Home Fires?

What you are watching, reading, listening to or creating when MK's not on the telly.

Home Fires?

Postby annebronterocks » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:19 am

Just saw a lineup of the upcoming PBS Masterpiece dramas. Among them was something set in Britain during WWII called "Home Fires." Unusually, the show has no Wikipedia entry. :noidea:

Have any of you UK members seen it? Non-spoiler information and opinions?
annebronterocks

Re: Home Fires?

Postby kitchenwonder » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:27 am

Just read about this last night elsewhere on QE.

Check out the topic Guest Villains and Guest Stars / Frances Grey - All Clear/Home Fires.

(There is probably some way to make this a link, but I don't know how :noidea: ... being technologically-challenged as I am!)
"Well...The Foyles, you know, always have been hard to resist." (Enemy Fire S3E2)
"If Michael Kitchen played a corpse, you would still watch him more than anyone else." (Jaci Stephen, The Mail, November 3, 2002)
kitchenwonder

Postby amiga » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:10 am

I'm watching Home Fires and really like it. Women trying to do their part at the start of the war. Definitely worth watching. You will see Francesca Anis playing a very different role than she did as Richard's wife in Reckless.

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Postby Wolesley » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:41 am

Oh, wait - Home Fires is the title of the series based on the book Jambusters?

Now I get it. D'oh!

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1140#p13898

Lesley
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Postby annebronterocks » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:01 pm

Thanks everyone -- very helpful info! :thumbsup:
annebronterocks

Postby kitchenwonder » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:44 am

Finally! Home Fires will be shown on my PBS channel, KCTS 9 (Seattle) on Sunday night (October 4). Anyone else out there watching? :rose:
"Well...The Foyles, you know, always have been hard to resist." (Enemy Fire S3E2)
"If Michael Kitchen played a corpse, you would still watch him more than anyone else." (Jaci Stephen, The Mail, November 3, 2002)
kitchenwonder

Postby amiga » Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:46 pm

kitchenwonder wrote:Finally! Home Fires will be shown on my PBS channel, KCTS 9 (Seattle) on Sunday night (October 4). Anyone else out there watching? :rose:

I watched when it aired in the UK and will watch it again on Sun. I really liked it.

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Postby Wolesley » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:42 pm

I'll be watching tonight! :biggrin:

Lesley
Wolesley

Postby NikkiB » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:34 pm

amiga wrote:I watched when it aired in the UK and will watch it again on Sun. I really liked it.

Amiga

Amiga, gotta ask if you were in the UK when you watched it.
Plan to watch tonight. Or at least record it. Sounds good.
NikkiB

Postby amiga » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:44 pm

NikkiB wrote:
amiga wrote:I watched when it aired in the UK and will watch it again on Sun. I really liked it.

Amiga

Amiga, gotta ask if you were in the UK when you watched it.
Plan to watch tonight. Or at least record it. Sounds good.

No, I only wish. I'll send you a PM.

Amiga
amiga

Postby Rhonllor » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:59 am

Just watched the first episode and I thought it was really good. Francesca Annis' character is such a glorious snob! I love the story too. I'm not familiar with the book it's based on. I'll have to read it now.
Rhonda
Rhonllor

Postby Wolesley » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:32 am

Quite enjoyable with lots of character threads to be woven through the episodes. Samantha Bond is delightful, and so is her hubby. FA delightful in her portrayal of snobbery. I do hope the abusive 'writer' husband gets a more powerful dose of food poisoning soon. Looking forward to the next episode!

Lesley
Wolesley

Postby kitchenwonder » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:54 am

I enjoyed the first episode, and will definitely be watching next week. I liked the characterization of different backgrounds/situations for the women...all coming together for the WI.

I was inspired to order the book. It's coming from the UK, and won't arrive for at least a month. :rose:
kitchenwonder

Postby Lynette » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:29 pm

I had to drive my daughter back to university so I missed it, but hubby recorded it. Hope to watch tonight.
Lynette

Postby kitchenwonder » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:41 am

kitchenwonder wrote:I was inspired to order the book. It's coming from the UK, and won't arrive for at least a month. :rose:

Hooray, the book arrived today! Very fast service from "wordery". :thumbsup:

Wolesley wrote: I do hope the abusive 'writer' husband gets a more powerful dose of food poisoning soon.

I'm enjoying the development of the characters...each is so distinct that it is easy to follow the different storylines. And I definitely agree with Wolesley about the abusive husband! :whistling:
kitchenwonder

Postby kitchentease » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:47 pm

Agreed on all counts - and the casting couldn't be better. Samantha Bond and Francesca Annis are fabulous. What really has me hooked though is the music from the soundtrack by Samuel Sim https://soundcloud.com/samuel77/home-fires-main-theme and https://soundcloud.com/samuel77/home-fires-blackberry.
But, what does the brain matter....compared to the heart?
kitchentease

Postby Lynette » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:58 pm

Seen three episodes now and am thoroughly engaged.

One Foyle's War connection that I don't think anyone else has mentioned: the actor who played Rex in Among the Few, Mark Umbers, is in this too, again playing an RAF pilot (or pilot-in-training, I think, at this early point in the war). Anyway, he looks a decade older than he did in FW, unsurprisingly, but still handsome and dashing.

I had to laugh at Kitchentease's remark about the soundtrack: when my husband and I watched the first episode, he shot me a sidelong glance and remarked that the theme music sounded very much like the theme to Coraline, a super-creepy movie that I loathed.
Lynette

Postby kitchentease » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:35 pm

I had to laugh at Kitchentease's remark about the soundtrack: when my husband and I watched the first episode, he shot me a sidelong glance and remarked that the theme music sounded very much like the theme to Coraline, a super-creepy movie that I loathed.

And there I was thinking the theme is very similar to Mad World from the soundtrack to Donnie Darko, which I loved. :rofl:
But, what does the brain matter....compared to the heart?
kitchentease

Postby annebronterocks » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:42 am

On the subject of alumnae of FW who are swelling the cast of "Home Fires," I'm sure everyone recognized Frances Grey (Janice Hylton). After 10+ years and a moustache I didn't recognize Mark Bazeley (Martin Longmate) as Pat's abusive husband. He's doing a great job in plumbing new levels of vomit-inducing evil, however. :sad:
annebronterocks

Postby NikkiB » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:45 pm

Up to date (ep. 4 thus far) on this show and really enjoying it. However, at any moment, I expect a 1940 or so Wolesley motor car driven by a young blonde female drive into the village, with a very handsome, hatted gentleman exiting the car and approaching a member of the town and saying "My name's Foyle. I'm a police officer. I'm investigating a murder here."
Now. Would that not be cool. A little overlap. :wink: :wink: :wink:
NikkiB

Next

Return to Watching, Reading, Listening, Creating