Little Women

What you are watching, reading, listening to or creating when MK's not on the telly.

Little Women

Postby Sunshine » Mon May 14, 2018 3:46 pm

Little Women is my all-time favorite book, so I usually have mixed feelings when it's adapted to film or television.

So is the case with the new Masterpiece version, which seems to provide a mash-up of some of the best early moments in the book. Shortchanged so far: Meg's character evolution and the relationship between Jo and Beth, which is one of the strongest in the book. Also shortchanged: The softening of Mr. Lawrence as Beth comes over to play the piano. And the changing of circumstances (Starting with the time of year) in which Marmee leaves to attend to an ailing Mr. March....

I'm afraid PBS' "Little Women" has been "Downton"ed. :-?
Just looked over the chapter on "Horse Racing and Illegal Rambling."

I haven't got the requisite capacity for deceit.
Sunshine

Re: Little Women

Postby amiga » Thu May 17, 2018 8:43 pm

I thought it was kind of boring. I'll give it one more episode.

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Postby Wolesley » Sun May 20, 2018 8:38 pm

I quite enjoyed it and will continue watching. But it does feel like the 'Cole's Notes' version. If anything, it will spur me to finally read the book, which I never got through as a girl. I will always be willing to watch any project that Heidi Thomas is involved with!

Lesley
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Postby Wolesley » Mon May 21, 2018 4:37 pm

Well they wrapped that up rather abruptly! I guess they didn’t have the budget for a longer series, which is too bad. All the production values were excellent, the actors were wonderful, costumes and sets lovely, but the story deserved a longer, fuller treatment.

Lesley
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Return to Watching, Reading, Listening, Creating