Julian Ovenden in The Sound of Music Live

Julian Ovenden in The Sound of Music Live

Postby HarrietVane » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:59 pm

Youtube link - probably will be snatched down at some point: https://youtu.be/zVetT6QaMZA
HarrietVane

Re: Julian Ovenden in The Sound of Music Live

Postby Wolesley » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:52 pm

Thank-you so much for the link, HV! I sat down and watched the entire thing immediately, in case it disappeared. Wonderful!

Spoilers - well, for this production only. :rofl:

I liked it very much, especially how they ended, surrounded by the love and support of the nuns. Somehow it made me realize even more how Maria's choice to leave the Abbey again and go back to the family saved the Von Trapps from a difficult life in Austria. No doubt the Baroness, if they'd married, would have persuaded Georg to take the commission in the German Navy.

I thought Kara Tointon was excellent, at times her voice was nearly identical to Julie Andrews'.
Quite liked the extra song done by Max and the Baroness, showing their self-interested, flexible principles. Loved Katherine Kelly as the Baroness.
Julian's voice was very good. I'm reserving judgement on his performance until I watch it again, but there were times when I wished he had put a little more 'drama' into his expressions. Particularly in the tense scene with Kurt - this was so well done with Christopher Plummer - yet I couldn't see why Kurt decided to change his mind in this version.

Must watch again.

Lesley
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Postby Lynnedean » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:20 pm

I watched it as it was broadcast. Sorry, Lesley, I didn't like it at all, I'm afraid. To me, the story didn't flow smoothly; it seemed a bit disjointed, and I thought much of the acting simply wasn't up to par, so made the whole thing seem a bit flat and lifeless. Not good direction. Loved Alexander Armstrong (Max Detweiler), though, but I'd love him in anything, especially when he sings (better voice than Julian Ovenden, to my mind).
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Postby Sunshine » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:29 pm

In the U.S., we got the movie on ABC television Sunday night, and even though TSOM was on Broadway first, any stage production will always be compared to the 1965 film, it seems.

I have the good fortune to have "The Story of the Trapp Family Singers," the book written by Maria von Trapp that influenced the creation of everything that's followed. Compelling story, including their time in America to the late 1940s, when the book was written. I haven't read her subsequent book, "Maria," written in 1972.
Just looked over the chapter on "Horse Racing and Illegal Rambling."

I haven't got the requisite capacity for deceit.
Sunshine

Postby HarrietVane » Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:06 am

Sunshine wrote:In the U.S., we got the movie on ABC television Sunday night, and even though TSOM was on Broadway first, any stage production will always be compared to the 1965 film, it seems.

I have the good fortune to have "The Story of the Trapp Family Singers," the book written by Maria von Trapp that influenced the creation of everything that's followed. Compelling story, including their time in America to the late 1940s, when the book was written. I haven't read her subsequent book, "Maria," written in 1972.

I really enjoy that book too, Sunshine! I have family in northern Vermont, not too far from where the family settled in Stowe, and sometimes we go cross-country skiing at the Trapp Family Lodge (now managed by the youngest son of Maria and the Captain.)

I did read Maria at some point, years ago - the main thing I remember is her talking about trying to get the portrayal of Georg changed for the movie because he wasn't really such a martinet and it distressed her to see him portrayed that way.
HarrietVane

Postby mslevin » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:29 pm

Thanks so much for sharing. I did not find anything in the British papers regarding the reviews. While I love Julian and he has a great voice, the role still belongs to Christopher. Kara Tointon was excellent. She really does sound like Julie Andrews sometimes.
Maureen
mslevin

Postby marigold » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:22 pm

Thanks for the link. I enjoyed it and found the setting, Maria and the children spot on; had a few issues with JO. He sings nicely but is a little wooden--much more natural when he was Andrew Foyle. Suspect he's in better form when it's not such a hyped production. Did like the way the songs were intergrated into the script.
:whistling:
marigold

Postby annebronterocks » Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:53 am

