New Doctor Who

What you are watching, reading, listening to or creating when MK's not on the telly.

Re: New Doctor Who

Postby BookwormKate » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:07 am

Cool, thanks, Samfan! Neat idea!
"You could do with a good chat then..."
BookwormKate

Postby Samfan » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:12 pm

I'm putting this here because in the 50th anniversary special, a character wore a very long multi-colored scarf, reminiscent of the 4th Doctor's very long scarves. I just finished knitting my Doctor Who fourth Doctor scarf. The original scarves were about 12-14 feet (3.65-4.26 m) long. This one is a 'child-size' version, about 8 1/2 feet (2.59 m) long:

(And yes, it has no tassels. I don't know how to do tassels. I could always add them later. Tassels just get caught on things).

The pattern is from this website:

http://wittylittleknitter.com/really-odd-patterns/

...off to figure out how to actually wear it properly...

Samfan
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Postby Lynnedean » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:35 pm

That's quite something, Samfan! Tom Baker, the Fourth Doctor, wore his wrapped once around his neck - just do a Google image search for "Tom Baker Doctor Who" :D
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby Samfan » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:51 am

Well, I wore my DW scarf to my volunteering gig at the library last Tuesday night, and at least one co-worker recognized it as the "Fourth Doctor DW Scarf." She said, "I knew there was a reason why I liked that scarf." She says her favorite Doctors were the ones from the first Doctor through Tom Baker. Didn't like anyone after that, she said. And then I wore it to the high school on Wednesday afternoon. I walked into the main office to sign in, and a gentleman eating lunch exclaimed somthing like, "OMG! Is that a Doctor Who Scarf?!" He went on to say that he did not knit, but crocheted, and had crocheted a really loooong DW scarf. His favorite Doctor: David Tennant.

So, there are some DW fans here in my area of Indiana!

Samfan
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Postby Lynnedean » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:41 am

Just goes to show that there is intelligent life in the universe, Samfan. :D
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby Samfan » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:08 pm

Just watched it again. Brilliant! fun!

Samfan
Samfan

Postby Samfan » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:10 pm

Samfan wrote:I thought this was rather clever. For those of you familiar with the Doctor Who 50th anniversary special, The Day of the Doctor, and the American sitcom Friends: "The Doctor Who as Friends Show Spoof":

http://boringly.com/the-doctor-who-as-friends-show-spoof-video_1cc0e001e.html

Samfan

Here's the actual video...
Samfan
Samfan

Postby Samfan » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:03 pm

I watched the first episode of the 8th Season of Doctor Who last night, with Peter Capaldi as the new Doctor. I liked the episode. I was 'indifferent' to Capaldi as the new Doctor. I've not taken an instant dislike to him, nor have I taken an instant "Oh, my goodness, I just love the new Doctor" view, either. It will take me some getting used to seeing an older doctor, as compared to the younger Eccleston, Tennant, and Smith. I did like his Scottish accent (although, if he keeps up with it, I'm going to really have to find a way to get subtitles, because I had a hard time understanding the Scottish accent last night--more and more, I'm using subtitles with a lot of shows, anyway--both U.S. and British). Capaldi seemed to switch between an "English" accent and "Scottish" accent (filming out of sequence; and/or Doctor still learning his new, regenerated accent).

Some fun parts:
-Strax never getting some things right
-The Doctor making fun of his [Capaldi's] Scottish roots (he says something like, "I'm Scottish...this is good...now I can complain about things")
-I thought a reference was made to the Scottish up-coming referendum on Scottish independence (the Doctor talked about a country wanting to declare independence or something)

I really liked the new opening credits, and the newly-decorated TARDIS. Even the outside of the TARDIS looks different.

I'll keep watching....

Samfan
Samfan

Postby Wolesley » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:45 am

I watched this tonight, too, and felt the same way about Capaldi. Not instant approval, but not instant dislike either, so I guess I'm reserving judgement til I see a few more episodes.

Do like the Scottish accent (my Mum was Scottish).
Did like the ending bit with the phone call - very much, actually. And the whole idea of being asked to see the 'person' behind the outer signs of aging, which quite struck home for me, I must confess.

I thought Capaldi's monologue with the tramp, about not knowing his own face, was almost a Shakespearean moment, with perhaps a touch of Pinter. It struck me as quite a brilliant scene. Must watch it again to see if I get the same sense from it.

Lesley
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Postby BookwormKate » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:56 am

I agree too - I felt the same about Capaldi. He and Clara had some nice chemistry at the restaurant table - the banter seemed to work well. The moment I was really hooked however, was when Clara reached out behind her, trusting he would be there to rescue her. The telephone call just made it for me: it felt almost directed at the viewers as well as Clara, and it is a good message to take away. He is the same man inside. I loved all the references too: Amy, Sherlock Holmes, past series. I hope he keeps the Scottish accent!

The new openings credits were apparently originally made by a fan! And I agree, Lesley, the scene in the alley with the tramp was really well done. I am curious to see how this series with Capaldi progresses...
BookwormKate

Postby hazeleyes57 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:44 am

"I'm not your boyfriend...<>...it wasn't your mistake."

:samcry: :samcry: :samcry:
hazeleyes57

Location: Colchester, England, home of the Iceni, Boudicca and jolly nice cake shops

Postby Lynnedean » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:06 am

Out of the country at the moment, but managed to see the new Doctor. Determined to dislike him, I viewed with gritted teeth ... and found myself jolly we'll liking the blighter. He was both interesting and funny. I'm actually looking forward to the rest of the series.

I agree that the accent wasn't consistent; can't think it was intentional, so methinks Mr C needs to watch that, but over-all, the Boy Done Good.
Lynnedean

Postby Samfan » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:57 pm

Lynnedean wrote:Out of the country at the moment, but managed to see the new Doctor. Determined to dislike him, I viewed with gritted teeth ... and found myself jolly we'll liking the blighter. He was both interesting and funny. I'm actually looking forward to the rest of the series.

