into it. The song I keep in my head lately is "Into the Wild" by a female artist who goes by the initials, LP. I like it, so it's not annoying to have it there. :biggrin:

Lesley
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Postby Lynnedean » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:53 am

In the UK, we have a term for tunes that lodge in the brain - earworms - and according to this article in the Daily Telegraph, scientists claim to have found a way to shift 'em ... The Telegraph: Get that tune out of your head :D

I'm not being plagued by anything like that at the moment, which, if the scientists are right, is probably because I've got so much on my mind right now that there's just no room for it (an occasional dip into the message board is helping to keep me sane), but when I do get attacked by an earworm, it's usually the haunting theme from the old TV series Ghost Squad. Why, for pity's sake? I haven't seen an episode of that series since the 1960s! ...

The theme can be heard here ... Ghost Squad theme (This is a great website for TV theme tunes, by the way, and it provides links by which the tunes can be downloaded as cell phone ringtones. If anyone is interested, the FW theme is listed.)
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby ayresorchids » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:44 pm

Have you ever waked in the morning to have some song in your head... and you haven't heard it in years? The other day that happened to me. It was a Chad & Jeremy tune called "A Summer Song."

I used to employ this fix for earworms, Lynne: I'd think of Fred Astaire singing "The Way You Look Tonight." (He was the first to sing it, btw.) Worked like a charm.

Have been enjoying a slew of not-heard-in-ages tunes on my satellite radio service in the car, especially on the "'60s on 6" channel. The Kinks, this morning: "You Really Got Me."
...And I do hope that you find somebody who deserves you.
ayresorchids

Postby jewell » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:57 pm

Lately:

"Oh, the monkeys have no tails in Zamboanga..." :noidea: :noidea:

J
"When they ask why, I'll go: well, it's the least, no, honestly, it's the very bloody least I could do!

"And not just decked him. No! Fried the devious, dirty bastard to a crisp in the luxury of his over-waxed car!"
jewell

Postby djdenver » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:27 pm

I just attended my high school reunion this past weekend. I won't give the number, but since it's from the 60's I think you can do the math. There's nothing like an entire evening with long forgotten 60's music playing quite loudly on a poor sound system while you're trying to catch up with old friends. I still have nightmares.................. :whistling:

Jeanne
djdenver

Postby Sunshine » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:19 am

jewell wrote:Lately:

"Oh, the monkeys have no tails in Zamboanga..." :noidea: :noidea:

J

That one reminds me of the 1959 movie "A Hole in the Head," in which Carolyn Jones sings it! :whistling:
Just looked over the chapter on "Horse Racing and Illegal Rambling."

I haven't got the requisite capacity for deceit.
Sunshine

Postby ayresorchids » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:07 pm

Another great (but lesser-known) tune from A Hole in the Head is the poignant song Frank sings over the opening credits, "All My Tomorrows":

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/1987 ... rrows.html
ayresorchids

Postby jewell » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:25 pm

Poig-nant! Poig-nant! You want poig-nant?

What could be more poig-nant than those poor monkeys...with no tails...in Zamboanga?

Geez. :eyeroll:
"When they ask why, I'll go: well, it's the least, no, honestly, it's the very bloody least I could do!

"And not just decked him. No! Fried the devious, dirty bastard to a crisp in the luxury of his over-waxed car!"
jewell

Postby ayresorchids » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:28 pm

jewell wrote:Poig-nant! Poig-nant! You want poig-nant?

What could be more poig-nant than those poor monkeys...with no tails...in Zamboanga?

Geez. :eyeroll:

I'd always heard it was Pago Pago. Tailless monkeys in both locations?
ayresorchids

Postby jewell » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:46 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Monke ... _Zamboanga

I had to look it up after I posted to figure out where I'd heard it.

The answer - "Donovan's Reef" -one of my favs. I think Lee Marvin sings it. I need to rewatch the movie to be sure.

And yes, Lee Marvin puts true poig-nant-cy in every line.

J

jewell

Postby Samfan » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:50 pm

"I Feel Pretty, so Pretty..."! :whistling:

West Side Story again :eyeroll:

Samfan
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Postby jewell » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:45 pm

Eight six seven, five three oh niiiine!

jewell

Postby Wolesley » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:32 pm

I saw The Proclaimers live in concert the other night, and rediscovered "Sunshine on Leith." Been listening to it, and singing, humming, and mumbling it, ever since, and viewing all the different performances of it on YT. What a powerful, and lovely, song.

Lesley
Wolesley

Postby hazeleyes57 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:17 pm

Samfan wrote:"I Feel Pretty, so Pretty..."! :whistling:

West Side Story again :eyeroll:

Samfan

Such a great film, with wonderful songs and sublime dancing (rooftop 'I wanna be in America!'), but the bit that always sticks in my head is Maria pleading with Tony to whisper while they are on her fire escape (re balcony) then they sing 'Tonight' at the tops of their voices!! :eyeroll:
hazeleyes57

Location: Colchester, England, home of the Iceni, Boudicca and jolly nice cake shops

Postby Wolesley » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:47 am

Sittin' on the dock at the Bay, watchin' the tide roll away...

Except in my case, the 'dock' is my balcony, and the 'bay' is a distant view of the Fraser River, which is, however, tidal at this end. Subtly tidal. Slack tide, just now.

Lovely, warm, sunny afternoon...
Lesley
Wolesley

Postby FancyFoyle » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:31 pm

I've had "Dia Luain, De Mairt" by Gaelic Storm bouncing off the edges of my mind for days now. It's a really great, upbeat song, and it helps me get housework done. Unfortunately, it's in Irish Gaelic and I don't have a phonetic translation. So, I just sing what I think are the right words and hope I'm correct. I seriously doubt I'll be running into any native Irish speakers around here who would quite possibly look at me as if I've grown a second head. I should be safe!
FancyFoyle

Postby Samfan » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:39 pm

Ever since my orchestra played it Sunday night, I've had the Theme from Tannhauser (Richard Wagner) in my mind.

Samfan
Samfan

Postby Sunshine » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:21 am

Something very different: The Michael McDonald song "Sweet Freedom" from the 1980s, which I heard for the first time in a long time the other day..... :whistling:
Just looked over the chapter on "Horse Racing and Illegal Rambling."

I haven't got the requisite capacity for deceit.
Sunshine

Postby Samfan » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:42 pm

I was in a meeting today at work, and we were filling out some forms. Somebody said, "wait, there's a place for that in here..."

Of course, my mind immediately went to singing, "there's a place for us.... AAGGHH!! :-?

Lest anyone think that I don't have enough to do to keep my mind occupied, I do!! :lol: Breaking into song runs in my family, particularly from my mother. Someone will say something, and she'll often start singing a related song or commercial jingle. :D

Samfan
Last edited by Samfan on Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Samfan

Next

Return to Watching, Reading, Listening, Creating