Victoria

What you are watching, reading, listening to or creating when MK's not on the telly.

Victoria

Postby Sunshine » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:04 am

PBS began showing "Victoria" yesterday. I think I have a similar reaction to most I've read from the press - Jenna Coleman is excellent in the lead. Love seeing Rufus Sewell (whom I still recall as Aurelio Zen :cloud9: ). And I'm not yet convinced by the "Downstairs" story. The dressmaker and cook are no Anna and Bates. :waiting:
Just looked over the chapter on "Horse Racing and Illegal Rambling."

I haven't got the requisite capacity for deceit.
User avatar
Sunshine
 
Posts: 1337
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:34 am

Re: Victoria

Postby Lynette » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:36 am

I had the same reaction as to "The Crown" -- so many historical inaccuracies, I couldn't stop spluttering.
User avatar
Lynette
 
Posts: 198
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:04 am

Re: Victoria

Postby amiga » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:19 pm

Glad I don't know much about the history. Just really enjoyed both for purely entertainment sake. Rufus Sewell is gorgeous.

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
User avatar
amiga
 
Posts: 1603
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:48 am
Location: Florida, USA

Re: Victoria

Postby starlight » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:42 pm

amiga wrote:Glad I don't know much about the history. Just really enjoyed both for purely entertainment sake. Rufus Sewell is gorgeous.

Amiga

Ah! The next generation of curls. :rofl:
I enjoyed him too.
Do I need to remind you...how much you can trust me?
User avatar
starlight
 
Posts: 1040
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:41 am
Location: Oxford, UK

Re: Victoria

Postby amiga » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:32 pm

starlight wrote:
amiga wrote:Glad I don't know much about the history. Just really enjoyed both for purely entertainment sake. Rufus Sewell is gorgeous.

Amiga

Ah! The next generation of curls. :rofl:
I enjoyed him too.


Ah yes, the curls...and the chiseled face and the eyes, etc. etc.

Hurry back, MK!

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
User avatar
amiga
 
Posts: 1603
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:48 am
Location: Florida, USA

Re: Victoria

Postby Lynette » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:19 pm

My husband and I are quite familiar with Rufus Sewell as "Obergruppenführer John Smith" in the Amazon production The Man In The High Castle. It's alternative history -- the Nazis got the bomb first, nuked Washington, and won WWII; North America is divided between the "American Reich" in the east, the Japanese-controlled Pacific States in the west and a small neutral zone in between. Sewell plays the head US Nazi, a proud and patriotic American who is totally committed to the Reich and an unswerving puppet of Berlin. His performance is fantastic, but incredibly chilling.

Seeing him play the old roué Lord Melbourne was quite a switch. He's doing a good job, but seems too young to me to play Melbourne, who was 58 when Victoria came to the throne and decidedly in the "old man" category (a lifetime of dissipated living will age you, after all).

Rufus Sewell is 49 but could pass for 39 -- an attachment between him and 30-year-old Jenna Coleman isn't unthinkable. But the real-life Lord Melbourne was 40 years older than the 18-year-old Victoria, and I believe she looked up to him as a father-figure, nothing more. (She tended to complain when he nodded off after dinner; she wanted to "party", to use the modern parlance, while he wanted nothing more than to retire early.)

I was especially annoyed by the scene that showed Victoria and Melbourne waltzing. Victoria was taught that the waltz was a risqué dance, not completely improper but too intimate to be danced with anyone but a husband or fiancé. She was delighted when Albert came along and she could waltz to her heart's content, because she wouldn't allow herself to do so before that.
User avatar
Lynette
 
Posts: 198
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:04 am

Re: Victoria

Postby kitchentease » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:51 am

Sunshine wrote:
And I'm not yet convinced by the "Downstairs" story. The dressmaker and cook are no Anna and Bates.

Agreed, it seems as though the producers felt they needed a "Downstairs" element to attract Downton Abbey fans. I'll be interested to see if it develops into something meaningful. So far, the series is great entertainment and what's not to like in Jenna Coleman and Rufus Sewell?
But, what does the brain matter....compared to the heart?
User avatar
kitchentease
 
Posts: 556
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:42 am
Location: British Columbia, Canada

Re: Victoria

Postby amiga » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:26 pm

Lynette wrote:My husband and I are quite familiar with Rufus Sewell as "Obergruppenführer John Smith" in the Amazon production The Man In The High Castle. It's alternative history -- the Nazis got the bomb first, nuked Washington, and won WWII; North America is divided between the "American Reich" in the east, the Japanese-controlled Pacific States in the west and a small neutral zone in between. Sewell plays the head US Nazi, a proud and patriotic American who is totally committed to the Reich and an unswerving puppet of Berlin. His performance is fantastic, but incredibly chilling.


Just finished Ep. 4 of S-2. Sewell is really good, as well the top Japanese characters. The whole concept of this series is chilling. The outcome will be interesting.

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
User avatar
amiga
 
Posts: 1603
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:48 am
Location: Florida, USA

Re: Victoria

Postby hazeleyes57 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:37 pm

Stepping sideways just slightly... If you like Rufus Sewell and have no problem with him being utterly dastardly you will enjoy him in 'A Knight's Tale'. It is ostensibly a medieval tale of jousting with Heath Ledger, Mark Addy and Paul Bettany, but with a soundtrack by Queen and a terrific set of anachronisms, it is funny and clever.
User avatar
hazeleyes57
 
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:30 am
Location: Colchester, England, home of the Iceni, Boudicca and jolly nice cake shops

Re: Victoria

Postby amiga » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:42 pm

Can't be much worse than a Nazi that he plays in Man In High Castle. I'll check it out. Really do like him.
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
User avatar
amiga
 
Posts: 1603
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:48 am
Location: Florida, USA

Re: Victoria

Postby kitchentease » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:46 pm

hazeleyes57 wrote: If you like Rufus Sewell and have no problem with him being utterly dastardly you will enjoy him in 'A Knight's Tale.' ... it is funny and clever.

Thanks for the reminder, hazeleyes57, definitely worth watching again. :thumbsup:
But, what does the brain matter....compared to the heart?
User avatar
kitchentease
 
Posts: 556
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:42 am
Location: British Columbia, Canada

Re: Victoria

Postby Englishfan » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:15 pm

Guess I'll get on board with these shows. I miss Mr. Kitchen's performances, so maybe I can find a temporary substitute in these stars.

Englishfan
User avatar
Englishfan
 
Posts: 578
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:15 am

Re: Victoria

Postby amiga » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:52 pm

Rufus Sewell on Lord M...

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/pod ... stersocial

I do like his voice. :smile:

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
User avatar
amiga
 
Posts: 1603
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:48 am
Location: Florida, USA

Re: Victoria

Postby Lynette » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:46 am

It's becoming frustratingly clear that the screenwriters didn't bother much with history books.
User avatar
Lynette
 
Posts: 198
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:04 am

Re: Victoria

Postby Wolesley » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:29 pm

As Mark Twain said, "Never let the truth get in the way of a good story."
(Unless you're running a country or something...)

Let's hope they don't have Albert living to a ripe old age! :whistling:

Lesley
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
User avatar
Wolesley
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:48 am
Location: British Columbia, Canada

Re: Victoria

Postby marigold » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:29 pm

Wolesley wrote:As Mark Twain said, "Never let the truth get in the way of a good story."
(Unless you're running a country or something...)

Let's hope they don't have Albert living to a ripe old age! :whistling:

Lesley


They already have a too-adorable-for-words Queen who bats her eyelashes. :lol:
marigold
 
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:01 pm


Return to Watching, Reading, Listening, Creating

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests