FW alumni in 'Florence Foster Jenkins'

What you are watching, reading, listening to or creating when MK's not on the telly.

FW alumni in 'Florence Foster Jenkins'

Postby Wolesley » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:19 am

Caught this film at the theatre last night, and quite enjoyed it. Based on a true story and a real person. Stars Meryl Streep, and Hugh Grant in a very touching role as her husband.
Simon Helberg (from tv series The Big Bang Theory) as her pianist Cosmé McMoon is adorable.

Maggie Steed (Mrs. Ellis in The White Feather) has a small role, and Allan Corduner (Carlo in A Lesson in Murder) plays the manager of Carnegie Hall. He has a nice face to face argument with Meryl, but other than that he doesn't have a lot of screen time, sadly.
Stanley Townsend (Spanish guy in Casualties of War) is in it, too.

Very good article on the film here: http://www.indiewire.com/2016/08/meryl- ... 201715740/
The sets and costumes are excellent, and so is the cinematography in creating a wonderfully real 1940s New York City.

Lesley
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Re: FW alumni in 'Florence Foster Jenkins'

Postby starlight » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:19 pm

Wonderful film. Enjoyed every second. And the big surprise was Hugh Grant, who gave the most nuanced performance of his career. He deserves a nomination for best supporting actor. :smile:
Do I need to remind you...how much you can trust me?
starlight

Postby Florrie » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:12 pm

I have this on my must watch list!
Florrie

Postby amiga » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:55 pm

starlight wrote:Wonderful film. Enjoyed every second. And the big surprise was Hugh Grant, who gave the most nuanced performance of his career. He deserves a nomination for best supporting actor. :smile:

Enjoyed this film thoroughly. Agree, Starlight, about Hugh Grant. He was great.

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Return to Watching, Reading, Listening, Creating