Dominic Mafham (Michael Turner - The German Woman)

Dominic Mafham (Michael Turner - The German Woman)

Postby TwiningsGirl64 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:20 pm

I knew Id seen this man before. And most interestingly, it was in the series Always and Everyone, right alongside MK :jack: :bouncy:
I wonder which role Dominic preferred? The thoughtful and caring doctor Andrew Argyle? or the lying, cheating, manipulative, murderous villain Michael Turner, in The German Woman.
I also wonder if MK might have had a hand in DM being cast for role of MT in Foyles War, after acting alongside him in Season 3 of A&E
"Well... things the way they are... good for the time being's perhaps enough." (CF to BH: They fought in the fields)
"MK...never less than a joy to watch." (Jaci Stephen)
TwiningsGirl64

Re: Dominic Mafham (Michael Turner - The German Woman)

Postby Wolesley » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:30 am

Well, as people over on Tumblr often say, #only-20-actors-on-the-entire-damn-island :rofl:
It does seem like it: we see the same faces in series after series, as guest stars or guest villains.

I've often wondered if MK had any say in the casting of guest stars in FW, but I doubt it - there are casting directors for the production, and each actor has an agent promoting their career.
But it is true that he had previously worked with MOST if not ALL of the guest actors we saw on FW. And British television is different from North American tv - they run their entertainment industry like repertory theatre, giving as much work to as many actors as possible, and actors can have an entire career playing a "type" of character very successfully.

Back in the 1990s when MK was making the rounds of all the murder mystery shows, one reviewer of an established detective series wrote to the effect, "Oh, it's Michael Kitchen again, now we know whodunnit and the mystery's spoiled."
:whistling:

Lesley
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Postby TwiningsGirl64 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:11 am

Sorry for my delay in responding Leslie. Silly me couldn't remember which section of the MB I posted this in :oops:

I have to admit I don't know all that many UK actors as yet. I will get to know more in time, now that we have the UK channel on our Pay Tv Subscription.

I like to think that out of the ones I do know, (MK, Martin Shaw, Dame Judi Dench, Sir Anthony Hopkins, Kenneth Branagh, Colin Firth, Martin Freeman, Benedict Cumberbatch, Bill Nighy, Alan Rickman, Daniel Craig,) they are the cream of the crop and the most worthy of knowing :lol: :rofl:

I guess Australia is quite similar to the UK in that there is only a small actors pool from which to draw from, so they get recycled quite a lot :biggrin:
Not so much in the movie sector, but certainly in the TV Drama department. :pleased:
"Well... things the way they are... good for the time being's perhaps enough." (CF to BH: They fought in the fields)
TwiningsGirl64

Postby hazeleyes57 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:19 pm

Dominic also portrayed the younger brother of Stephen Fry's character in Kingdom, an enjoyable comedy drama about a firm of solicitors, set in Norfolk, UK.

I've never seen him in anything where he's played a decent, reliable sort of character. Some people are destined to play villains and charlatans, and I guess that makes him a good baddie!!
hazeleyes57

Location: Colchester, England, home of the Iceni, Boudicca and jolly nice cake shops

Postby TwiningsGirl64 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:57 am

I just checkout out Kingdom on IMDB and it sounds like a show worth watching H.E. I dont know a lot about Stephen Fry but I recall seeing him on an episode of a show I watched called Who do you think you are where he was tracing his family history. He was so interesting. A very intelligent, but also a passionate and emotional man.

Its interesting how some actors seem to be always portrayed as a baddie.

Perhaps its something in their physical appearance....ie: An icy stare, sharp nose, Square jaw etc... or something in the tone of their voice that gets them cast as baddie?
But I dont see Dominic as having any particularly noticeable "baddie-type features" so maybe its more a case of he just prefers playing the baddie, instead of the goodie.

He at least plays a good guy in Always & Everyone :pleased: :hug: .
TwiningsGirl64

Postby ayresorchids » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:02 am

Actors often say the baddies are more fun to play!

