HW reported missing (and then found safe & sound)

HW reported missing (and then found safe & sound)

Postby cmee57 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:55 pm

Has anyone else seen the news regarding Honeysuckle Weeks? I do hope she's alright.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-sussex-36926726

(Post title revised by Admin)
"Special! And it's my word, anyway. I'm perfectly entitled to use it, so do bugger off. I'm sticking with it! Thank you!" - Alibi
cmee57

Re: HW reported missing

Postby vicky » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:02 pm

Yes, I heard the news tonight, and do hope that she is found safe and well
very soon.
vicky

Postby Anglophile » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:56 pm

vicky wrote:Yes, I heard the news tonight, and do hope that she is found safe and well
very soon.

Me too. Praying for her safe return.
"Why have you brought us to shelter in the fuel dump, Andrew?"
Anglophile

Postby Lynnedean » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:53 pm

A news bulletin has now reported that Honeysuckle Weeks has been found safe and well in Sussex, fourteen miles from where she had last been seen.
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby cmee57 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:46 pm

Good news!
"Special! And it's my word, anyway. I'm perfectly entitled to use it, so do bugger off. I'm sticking with it! Thank you!" - Alibi
cmee57

Postby Wolesley » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:41 am

From Sussex Police, with thanks to Starlight:
http://www.sussex.police.uk/news/honeys ... in-london/

Lesley
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Postby kitchentease » Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:57 am

So glad to hear that she is safe-still concerned about her state of mind though.
But, what does the brain matter....compared to the heart?
kitchentease

Postby jewell » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:59 pm

Reading the news reports and seeing that they combed her past interviews for anything sounding remotely odd or crazy makes me loathe the press even more!

MK is a smart man to not grant many interviews.

J :-x
"When they ask why, I'll go: well, it's the least, no, honestly, it's the very bloody least I could do!

"And not just decked him. No! Fried the devious, dirty bastard to a crisp in the luxury of his over-waxed car!"
jewell

Re: HW reported missing (and then found safe & sound)

Postby Wolesley » Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:57 pm

I agree Jewell. Those articles will be a blight on her personal and professional life from now on. (Not to mention the invasion of privacy from her neighbour.)

Lesley
Wolesley

Postby Wolesley » Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:05 pm

From The Telegraph, a little less 'sensational':
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07 ... by-police/

And I'm glad they make it clear that she has been working regularly and recently.

(Never heard her husband described as 'a retired city broker' before. He has been said to be an art dealer and a hypnotherapist.)
Lesley
Wolesley

Postby Sunshine » Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:36 pm

I hope she'll be OK soon.
Just looked over the chapter on "Horse Racing and Illegal Rambling."

I haven't got the requisite capacity for deceit.
Sunshine

Postby Lynette » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:58 pm

The impression I've had of Mr. Stornmouth-Darling, based upon news articles and a few comments she's made interviews, is that he's too aristocratic to do real work. He dabbles in this or that (hypnotherapy, a little art dealing) but it seems like he's happy to leave worries about paying the bills to his wife.
Lynette

Postby Lynnedean » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:05 am

Wolesley wrote:(Never heard her husband described as 'a retired city broker' before. He has been said to be an art dealer and a hypnotherapist.)

The newspaper article is incorrect on that point, Lesley. According to this 2008 article in the London Evening Standard, it's Stormonth-Darling's father who is a retired city broker, which makes more sense ... Evening Standard: what would Foyle say!
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby hazeleyes57 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:52 am

That article initially reads quite buoyantly due to Honeysuckle's exuberance, but I also found it quite sad. I sincerely hope that she is genuinely happy with him, but her comment about him 'hitting on my friend before settling for me' rather telling. Either she hasn't got much self-confidence, or he's got too much. No-one should 'settle' for anyone.
hazeleyes57

Location: Colchester, England, home of the Iceni, Boudicca and jolly nice cake shops

Postby jewell » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:13 pm

Been puzzling over it, have a few ideas, but what's a "City broker"?

Ta,

J
"When they ask why, I'll go: well, it's the least, no, honestly, it's the very bloody least I could do!

"And not just decked him. No! Fried the devious, dirty bastard to a crisp in the luxury of his over-waxed car!"
jewell

Postby hazeleyes57 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:22 am

jewell wrote:Been puzzling over it, have a few ideas, but what's a "City broker"?

Ta,

J

City part refers to London's 'square mile', and this is how a site called 'London Town' describes it.

While the whole of London cover around 700 square miles, the City of London, the financial district previously occupied by the original old walled city built by the Romans, gets its nickname from the simple fact that it is just over one square mile in area. The Roman city was surrounded by an eighteen foot high wall and a moat and was the beginning of the vast metropolis that we know today as London. The Square Mile is still the world's trading capital with over 500 financial institutions - outdoing both Tokyo and New York. The City has its own police force and annually elected Lord Mayor, who along with the City of London Corporation, administrates everything within the Square Mile and is totally independent of any other national or London authority.

A broker is someone who acts as an agent for others, they broker a deal, handles negotiations, sales or purchases in return for a fee or commission.

'Broker' comes from the old Anglo-Norman word 'brocour', meaning (roughly) a gift at the conclusion of a deal.

It has also become a rather tarnished term, due to the unsavoury behaviour of some involved in the banking difficulties of recent years.
hazeleyes57

Location: Colchester, England, home of the Iceni, Boudicca and jolly nice cake shops

Postby Lynette » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:32 am

city broker = stockbroker, bond trader ... Wall Street type.
Lynette

Postby jewell » Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:36 am

Ah, thank you both. I wavered between a real estate agent or a Wall Street type broker.

I knew "city" referred to London but not such a small part of it,

Very interesting.

J

jewell

Return to Honeysuckle Weeks, Anthony Howell, Julian Ovenden