I agree that the accent wasn't consistent; can't think it was intentional, so methinks Mr C needs to watch that, but over-all, the Boy Done Good.

Glad you liked it! I'm also looking forward to watching it this Saturday.

Samfaan
Samfan

Postby Jillybean » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:06 am

Lynnedean wrote:Out of the country at the moment, but managed to see the new Doctor. Determined to dislike him, I viewed with gritted teeth ... and found myself jolly we'll liking the blighter. He was both interesting and funny. I'm actually looking forward to the rest of the series.

A bit of a change to three much younger Doctors (only counting the newer BBC incarnations), his movements are less manic but I'm warming to him. My favourite line so far "Don't be Lasagne" :biggrin:
There's something about you fascinates me...
Jillybean

Postby Samfan » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:28 am

I really liked this 3rd ep. I found myself really laughing out loud at some of scenes and lines. And, I finally figured out how to make the closed captioning subtitles work (I had to get my Dish receiver manual out at the first set of commericals). I didn't really like the second episode--too much time spent in one place--inside a Dalek. But, I've DVR-d all the eps so far. Maybe I just need to go back and watch the second one with subtitles. I'm also interested to see what this "Promised Land" [Heaven]thing is all about--it's been brought up now in all 3 eps.

-And the next ep looks rather spooky.... :yikes:
Samfan
Samfan

Postby Lynnedean » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:47 am

Ooh, I had trouble with this one, Samfan! I did laugh out loud at some of the lines, too, but I'm afraid that's as far as my enjoyment went. I thought the script to be unusually weak over-all, and the storyline to be a load of twaddle.

What the heck has happened to the Doctor Who character? Even for all his fooling around, the 11th Doctor was still in the tradition of being a Rock, someone you could trust accurately to assess the situation and come up with a solution to the problem, but more often than not this one spouts daft theories and jumps to erroneous conclusions, and has to be steered in the right direction by his young female companion (who, in any case, irritates me no end!) or one of the other characters. And is an over-inflated ego to be a main characteristic of the Capaldi Doctor? The Doctors have always been full of themselves, but not to the pathetic extent of competing to show Who's best at this or that! As for the accent? Seems that once having established it as Scottish, Mr C is speaking as he normally does, with only a trace of it.

Was left a bit puzzled by something else last night. Would someone please tell me how Robin Hood and the Doctor freed themselves from being chained to the block of stone? If it was shown, I missed it, in which case, did I look away at the moment it happened, or was that bit of the action one of the many cuts made to accommodate the ad breaks in the Canadian broadcast (I'm in Nova Scotia at the moment).
Lynnedean

Postby Samfan » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:11 pm

Lynnedean wrote:...Was left a bit puzzled by something else last night. Would someone please tell me how Robin Hood and the Doctor freed themselves from being chained to the block of stone? If it was shown, I missed it, in which case, did I look away at the moment it happened, or was that bit of the action one of the many cuts made to accommodate the ad breaks in the Canadian broadcast (I'm in Nova Scotia at the moment).

I watched on BBC America, and I too noticed that they did not show how the Doctor and Robin Hood freed themselves from the stone. Perhaps it was originally taped, but cut the scene in final editing?

As for the writing, maybe it is just Mark Gatiss (he wrote this ep), as compared to Moffet?

:puzzled: Samfan
Samfan

Postby BookwormKate » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:51 pm

Samfan wrote:
Lynnedean wrote:...Was left a bit puzzled by something else last night. Would someone please tell me how Robin Hood and the Doctor freed themselves from being chained to the block of stone? If it was shown, I missed it, in which case, did I look away at the moment it happened, or was that bit of the action one of the many cuts made to accommodate the ad breaks in the Canadian broadcast (I'm in Nova Scotia at the moment).

I watched on BBC America, and I too noticed that they did not show how the Doctor and Robin Hood freed themselves from the stone. Perhaps it was originally taped, but cut the scene in final editing?

As for the writing, maybe it is just Mark Gatiss (he wrote this ep), as compared to Moffet?

:puzzled: Samfan

I agree with many of your comments, Lynne - Capaldi's Doctor seems a bit (dare I say it) useless so far. Clara has gotten him out of all the scrapes. I watched it on BBC and all they showed was the Doctor and Robin carrying the stone to which they were chained, and the Doctor mentioning a blacksmith as they climbed the stairs...

Not totally convinced yet, I must say. Matt Smith had me hooked after the first five minutes, so I suppose a tough act to follow. The next episode looks decidedly creepy!
BookwormKate

Postby Samfan » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:51 pm

I watched Listen last night, and then again early this morning when I couldn't get back to sleep. Once again, Clara seems to get The Doctor out of scraps. I did like the seeming connections between Danny/Rupert, Clara, and the future Orson Pink. And I did like Clara comforting a young future Time Lord.

I just can't put my finger on what I don't really like a about the new Doctor. He seems to go around babbling, and Clara seems to be the voice of reason. That's the closest I can come to expressing myself about this :noidea: :puzzled:

I'll keep watching, though. There's some good lines, some funny scenes, and I even like the spooky scenes.

Samfan
Samfan

Postby Lynnedean » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:33 pm

Okay, will now confess to a total turnaround with regard to my view of Peter Capaldi. Watched him on the Graham Norton Show last week and thought he was absolutely delightful. To my great surprise, he has completely won me over.

Best clips on YouTube ...

Also thought it fun that in the most recent episode, Kill the Moon, The Doctor twice warns other characters to mind their language. :lol:
Lynnedean

PreviousNext

Return to Watching, Reading, Listening, Creating