TwiningsGirl, have you seen Anzac Girls? I so enjoyed the characters in that miniseries, and one of the actresses/characters, Anna McGahan/Olive Haynes, reminded me quite a bit of Honeysuckle Weeks as Sam. :samtall:

Also adore the indomitable and shameless Miss Fisher from your island. Was introduced to her (in Hastings, aamof!) by hazeleyes57. :hug:
...And I do hope that you find somebody who deserves you.
ayresorchids

Postby TwiningsGirl64 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:58 am

Ive heard that too AO, I dont quite get why they find it more fun? :puzzled: Except perhaps for the chance to use rather more colourful language than their good-guy counterpart is otherwise accustomed to :biggrin:

Im ashamed to say I havent yet seen Anzac Girls or Miss Fisher. :oops:

I have been tempted on occasion to watch Anzac Girls as my grandfather was a Lighthorseman during WW1 and my mother told me he held the nurses on the frontlines in very high regard. But as the series had a virtually unknown cast (The only notable Australian actor was John Waters) and many of the young cast were accused of grossly overacting and turning it into a soap, I was turned off from watching it. :sad:
TwiningsGirl64

Postby hazeleyes57 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:41 am

TwiningsGirl64 wrote:I just checkout out Kingdom on IMDB and it sounds like a show worth watching H.E. I dont know a lot about Stephen Fry but I recall seeing him on an episode of a show I watched called Who do you think you are where he was tracing his family history. He was so interesting. A very intelligent, but also a passionate and emotional man.

Someone posted a video on FB of Stephen answering the question about what he would say to God if they met, and his answer was stunning (well, it stunned me!!). I'm afraid I can't remember the actual question, but Stephen railed about things that 'God' has allowed to happen, like cancer in the eye of a child. Powerful stuff, and he impressed me all over again. He was great on the QI quiz show as well :thumbsup:
hazeleyes57

Location: Colchester, England, home of the Iceni, Boudicca and jolly nice cake shops

Postby kitchentease » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:19 pm

Stephen Fry is absolutely terrific in Kingdom. It was the first series I watched him in without Hugh Laurie. He's possibly the only celebrity other than MK I would truly love to meet.
But, what does the brain matter....compared to the heart?
kitchentease

Postby TwiningsGirl64 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:57 pm

hazeleyes57 wrote:Someone posted a video on FB of Stephen answering the question about what he would say to God if they met, and his answer was stunning (well, it stunned me!!). I'm afraid I can't remember the actual question, but Stephen railed about things that 'God' has allowed to happen, like cancer in the eye of a child. Powerful stuff, and he impressed me all over again. He was great on the QI quiz show as well :thumbsup:

Thanks HE I google searched the vid and found it. The interviewer was a chap from Ireland called Gay Byrne and the question he asked Stephen (as a staunch atheist) was what he would say to God upon reaching the pearly gates. And Stephens reply was very powerful indeed. "Bone cancer in children? Whats that about"? He believes God is evil and twisted and his overall reply to the question was that he'd resolutely refuse to enter Heaven because he wont bow down and pray and give thanks to One who is supposedly all great and ever powerful, and can change or fix anything on Earth that he so chooses but yet sits back and allows world atrocities and cruel injuries to children etc..etc...

Reminded me of the scene at the end of The French Drop where CF with barely contained rage, asks Lt Col Wintringham some similarly weighted questions.
"There's a question of a grave? illegal! How would you like to justify that? The body you stole to substitute for Messinger, blown out of all recognition by a grenade! How would you like to justify that? The Hastings landlady who never lived in Hastings? Whoever she was, she wasted Police time. The suicide letter was forged. The girlfriend Marion Greenwood works for you and perverted the course of Justice. Added to which one of your men tried to kill me!...Illegal! All morally unacceptable! How would you like to justify it"? :rantblue:
TwiningsGirl64

Postby TwiningsGirl64 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:15 pm

kitchentease wrote:Stephen Fry is absolutely terrific in Kingdom. It was the first series I watched him in without Hugh Laurie. He's possibly the only celebrity other than MK I would truly love to meet.