Thanks alot for the link; I quite liked it. I found the differences in song placement somewhat confusing, especially the absence of "I Have Confidence in Me," until I realized that they were adhering to the original Broadway show rather than the 1964 movie. I thought that Kara was excellent as Maria, very warm and caring. Julian made a fine Captain (I feel like I should say he made a fine Christopher Plummer :lol: ).
annebronterocks

Postby HarrietVane » Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:54 am

annebronterocks wrote:Thanks alot for the link; I quite liked it. I found the differences in song placement somewhat confusing, especially the absence of "I Have Confidence in Me," until I realized that they were adhering to the original Broadway show rather than the 1964 movie. I thought that Kara was excellent as Maria, very warm and caring. Julian made a fine Captain (I feel like I should say he made a fine Christopher Plummer :lol: ).

They did go with the movie in one way: by using "Something Good" rather than "An Ordinary Couple" for the Captain and Maria's post-love-confession song. A choice I approve - "Something Good" is a much better song!
HarrietVane

Postby Wolesley » Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:04 am

annebronterocks wrote:Julian made a fine Captain (I feel like I should say he made a fine Christopher Plummer :lol: ).

LOL! Yes, I agree. Plummer owns the role. :biggrin:

Lesley
Wolesley

Postby kitchentease » Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:06 am

LOL! Yes, I agree. Plummer owns the role. :biggrin:

Lesley

So true, even though he loathed it. Apparently, he likened working with Julie Andrews to being "hit over the head by a large Valentine's Day card - every day." :noidea: if they are still friends!
But, what does the brain matter....compared to the heart?
kitchentease

Postby annebronterocks » Fri Dec 25, 2015 6:08 pm

I sent the URL to my Mother in Law, who adores Broadway Musicals as well, and she loved it! :D
annebronterocks

Postby Wolesley » Fri Dec 25, 2015 6:20 pm

Here's Christopher Plummer, Julie Andrews and the cast reunited on Oprah a few years back:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xobmdx ... shortfilms

They seem to be getting along all right. :biggrin:

Lesley
Wolesley

Postby jewell » Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:18 pm

From what I've seen and read about Christopher Plummer, just after he completed The Sound of Music, he voiced his distaste, even hate for the whole thing. He even referred to it repeatedly as "The Sound of Mucus"

My opinion is that he desired to be this edgy young actor and felt he was drowning in saccharine.

Mr Plummer has mellowed over the years, as most do, and now understands the love of The Sound of Music. He may still wish he was remembered to something else but he has graciously bowed to the inevitable.

J
"When they ask why, I'll go: well, it's the least, no, honestly, it's the very bloody least I could do!

"And not just decked him. No! Fried the devious, dirty bastard to a crisp in the luxury of his over-waxed car!"
jewell

Postby BookwormKate » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:26 pm

Thanks for the links, HV! :thumbsup: Will try to find time to sit down and see it, as I've been looking forward to seeing Julian Ovenden is something else.
"You could do with a good chat then..."
BookwormKate

Postby HarrietVane » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:39 pm

The same kind Youtube'r who put up the show has also posted the short behind-the-scenes documentary that aired the following night:

https://youtu.be/BTy6nGB2aao

It's great fun, and has some particularly brilliant JO moments.
HarrietVane

Postby Wolesley » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:05 am

Very enjoyable, thanks! What frantic goings on off-camera!

Lesley
Wolesley

Postby Lynette » Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:18 am

Husband and I just finished watching this on New Year's Eve. (Yeah, we party like rock stars here ... just had TWO glasses of non-alcoholic sparking cider!)

We quite enjoyed it, though the pacing felt very quick. Inevitable, as they reduced a three-hour musical to two hours for this version. (Von Trapp went from breaking up with the Baroness to proposing to Maria in the space of five minutes here, which was jarring!)

I thought the singing was fine and the sets were beautiful; the acting did seem subdued, but I will confess that my eyes weren't glued to the screen; I'm working on a needlepoint project and this was the perfect background to that.
Lynette

Return to Honeysuckle Weeks, Anthony Howell, Julian Ovenden