New Doctor Who

What you are watching, reading, listening to or creating when MK's not on the telly.

Re: New Doctor Who

Postby starlight » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:36 pm

Lynnedean wrote:Okay, will now confess to a total turnaround with regard to my view of Peter Capaldi. Watched him on the Graham Norton Show last week and thought he was absolutely delightful. To my great surprise, he has completely won me over.

What did you think was up with him then? Have to say I enjoyed him immensely in Getting On (UK version) - which he also directed :D
Do I need to remind you...how much you can trust me?
starlight

Postby BookwormKate » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:57 pm

Lynnedean wrote:Okay, will now confess to a total turnaround with regard to my view of Peter Capaldi. Watched him on the Graham Norton Show last week and thought he was absolutely delightful. To my great surprise, he has completely won me over.

Best clips on YouTube ...

Also thought it fun that in the most recent episode, Kill the Moon, The Doctor twice warns other characters to mind their language. :lol:

Yes, he was brilliant on GN - loved how embarrassed he got when Graham mentions "the letter"! And I also LOVED Clara's retort, "don't you tell me to mind my language". It was supposed to be a serious scene, but I couldn't help but laugh thinking of Capaldi's previous role. He is started to grow on me as well, though I still find him rather offhand. Poor Clara's got her hands full...
"You could do with a good chat then..."
BookwormKate

Postby amiga » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:26 pm

I don't watch Dr. Who, but found Peter Capaldi funny and charming on Graham Norton. Guess it's too late to catch up on the Doctor. I don't have enough years left to watch all the episodes. :lol:

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Postby Samfan » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:57 pm

amiga wrote:

I don't watch Dr. Who, but found Peter Capaldi funny and charming on Graham Norton. Guess it's too late to catch up on the Doctor. I don't have enough years left to watch all the episodes. :lol:

Amiga

Just start with the 'reboot' years on Netflix--Christopher Eccleston, David Tennant, and Matt Smith, and eventually, Peter Capaldi. You should be in good standing then, even if you didn't watch all the earlier eps.

Samfan :ugeek:
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Postby amiga » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:12 pm

Samfan wrote:
Just start with the 'reboot' years on Netflix--Christopher Eccleston, David Tennant, and Matt Smith, and eventually, Peter Capaldi. You should be in good standing then, even if you didn't watch all the earlier eps.

Samfan :ugeek:

Thanks. Was happy to see that it's streaming. I'll give it a try.

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Postby amiga » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:21 am

Just watched my first episode. Better very late than never :lol: What a hoot. Had no idea what to expect. I thought it was a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to watching more.

Thanks, Samfan, for recommending I start with the "reboot" years. :thankyou:

Amiga
amiga

Postby kitchentease » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:49 am

Just start with the 'reboot' years on Netflix--Christopher Eccleston, David Tennant, and Matt Smith, and eventually, Peter Capaldi. You should be in good standing then, even if you didn't watch all the earlier eps

What a great idea, Samfan :thankyou: I have never watched it, thinking you had to have grown up with it to enjoy it.
But, what does the brain matter....compared to the heart?
kitchentease

Postby Samfan » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:57 pm

Netflix also streams the earlier eps (from the 60's through the 80's).

Samfan
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Postby Samfan » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:56 am

Watching "Flatline." (I DVR''ed it). I found it rather humourus. The "little" TARDIS was very cute--even thoug it was meant to be a serious episode. Finally--the Doctor "MANNED UP" at the end--and became "THE DOCTOR".

Samfan
Samfan

Postby Samfan » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:32 am

OK. I now have to watch Doctor Who twice. I just don't get it with one watching....

Samfan
Samfan

Postby Lynnedean » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:14 pm

Okay, Peter Capaldi's first DW season is over. To my astonishment and delight, I loved it and Mr C's portrayal of the Doctor. The actor is very engaging, and he's managed to create a Doctor very different from the others. At 55, he's the age William Hartnell was when DW began back in the 1960s, and I think one of the reasons I've taken to him is that it feels good to have a fatherly Doctor back after such a long time - only forty something years - and he's grumpy, which is wonderful, although it does rather make me want to slosh him round the chops with a wet haddock sometimes.

The scripts are darker now and suit the older character. Mind you, there was far too much darkness introduced in the penultimate episode. The BBC received a lot of complaints about the subject, and I'm not surprised. It was stated that the dead remain sentient, and indicated in no uncertain terms what that would mean. Fiction or no, the idea horrified me, and I still shiver when I think about it; what it did to youngsters watching, I can't imagine! A somewhat dumb and thoughtless plotline, I think.

The last episode, though, was, to me, a total triumph. It was the character of Missy, the female incarnation of The Master, that did it. A wonderful scary mix of craziness, cunning and stone-cold ruthlessness. And what an absolute delight to have the character descend to earth dressed in period costume and clutching an umbrella. One reviewer described Missy perfectly as Hannibal Lecter in a Mary Poppins outfit. I know she was supposedly disposed of at the end of Death In Heaven, but this incarnation of The Master surely has to be resurrected; Missy is too good at being evil not to return. And if there's any justice, Michelle Gomez will be in the running for an acting award. She was terrific!

