'Their Finest' new WWII home front film

What you are watching, reading, listening to or creating when MK's not on the telly.

'Their Finest' new WWII home front film

Postby Wolesley » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:24 pm

This looks good, with a load of favourite stars! Can you spot Brookie in the trailer?!

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/06/movi ... ebook&_r=0

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1661275/vid ... 1920972313

Actually, each time I watch these I spot another FW alumnus/alumna! :foyle1:
Henry Goodman
Amanda Root
Jay Simpson
Jonathan Coy

Even Ellie Haddington is in it, though not in the trailer.
Any I've missed?
(Makes me wonder if MK had put his name in but didn't get a part. :foyle3: Though perhaps not - perhaps he wouldn't want to do another Wartime role. Or perhaps he just wants roles where he can say the 'F' word to great effect. :rofl: )

Lesley
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Re: 'Their Finest' new WWII home front film

Postby ayresorchids » Mon May 08, 2017 6:23 pm

I saw this yesterday and absolutely loved it! It is quite a blend of comedy and drama, and had me in tears by the end. And it was such fun to spot all the FW alumni Lesley mentions (plus some other familiar faces). Must say, though--blink and you'll miss Ellie Haddington! It's as if she dropped in to do the producers a quick favor! :foyle1:
...And I do hope that you find somebody who deserves you.
ayresorchids

Postby Rhonllor » Tue May 09, 2017 2:15 am

I saw this last weekend and agree with everything ayersorchid said. I was definitely in tears by the end. Really loved it. Ellie Haddington does just zip in and out in one scene. I had to wonder if there had been more that didn't make the final cut. Loved seeing Amanda Root and Brookie!
Rhonllor

Postby starlight » Wed May 10, 2017 7:52 am

Off to see this today. A treat in store :bouncy:
Do I need to remind you...how much you can trust me?
starlight

Postby starlight » Wed May 10, 2017 6:10 pm

Rhonllor wrote:Ellie Haddington does just zip in and out in one scene. I had to wonder if there had been more that didn't make the final cut. Loved seeing Amanda Root and Brookie!

Yes, Brookie certainly had a better innings than the other two. I think you're right that Ellie Haddington's other scenes ended up on the cutting room floor

Henry Goodman had by far the most screen time out of all the Foyle alumni, and he was great value in Hungarian mode.

Somehow, Gemma Arterton's romance with Sam Claflin didn't grab me. My favourite scenes were between Bill Nighy's benignly narcissistic almost-has-been star, and Helen McCrory as his agent's sister.

Rachael Stirling's (Diana Rigg's daughter) feisty Ministry feminist was the other standout for me.
Do I need to remind you...how much you can trust me?
starlight

Postby marigold » Sun May 14, 2017 1:12 pm

Agree entirely. Even though I was primed for Ellie Haddington I missed her. Thought it was a lovely film and the ending (no spoilers :obsessed: ) a good idea removing some of the sentimentality. Loved the FW-type costumes throughout.
marigold

Postby kitchentease » Tue May 16, 2017 9:03 pm

Definitely worth seeing but, other than Bill Nighy's parting speech, it left me unsatisfied. Starlight hit the nail on the head, the romance didn't come off. Will I ever find a substitute for Foyle's War, I wonder?
But, what does the brain matter....compared to the heart?
kitchentease

Return to Watching, Reading, Listening, Creating