Hugh Laurie? As in the guy who plays Dr Greg House on the US hospital series "House"? He's English? :eek:
OMG he has the most convincing American accent. I had absolutely no idea he's from the UK. I live under a rock, clearly! :oops:
TwiningsGirl64

Postby starlight » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:44 pm

TwiningsGirl64 wrote:Hugh Laurie? As in the guy who plays Dr Greg House on the US hospital series "House"? He's English? :eek:
OMG he has the most convincing American accent. I had absolutely no idea he's from the UK. I live under a rock, clearly! :oops:

You need to watch Jeeves and Wooster, TG! :rofl: Prepare for a seismic shift in your take on Hugh Laurie :biggrin:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk7pk58Bq4Q
Do I need to remind you...how much you can trust me?
starlight

Postby Wolesley » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:33 pm

TG, also watch A Bit of Fry and Laurie, the comedy series they did together, if you can find it. I'm sure there's lots on YouTube.

Lesley
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Postby HarrietVane » Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:15 pm

Also the Regency and WWI series of Blackadder!
HarrietVane

Postby TwiningsGirl64 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:39 am

ooh I say.... this is like all my Christmas gifts coming at once. :thankyou:
Whenever will I sleep :lol:
Thanks lovely ladies :pleased: LMAO
TwiningsGirl64

Postby kitchenwonder » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:06 am

TwiningsGirl64 wrote:...Its interesting how some actors seem to be always portrayed as a baddie.

Perhaps its something in their physical appearance....ie: An icy stare, sharp nose, Square jaw etc... or something in the tone of their voice that gets them cast as baddie?

MK said there was more money in playing the evil roles. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq0HqvV-LHo :lol:

Also, I thought ANZAC Girls was very good. You should give it a try. :rose:
"Well...The Foyles, you know, always have been hard to resist." (Enemy Fire S3E2)
"If Michael Kitchen played a corpse, you would still watch him more than anyone else." (Jaci Stephen, The Mail, November 3, 2002)
kitchenwonder

Postby TwiningsGirl64 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:24 pm

What a fab interview. :biggrin: and MK as a hired killer sounds very exciting. Makes note to purchase the Dvd :pleased: :biggrin:
I wasnt aware that actors get paid more for playing a villain.
Im guessing the higher pay rate is a form of Danger Money, (health insurance) in case the actor is a little too convincing in the role and find themselves being stalked by some psychotic nut-job viewer who fails to differentiate between fantasy and reality. :obsessed: :lol:

Cheers also for the positive rec re Anzac Girls. :thumbsup: :D In hindsight, its pretty silly of me to let a few negative reviews get in the way of what might be a good thing. It certainly cant hurt for me to watch the first episode and see for myself whether the criticism is warranted or not. I just might be very pleasantly surprised :eek:
TwiningsGirl64

Postby starlight » Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:35 pm

TwiningsGirl64 wrote:What a fab interview. :biggrin: and MK as a hired killer sounds very exciting. Makes note to purchase the Dvd :pleased: :biggrin:

Good luck finding one for less than 75 quid. I've only got it on VHS, but somebody with an electronic copy is sure to share it with you. :whistling:
Do I need to remind you...how much you can trust me?
starlight

Postby Lynnedean » Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:47 pm

Drop me a pm. :wink:
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby TwiningsGirl64 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:44 am

Cheers SL and LD. :thankyou:
75 pound equates to around $130 Aussie Dollars :shock: Oh my lord...thats one very expensive Dvd
Not that the gorgeous MK isnt worth every cent because he most definitely is. :cloud9: :hug:
But I should think MK would have to come and hand deliver the Dvd to me "In Person" at that price :lol:
TwiningsGirl64

Return to Guest Villains and Guest Stars