Home Fires?

What you are watching, reading, listening to or creating when MK's not on the telly.

Re: Home Fires?

Postby marigold » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:10 pm

I like--am not swept away -- by series but the introduction of the young woman driver and a man in a very large overcoat would, indeed, make me sit up and pay more attention. :waiting:
marigold

Postby Lynette » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:18 am

Nikkib wrote:
However, at any moment, I expect a 1940 or so Wolesley motor car driven by a young blonde female drive into the village, with a very handsome, hatted gentleman exiting the car and approaching a member of the town and saying "My name's Foyle. I'm a police officer. I'm investigating a murder here."

That would be a geographic anachronism indeed, as this story is set in Cheshire!

And in the early seasons Honeysuckle Weeks was a redhead, not a blonde ... she got much blonder in the postwar seasons. And if she DID by chance drive him all the way to Cheshire, he would no doubt be chewing his lip in frustration at having to listen to her chatter for hours in the car. She tried his patience a good bit in the first season, remember.

Actually, I'd be fine with a murder in Home Fires as long as it was Martin Longmate's character. He's loathsome!
Lynette

Postby NikkiB » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:09 pm

A few things:
1) maybe they didnt make any motor cars in 1940.
2) Yes I know it isnt Hastings.
3) i had to look up GEOGRAPHIC ANACHRONISM.
4) I wasnt concerned with accuracy. Just wanted Foyle to show up. With whatever color hair Sam has at the time.
So clever you guys. :lol: :lol:
NikkiB

Postby Samfan » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:34 pm

My mother and I have watched this first series of Home Fires, and we've enjoyed it. Sad that it has ended for now, but looking forward to next season. I liked seeing the various FW alumni. Particularly anxious to see what happens with Alison and Pat.

Samfan
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Postby Samfan » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:12 am

A little bit about the WI:
http://standardissuemagazine.com/lifestyle/why-i-love-the-wi/
It's celebrating its 100th birthday this year.

Samfan
"It's got so much chalk in it I'm not sure if we should eat it or write with it."
"What are you going to do for the rest of your life, fish? There's bigger fish to be caught here."
Samfan

Postby amiga » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:27 pm

Anyone watching Series 2? Such a good series. Think of poor Richard every time I see Francesca Anis. :smile:

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Postby kitchentease » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:40 am

I'm enjoying it immensely so far. Although it touches on some familiar themes from FW, it's quite different and very well written.
But, what does the brain matter....compared to the heart?
kitchentease

Postby kitchenwonder » Fri May 20, 2016 9:14 am

"Reflecting on ITV’s axing of Home Fires, creator Simon Block says he’s baffled by the decision, but also “blown away” by fan reaction to the wartime drama’s shock demise..."

But it may be coming back for Series 3 after all! :thumbsup:
http://renewcanceltv.com/home-fires-sea ... confirmed/

More extensive information: http://www.willowandthatch.com/save-itv ... -season-3/

Certainly makes one wonder what kind of drugs the ITV commissioning team is taking? :puzzled:
"Well...The Foyles, you know, always have been hard to resist." (Enemy Fire S3E2)
"If Michael Kitchen played a corpse, you would still watch him more than anyone else." (Jaci Stephen, The Mail, November 3, 2002)
kitchenwonder

Postby jewell » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:22 am

NikkiB wrote:I expect a 1940 or so Wolesley motor car

Well NikkiB, at least the car made an appearance. I think. :wolseley:

I noticed that the car in which Peter Barden (Anthony Calf) drives off in series 2, right before he has the accident, has the same license plate as Foyle's Wolseley, KVX 757. I'm not an expert on cars of this era - they all just look big and black to me - but perhaps someone can tell if it's the same car.

It was certainly cool to spot the license plate. I yelled out loud, waking the SO, I believe.

Julie

P.S. Having computer probs so I may not be able to monitor this thread frequently.
"When they ask why, I'll go: well, it's the least, no, honestly, it's the very bloody least I could do!

"And not just decked him. No! Fried the devious, dirty bastard to a crisp in the luxury of his over-waxed car!"
jewell

Postby starlight » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:05 am

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_86369-Wols ... -1938.html

If you've got a screen shot, you could ask the above forum. Reading the thread, it sounds as if that numberplate has done the rounds on different cars :noidea:
Do I need to remind you...how much you can trust me?
starlight

Postby jewell » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:28 pm

Aw! Color me disappointed! I thought it would be the famous Wolsey.

Still, it was fun seeing and speculating.

I can't get a screen shot from the version I have.

J
"When they ask why, I'll go: well, it's the least, no, honestly, it's the very bloody least I could do!

"And not just decked him. No! Fried the devious, dirty bastard to a crisp in the luxury of his over-waxed car!"
jewell

Previous

Return to Watching, Reading, Listening, Creating