The Crown on Netflix

What you are watching, reading, listening to or creating when MK's not on the telly.

The Crown on Netflix

Postby Wolesley » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:09 am

Quite enjoying this Netflix original series!

Very funny to see Joseph Kloska, Perkins in The Hide, as the Queen's horse breeder, given his ignorance and fear of horses in the previous role. :rofl:
Plenty of other FW alumni in the series, too!

Lesley
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Re: The Crown on Netflix

Postby marigold » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:32 pm

I'm enjoying also. Claire Foy gives a very good performance as do many others. Like the pacing which is slow enough to let what's happening sink in. Good job all around. Of course had MK been in it... never mind. :noidea:
marigold

Postby amiga » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:20 am

Loving it. Think John Lithgow does a good job as Churchill, as well as Claire Foy. Looking forward to watching the rest of it.

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Postby Wolesley » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:53 am

Yes Amiga, I think John Lithgow is remarkably good as Churchill! I never would have thought he'd be a likely choice for the role, but he's excellent!
Love the scene where Liz has to give him a proper dressing down for hiding the seriousness of his illness.

Lesley
(thank goodness I had this to watch to take my mind off 'other matters' Tuesday evening) Ahem.
Wolesley

Postby mslevin » Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:32 pm

I'm enjoying the series too. In episode 6 is another Foyle alum Paul Thornley as a newspaper writer who outed Margaret and her significant other. He was in the Foyle's War episode where the community celebration is being planned for VEday. He is the returning husband (who never wrote home!) of the woman who is the secretary to the hotel owner planning the festivities. And has his child.
mslevin

Postby Wolesley » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:52 pm

Paul Thornley also played young PC Blake in Alibi in 2003. He was kind of adorable in that role. :lol:

Lesley
Wolesley

Postby Wolesley » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:07 pm

I've watched all ten episodes of Series 1. It ended on something of a cliffhanger, with so many difficulties for Elizabeth! Apparently there are six series planned! Cannot imagine that this has any endorsement from the Palace. However it is a very high quality production with excellent performances.
So, what historical role could Mr. Kitchen potentially play in coming episodes, I wonder. A Prime Minister? An advisor? A newspaper editor? (A sympathetic, intelligent and kindly figure would be my preference. Just saying. :foyle5: )

Lesley
Wolesley

Postby amiga » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:59 pm

Not a big part, but I thought of him as Lord Porchester. It would fit....horseman and doesn't get the woman he loves...which seems to be an MK pattern :lol:

MK needs a new agent. Lots of good things out there that he is not in.

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Postby Wolesley » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:55 am

Ooh! Perhaps he could play the part post-1969, when Porchy becomes her Racing Manager. Though he does marry and have three children, so that's not too tortured an existence.

Lesley
Wolesley

Postby starlight » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:54 am

Anthony Horowitz points out the huge budgets that go into these productions, and how they dwarf the resources available from UK channels:

http://www.spectator.co.uk/2016/12/why- ... n-the-bbc/
Do I need to remind you...how much you can trust me?
starlight

Postby Wolesley » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:24 am

The points he makes are all very good, but what is the solution? As he says, tv executives must be braver and give the green light to edgier, more daring stories, but they also have to find the money to pay for the best writers and actors.
The Netflix business model is quite different from the traditional tv funding model.
TV broadcasters will have to find a new way to get advertisers/sponsors to fund bigger and better productions, and perhaps eliminate the practice of continually interrupting a program for adverts. Perhaps television advertising will have to evolve along with television programming.

Lesley
Wolesley

Postby Sunshine » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:28 pm

Netflix seems to be taking over what HBO did a few years ago.

As long as commercial TV can make profits or keep costs down having a combination of formula shows and just plain junk, they have no incentive to do anything else. :-?
Just looked over the chapter on "Horse Racing and Illegal Rambling."

I haven't got the requisite capacity for deceit.
Sunshine

Postby NikkiB » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:17 pm

I greatly enjoyed watching The Crown but am always wary of getting my "facts" from television dramas! I love the way Claire Foy has mastered the Queen's accent and I thought the details of how, for instance, King George's surgery was performed by the doctors right in Buckingham Palace. I have no way to check whether this is true but it made for intriguing TV!

Found AH article interesting as well as the comments (some snarly as per usual) but he fails to mention that we have been recipients of fine quality programming from BBC in the past. But perhaps they have not caught up, the main thrust of the article. We cut our cable cord recently and are enjoying shows like The Man In The High Castle, a French show called The Returned, Outlander, Poldark, The Durrells of Corfu - & most things with a British accent! Started watching
Happy Valley but decided it was too stark and I like period pieces most of all. Hail Britannia!

NikkiB
NikkiB

Postby Lynette » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:56 am

Several people have encouraged me to try The Crown, so tonight I took a deep breath and gave it a whirl.

Can I just say ... wow. Once again, screenwriters who never read a history book (or a biography).

The mistakes and inaccuracies were legion, starting with one in the first three minutes. King George VI is creating Philip Duke of Edinburgh, and he pronounces it "Edinburg", not "Edinburo". Holy crap, does nobody on this production know how to pronounce the name of Scotland's capital??? :eek: :eek: :eek: This was NOT a good beginning!

In the first hour: we see Elizabeth and Philip taking young Charles and Anne with them to Malta when he was on Naval duties (they were left at home with their grandparents and the nannies); Philip arranging the decoration of Clarence House as a family home in late 1951 (when in reality they moved in in early 1949, shortly after Charles' birth), and Elizabeth cringing at the thought of carrying out a Royal tour on her father's behalf at Christmas 1951, when in reality she and Philip had already done a major tour of Canada and the US by that date. Oh, and nobody knowing about the King's cancer diagnosis, when in fact the Queen, the Princess and her husband were all told months before his death.

Not sure I can face Part Two.
Lynette

Postby Wolesley » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:49 pm

I've just had another listen to the first three minutes, and I hear the King pronounce it 'Edinbrah,' which is the upper class English sound of 'burrah,' so not a mistake. However, apparently that whole scene is wrong, according to an expert (sorry, forget where I saw the review. I'll try to find it.*) - when a Duke is created there is no kneeling before the Monarch; it's all done by written notice.
Certainly there are a great deal of historical inaccuracies, though not totally egregious ones. (Sort of like Horowitz's 1950s-era bus.) After all, it is a dramatization and not a documentary. I feel they've presented the sense and spirit of Elizabeth's challenges at that stage of her life very well.

I found it very interesting that we hardly hear Elizabeth speak at all in the first part - which gives the distinct impression that everything is going to happen to her whether she likes it or not - that she has very little "say" in matters. It's her destiny and she can't do anything about it except try to do it right.

Lesley

*ETA: Here's the CBC news item on the series, with 'expert' criticism:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ol5cjUL8M ... MTEyMjAxNg
Wolesley

Return to Watching, Reading, Listening, Creating