[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Quietly Enigmatic • View topic - Julian Ovenden performs in NYC

Julian Ovenden performs in NYC

Julian Ovenden performs in NYC

Postby mslevin » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:53 pm

Julian Ovenden, Vanessa Williams and Lauren Worsham will star in the New York Philharmonic's Show Boat November 5-November 8 at Avery Fisher Hall. All three are making their New York Philharmonic debut.
mslevin

Re: Julian Ovenden performs in NYC

Postby Wolesley » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:59 am

Wonderful!
This is the only story I could find that featured a picture of all three leads ~
http://www.broadway.com/buzz/176597/can ... show-boat/

Lesley
Wolesley

Postby jewell » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:04 pm

I didn't realize JO was married until I saw this pic, Lesley. Thanks.

From Wikipedia:

Ovenden is married to the soprano Kate Royal and they have a son, Johnny Beau, born in October 2009. The couple married on 20th December 2010, the ceremony being conducted by Ovenden's father, who also christened their son in a double ceremony.[2] They also have a daughter, Audrey, born in November 2011.

Much too interested in his "father" to keep up with the son.

J
"When they ask why, I'll go: well, it's the least, no, honestly, it's the very bloody least I could do!

"And not just decked him. No! Fried the devious, dirty bastard to a crisp in the luxury of his over-waxed car!"
jewell

Postby Wolesley » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:50 am

Found this wonderful rehearsal video of the cast from Showboat! Scroll down a bit, below the photos.

http://www.playbillvault.com/Person/Det ... an-Ovenden

Lesley
Wolesley

Postby Wolesley » Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:37 am

I'm watching this right now on PBS's Live From Lincoln Center!
A 'semi-staged production' of the original 1927 score of Show Boat in front of the orchestra. It's quite delightful.

Lesley
Wolesley

Postby HarrietVane » Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:42 pm

Here's a link to watch it online, at least in the US and maybe elsewhere as well:

http://video.pbs.org/video/2365584949/

I'm going to watch tonight!
HarrietVane

Postby kitchenwonder » Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:33 am

I just finished watching Showboat. Very enjoyable! I always like to hear JO sing! :thumbsup:

When I heard Ol' Man River, I was reminded of hearing William Warfield present a recital when I was in grad school at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in the '70s. It was wonderful! He was on the faculty there. (As a grad student, I was able to attend for a ticket price of twenty-five cents! It was presumably to pay the cost of cleaning the Krannert Center after the production.)

William Warfield was recognized as a treasure on campus. On one weekend evening, the movie Showboat was shown in the old Auditorium. After he sang Ol' Man River on screen, they had to halt the movie because he was given a standing ovation. It was only then that it was discovered that he was in the audience. He also was my friend's vocal professor... a talented and humble man! :rose:
Last edited by kitchenwonder on Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Well...The Foyles, you know, always have been hard to resist." (Enemy Fire S3E2)
"If Michael Kitchen played a corpse, you would still watch him more than anyone else." (Jaci Stephen, The Mail, November 3, 2002)
kitchenwonder

Postby Sunshine » Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:59 am

Wonderful performance by JO last night! :thumbsup:

I also love William Warfield's version of "Ol Man River." I know that MGM sliced and diced at the original plot in the 1951 version of "Show Boat," but I do love that film.
Just looked over the chapter on "Horse Racing and Illegal Rambling."

I haven't got the requisite capacity for deceit.
Sunshine

Return to Honeysuckle Weeks, Anthony Howell, Julian Ovenden