Anton Lesser

Anton Lesser

Postby Lynnedean » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:34 am

Available on the BBC iPlayer until 7pm Friday 19 July - Anton Lesser giving an absolutely perfect reading of The Ebony Frame, a short (13 minutes) ghost story by E Nesbit, who also wrote The Railway Children. Synopsis: A man inherits a property where he discovers a portrait of a woman that will change his life forever.

I have to agree with the radio announcer who, in his introduction to this broadcast, described Anton Lesser's voice as "audio honey". Oh, yes. And his reading is sublime ... BBC iPlayer: Ghost Stories of E Nesbit - The Ebony Frame

* Note that a couple of minutes of the previous programme (a reading by John Moffatt) is heard before the E Nesbit ghost story begins.
Last edited by Lynnedean on Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Re: Anton Lesser

Postby Wolesley » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:40 am

Wow, fabulous and eerie. A masterful reading.
I like the post-play comment that Anton should be nominated as the next Doctor!

Lesley
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Postby Lynnedean » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:43 am

And I agree with that, too; Mr L would make a terrific Doctor Who and would, I'm sure, throw himself into the part with great relish. Unfortunately, he wouldn't be in the running, as the BBC is intent on attracting young audiences, and obviously believes that it can do so only by casting young actors in the role - the character has been getting younger with every new incarnation! Not only that, but - horror of horrors - the word down the line is that the successor to Matt Smith is likely to be ... female! AAAGH!
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby Wolesley » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:30 pm

Lynnedean wrote: - the word down the line is that the successor to Matt Smith is likely to be ... female! AAAGH!

Well, that will certainly make the regeneration scene interesting! :biggrin:
I wouldn't mind seeing a dynamic young actress in the role, with a charming male companion. Change can be good... :shock:

Lesley
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Postby Lynnedean » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:59 pm

When you've been with Doctor Who from its beginning 50 years ago and can clearly remember the very first episode, the idea of changing the gender of the character comes as a sacrilege. If the Unthinkable happens, it will simply be change for change's sake and, as they say, political correctness gone mad!
Lynnedean

Postby foylefan » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:20 pm

Oh, Lynne...I'm so sorry about the Dr. Who shock...it might be time for a scotch! :biggrin:
foylefan

Postby Sunshine » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:34 am

It's Lesser, BTW, who plays Chief Superintendent Bright in Endeavour.......But he's more like one of those chief superintendents that Foyle calls on the carpet!!! :foyle1:
Just looked over the chapter on "Horse Racing and Illegal Rambling."

I haven't got the requisite capacity for deceit.
Sunshine

Postby Lynnedean » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:41 pm

It is indeed. Never liked Miserable Morse but love Endeavour - Anton Lesser, Roger Allam (who knows how to wear a trilby) and the rather dishy Shaun Evans. Terrific!
Lynnedean

Postby Hazel1963 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:13 pm

I agree that Anton Lesser has a gorgeous voice, almost as perfect as that of Michael Kitchen! As I listen to a lot of radio, can I add Roger Allam and Philip Madoc to the list of sexy voices, please? The Cadfael mystery, "Dead Man's Ransom", had both Kitchen and Madoc. Almost had a fit of the vapours over that one!
Hazel1963

Postby mohairMK » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:39 pm

Hazel1963 wrote:The Cadfael mystery, "Dead Man's Ransom", had both Kitchen and Madoc. Almost had a fit of the vapours over that one!

Indeed, this audio book is a favorite of mine, too!
"Think? It's all I've ever done and it's got me absobloodylutely nowhere"
mohairMK

Postby Lynnedean » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:14 pm

A recent interview with the wonderful Anton Lesser appears in the February edition of a community magazine that covers the area in which he lives. The online edition is in the form of a pdf which will open in your browser (it may take a minute to load all the pages). The interview is on pages 20 - 21. Note that the picture of Mr L that is labelled as him playing Fagin in the current TV series Dickensian is actually of him playing Thomas More in last year's BBC production Wolf Hall. ... Your Letterbox February 2016: Anton Lesser interview
Lynnedean

Postby kitchentease » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:36 am

What a delight that interview is, Lynne. Thank you so much for posting the link. Sad to read that he had been having trouble with his glorious, velvety voice.
But, what does the brain matter....compared to the heart?
kitchentease

Anton Lesser

Postby Lynnedean » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:23 am

Anton Lesser is soon to record an audio tourist guide for a small town in England called Battle. The guide, a GPS-based travel app produced by a company called GeoTourist, will give visitors information about the local area, e.g. history, visitor attractions, landmarks, etc.

Battle is not far from Hastings; it's only about six-and-half miles to the north-west. Hastings already has such an app, the Hastings Stade Educational Tour, which is narrated by historian Geoff Hutchinson. I'm sure Mr H will have done an excellent job, but I can't help thinking ... well, you know what I'm thinking.
Lynnedean

Postby vicky » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:49 pm

Yep, Lynne, we're probably all thinking the same. I wonder if our Mr.K was
asked? Anton Lesser leads a very busy life and doesn't vanish from sight for
months at a time, and I've no doubt he'll do a very good job, but it would have been
great to hear that other fellow do it.
vicky

Postby Lynnedean » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:16 pm

vicky wrote:Yep, Lynne, we're probably all thinking the same. I wonder if our Mr.K was asked? Anton Lesser leads a very busy life and doesn't vanish from sight for months at a time, and I've no doubt he'll do a very good job, but it would have been great to hear that other fellow do it.

I can see why Hastings Town Council got an historian to narrate their audio guide, but, yes, I do wonder if they tried to get Our Boy before asking Geoff Hutchinson. Would have been an obvious choice.

Re Mr L, he's a very busy chap. As well as everything else, he is often on radio. He was in a production of Uncle Vanya a couple of weeks ago, was on BBC Radio 4 today reading a short story by Stuart Evers, and is in the dramatisation of The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov, which is being broadcast on BBC Radio 3 as I type this!
Lynnedean

Return to Guest Villains and Guest Stars