Longmire

What you are watching, reading, listening to or creating when MK's not on the telly.

Longmire

Postby hazeleyes57 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:31 pm

Anyone here watching/watched/reading 'Longmire'?

It's a crime drama TV series set in the present day, based on the books by Craig Johnson, and is about Walt Longmire, the Sheriff of Absaroka County, Wyoming.

He's a fifty-something widower with a grown up child who doesn't say much but sees much more and thinks before he speaks, doesn't jump the gun or assume that the obvious are guilty. He has a feisty female sidekick (a deputy) called Vic (short for Victoria) who assists -

Hang on, this is beginning to sound a little familiar... :rofl:

I've read all the books and watched two seasons (on DVD 'cos I couldn't wait!!), and I highly recommend it.
hazeleyes57

Location: Colchester, England, home of the Iceni, Boudicca and jolly nice cake shops

Re: Longmire

Postby dogstar » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:56 pm

Count me as a watcher. I am now enjoying season three. Decent mysteries and interesting characters. Henry Standing Bear, owner of the local bar (and L's loyal friend) definitely contributes to the modern western feel of the show.
Dogstar

"However, I'm richer and you're happier, and I think I know what's best."
dogstar

Postby foylefan » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:39 am

This sounds good! Thanks for recommending :thankyou:
foylefan

Postby Samfan » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:15 am

hazeleyes57 wrote:Anyone here watching/watched/reading 'Longmire'?

It's a crime drama TV series set in the present day, based on the books by Craig Johnson, and is about Walt Longmire, the Sheriff of Absaroka County, Wyoming.

He's a fifty-something widower with a grown up child who doesn't say much but sees much more and thinks before he speaks, doesn't jump the gun or assume that the obvious are guilty. He has a feisty female sidekick (a deputy) called Vic (short for Victoria) who assists -

Hang on, this is beginning to sound a little familiar... :rofl:

I've read all the books and watched two seasons (on DVD 'cos I couldn't wait!!), and I highly recommend it.

Ohh, a US Western style of Foyle and Sam--I'll have to look into it!! Thanks!

Samfan
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Postby hazeleyes57 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:06 pm

dogstar wrote: I am now enjoying season three.

Jealous whimpering...

We haven't even seen season two on this side of the pond (hence the DVD!!), so I'm very keen to see what happens next! :obsessed:
hazeleyes57

Location: Colchester, England, home of the Iceni, Boudicca and jolly nice cake shops

Postby Samfan » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:56 pm

I just watched the first 2 eps of season 1-streaming on Netflix. I really like it so far. Moves along faster than "Mad Men." :lol:

Samfan
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Postby BookwormKate » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:20 pm

Thanks for this recommendation, hazeleyes. Sounds good!
"You could do with a good chat then..."
BookwormKate

Postby Samfan » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:15 am

Unfortunately, Longmire has been cancelled by the A&E channel. Hopefully it will be picked up by another network.

:| Samfan
Samfan

Postby cmee57 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:17 am

I'm so steamed that A&E cancelled Longmire. It was the one quality show in the sea of all the crap they broadcast. Sure hope the show is picked up by another network! :-x :foyle4:

For those of you who haven't seen it yet, it's available in the States on Netflix. That's the way I discovered it since I don't use cable or satellite services. :pleased:
"Special! And it's my word, anyway. I'm perfectly entitled to use it, so do bugger off. I'm sticking with it! Thank you!" - Alibi
cmee57

Postby hazeleyes57 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:40 pm

I have everything crossed that Longmire is picked up by another (more deserving!!) network, and not only because season 3 ended on a *x7 cliff-hanger. I just hope they can do it quickly enough to keep all the existing cast from going on to other jobs.
All the comments left at various sites noting the cancellation say pretty much the same thing - WHY??????

The answer, as usual, seems to boil down to the network being greedy and wanting to keep more of the profits from the work - they did the same with The Glades, too.
hazeleyes57

Postby hazeleyes57 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:32 pm

It has been confirmed that a ten episode season 4 has been commissioned. Katee Sackhoff and Craig Johnson have both put the info on their blogs. Netflix has taken up the Longmire option.

A&E who cancelled the show (despite its loyal six million viewing figure) has lost nearly 36% of its viewers since the cancellation was announced, and the exec who chopped the show has been axed himself. I think I'll have a bit of Schadenfreude with my mug of tea, thankyewverymuch! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
hazeleyes57

Postby starlight » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:35 pm

Well, never watched an episode yet. But that hasn't stopped me devouring the excellent fanfic.
Do I need to remind you...how much you can trust me?
starlight

Postby Samfan » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:07 pm

hazeleyes57 wrote:It has been confirmed that a ten episode season 4 has been commissioned. Katee Sackhoff and Craig Johnson have both put the info on their blogs. Netflix has taken up the Longmire option....

Yea!!

Samfan
Samfan

Postby BookwormKate » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:06 pm

hazeleyes57 wrote:It has been confirmed that a ten episode season 4 has been commissioned. Katee Sackhoff and Craig Johnson have both put the info on their blogs. Netflix has taken up the Longmire option.

A&E who cancelled the show (despite its loyal six million viewing figure) has lost nearly 36% of its viewers since the cancellation was announced, and the exec who chopped the show has been axed himself. I think I'll have a bit of Schadenfreude with my mug of tea, thankyewverymuch! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I was glad to see this too! Thank goodness for an adamant fanbase! The exec being axed reminds me of another television channel exec who cancelled a very popular show...causing its viewers to miss out on seaside murders for the entirety of 1943... :eyeroll:
BookwormKate

Postby cmee57 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:47 pm

So delighted that Netflix has picked up season 4 of this wonderful show! :D

Shows about strong, silent widower lawmen certainly have an appeal. :obsessed:
"Special! And it's my word, anyway. I'm perfectly entitled to use it, so do bugger off. I'm sticking with it! Thank you!" - Alibi
cmee57

Postby Samfan » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:44 pm

I spent Sunday binge-watching the first 5 eps of the new season of Longmire on Netflix (it is now shown only on Netflix, since it was cancelled by A&E). I am happy to see that they have some 'stand-alone' (at least mostly) episodes, without the prominent plot of the Nighthorse-Branch-Barlow-David Ridges-etc. thing. I was getting a bit sick of it--it just got a bit too 'weird' for me at the end of last season.

Samfan
Last edited by Samfan on Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Samfan

Postby cmee57 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:50 pm

Love Longmire- the TV show and the books! So glad Netflix picked up the show. :biggrin:
cmee57

Postby BookwormKate » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:08 pm

I caught up with series 4 quite quickly too. I thought they were very good, and I, too, liked the more stand alone episode aspect. Thank goodness for Netflix picking it up after A&E cancelled the show. There were some lovely, well framed shots throughout the series, I thought. It was beautiful as well as interesting. Now I only hope they will make another series!
BookwormKate

Postby cmee57 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:30 am

It was just announced that there will be a season 5 of Longmire thanks to Netflix! :D
cmee57

Postby Samfan » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:35 am

cmee57 wrote:It was just announced that there will be a season 5 of Longmire thanks to Netflix! :D

Season 5 starts September 23 on Netflix! Netflix UK does not seem to have Longmire :sad:

Samfan
Samfan

Next

Return to Watching, Reading, Listening, Creating