Looking forward now to the Christmas Special. :D
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby Samfan » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:26 pm

I just finished watching the finale, Death in Heaven. Still not sure how I feel about PC as the new Doctor. I'm used to the 'warm, fuzzy' Doctors of DT and MS. Maybe I need to go back and watch the 'classic' DW's (from the 60's-80's). Maybe then I'll be more used to a colder, grumpier Doctor. Still, looking forward to the Christmas special...

Samfan
Samfan

Postby Samfan » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:19 am

I think I'm going to have to watch DW from the beginning to understand the "Master/Missy" thing.

Something to look forward to during this long, cold winter. And wondering when the new season of FW will air.....

Samf
Samfan

Postby Samfan » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:24 pm

I'm a fan of Victorinox Swiss Army Knives. This new 2014 limited edition "Swiss Clockwork Classic SD" knife reminded me of DW. Now if it was Tardis blue instead of yellow, I might consider ordering it...

http://www.swissknifeshop.com/shop/swiss-army/victorinox/swiss-army-knives/swiss-army-limited-edition-classic-sds/swiss-army-swiss-clockwork-classic-sd-limited-edition

Samfan
Samfan

Postby Samfan » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:04 pm

Samfan wrote:Netflix also streams the earlier eps (from the 60's through the 80's).

Samfan

After looking more closely this past Sunday, I discoverd that Netflix does not stream all of the 'classic' Doctor Who eps from the 60's through 80's--just some (they seem to be one storyline from each season). Disappointing. I'm now looking for ways to watch all of the classic ones. I don't think one can buy all of them (but other people here might know better than I).

Samfan :geek:
Samfan

Postby Lynnedean » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:28 pm

Samfan wrote:After looking more closely this past Sunday, I discoverd that Netflix does not stream all of the 'classic' Doctor Who eps from the 60's through 80's--just some (they seem to be one storyline from each season). Disappointing. I'm now looking for ways to watch all of the classic ones. I don't think one can buy all of them (but other people here might know better than I).

There are so many eps, Samfan, that I can't imagine Netflix carrying them all. DVD sets are available, but they cost a pretty penny and then some, so it's to be hoped that Netflix will at least add more to their catalogue in time. Note that quite a number of the early eps are no longer in existence thanks to some bright spark back in the 70s chucking out a load of old recordings to make room for new stuff in the BBC archives, it not being thought that they'd ever be needed again. DW devotees are constantly searching for missing eps that may be lying around in the dusty cupboards of TV companies in other countries that showed them years ago, and some have been found (eg two series involving the Second Doctor were discovered a little while ago and are now available on DVD). Wikipedia gives a rundown of releases ... List of Doctor Who home video releases

Incidentally, it wasn't only DW recordings that were cleared out of the BBC archives. Many other BBC programmes were ditched, which is why we'll never have the chance to see the two early eps of a police series called Z Cars that a young Michael Kitchen was in. :-?
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby Samfan » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:21 pm

SPOILERS BELOW

Was it just me, or did Clara's death scene from last night's ep feel a bit like Amy Pond willingly sacrificing herself to the Weeping Angels (although, Clara willingly wasn't scrificing herself for anyone; she was just willingly dying and not afraid).

So, any speculation on a new companion? Rigsy? (Na, has a daughter and wife); Probably not Ashildr. One or both of the Osgoods, somehow?

Samfan
Last edited by Samfan on Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Samfan

Postby Lynnedean » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:39 pm

The series is getting way too dark; the storylines and the Doctor's enemies are now a far cry from the daft, fun things they used to be in the good ol' days. I couldn't believe what I was seeing last night. Since the episode was broadcast, Steven Moffatt has been defending it, but it stepped over the line as far as I'm concerned. What started out as a children's series certainly isn't for kids any more, or even for this long-in-the-tooth adult for that matter!

As to the companion (by the way, I think you mean Osgood, Samfan), I've been a bit fed up with the string of pretty, young females - provided for obvious reasons - and was happy to see the end, if not the way it came about, of the last one. I'd like a strapping, young male companion for a change ... and I'd prefer one as a replacement for Clara in the DW series, too!
Lynnedean

Postby Wolesley » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:10 am

Lynnedean wrote:I'd like a strapping, young male companion for a change ... and I'd prefer one as a replacement for Clara in the DW series, too!

:rofl: :thankyou: Wouldn't we all!
I have no idea when we'll get to see these episodes over here, but it does seem they're taking a rather dark turn. Is Capaldi still The Doctor?

Lesley
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Postby Samfan » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:16 am

Lynnedean wrote:... (by the way, I think you mean Osgood, Samfan)...

Thanks, Lynne! :wave:

Yes, they are darker. Some of the 'humor' seems forced (like when the Doctor, in one ep, had to read off of notecards to find the most appropriate thing to say in reaction to a death). I miss the ''old" monsters (Weeping Angels, Daleks, Cybermen).

Not so unusual (at least for me): I still feel the need to watch an ep more than once to completely 'get' it (and even then its not complete understanding). :lol:

Samfan
Samfan

PreviousNext

Return to Watching, Reading, Listening, Creating