John Mahoney - FW9:1 High Castle

John Mahoney - FW9:1 High Castle

Postby Lynnedean » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:25 pm

John Mahoney – extract from article by journalist David Hollingsworth re FW9 in TV Times 3-9 January 2015 ...

[...] For his part, John's tickled pink to be in Foyle s War. The 74-year-old star, who laughs that he plays a 'rotten' character in Foyle, was born in 1940 in Blackpool after his family was evacuated from Manchester.

"I'm a huge fan of the show and I've seen every episode," he beams when we meet during filming. "My friends in the States said to me a few years ago, 'You should watch Foyle's War, we think you'll like it because it's your era and it's your country'. So I watched it and I immediately fell in love with it."

John, the seventh of eight children, lights up when talking about his childhood in England and he still has a soft spot for his birthplace.

"I remember the air-raid shelters and playing in the bombed-out buildings," he says. "I don't recall bombs falling, but I do remember the aftermath of the war, like taking my ration coupon to the Saturday matinee to get two ounces of toffee. To tell you the truth, about six days ago when I was in Chicago I made myself five rounds of beans on toast, which my American friends think is insane! There's a store near where I live which sells English stuff, so I go there to buy a box of Quality Street or a Yorkie bar. I have a sweet tooth and I totally miss all of that food!"

John took the decision to emigrate when he went on a family holiday to visit his sister, who'd married an American sailor.

"I couldn't believe it when I saw my sister driving a car - I don't think I'd ever even driven in a car,' smiles John, who left England when he was 19. "They also had so much to eat and so much sun and I thought, 'OK, this is where I'm going to live'. I went back to England, finished school, worked for a year at Lewis's department store selling clothes to save up money and then my sister sponsored me over to America."

Surprisingly, John's part in Foyle s War is his first on British TV - and he's enjoyed every minute.

"I've never been in something I've been a fan of before. The director said to me this morning, 'Good work, John', and I thought, 'That's great, the director of Foyle's War is telling me I'm doing good work!'"
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Re: John Mahoney - FW9:1 High Castle

Postby BookwormKate » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:13 pm

Wow, thanks for this, Lynne! How lovely that he was a fan of the show before. I can't wait to see the new episodes! :biggrin:
"You could do with a good chat then..."
BookwormKate

Postby jewell » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:14 pm

Lovely!

:biggrin:

Thanks, Lynne.

J
"When they ask why, I'll go: well, it's the least, no, honestly, it's the very bloody least I could do!

"And not just decked him. No! Fried the devious, dirty bastard to a crisp in the luxury of his over-waxed car!"
jewell

Postby mslevin » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:16 pm

Thanks for sharing this piece Lynne. I never knew he was British. He really must have loved being part of the show. To bad he didn't comment on working with MK.
mslevin

Postby jewell » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:29 pm

He may not have worked with MK, at all.

If he didn't have any scenes with him, and from the trailers it looks like he's being tended in a sick bed by our Sam, not out and about, he may never have even seen The Man.

J
"When they ask why, I'll go: well, it's the least, no, honestly, it's the very bloody least I could do!

"And not just decked him. No! Fried the devious, dirty bastard to a crisp in the luxury of his over-waxed car!"
jewell

Postby BookwormKate » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:40 pm

jewell wrote:He may not have worked with MK, at all.

If he didn't have any scenes with him, and from the trailers it looks like he's being tended in a sick bed by our Sam, not out and about, he may never have even seen The Man.

J

I seem to remember there was a photo posted on Twitter by Nigel Lindsay with himself, MK, and John Mahoney. I don't have it to hand, but it was in January of last year when they started filming. So, he got to meet The Man even if they didn't have any scenes together!

Also, on Acorn Online's facebook page they are asking for questions for John Mahoney to answer during the US premiere of High Castle. Maybe we can bombard the site with questions of what MK was like? :-P
"You could do with a good chat then..."
BookwormKate

Postby Wolesley » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:34 pm

I've just been searching for that photo, BWK, and I thought it was here somewhere, but haven't found it.
As John is playing the baddie in the episode, I should think Foyle might have a few choice words to say to him at the end! :foyle3: :biggrin:

Lesley
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Postby starlight » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:44 pm

Wolesley wrote:I've just been searching for that photo, BWK, and I thought it was here somewhere, but haven't found it.
As John is playing the baddie in the episode, I should think Foyle might have a few choice words to say to him at the end! :foyle3: :biggrin:

Lesley

Here you go gals:
https://twitter.com/NigelLindsay1/statu ... 5831069696
Do I need to remind you...how much you can trust me?
starlight

Postby Wolesley » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:56 pm

Thanks! Our ever resourceful Starlight!

Lesley
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Postby ayresorchids » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:25 pm

Mr. Mahoney certainly has that 1940s-tycoon look in that photo!
...And I do hope that you find somebody who deserves you.
ayresorchids

RIP John Mahoney

Postby Lynnedean » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:13 am

Sadly John Mahony died 4th February, aged 77. BBC World News

I heard the news this morning, after having watched High Castle last night and smiling as I remembered how thrilled he was to have been in an episode of a television series of which he was such a great fan.

RIP, Mr H.
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Return to Guest Villains and Guest Stars