Literary Event

Re: Literary Event

Postby jewell » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:43 pm

Wolesley wrote:I've imagined the timeline to be as follows:

Foyle, up and coming young police sergeant, meets Elizabeth and by her response to his wooing assumes she feels he is a suitable match. He soon proposes, and she says yes, but then he is knocked down several pegs rather badly by her father. Disappointed in love (and embarrassed socially) he joins up with Kitchener's Volunteers in 1915.
Then the sad young Foyle has the "three worst years of his life," as he told Andrew.

During this time in the Great War he is wounded and sent to hospital not far from Hastings. He meets and falls in love with Caroline Devereaux, perhaps at first not knowing she is married. They are both desperately unhappy and fall into each other's arms for comfort. A child is conceived.
Caroline goes back to her husband, because both she and Foyle doubt he will survive the War.

On one of his next leaves at home young Foyle, who is now a Temporary Officer and a Gentleman, meets Rosalind Howard, and her parents are more accepting, understandably, as eligible young men were not so thick on the ground at this point in the War. And then the Influenza Epidemic started. So a happy marriage and a son born in wedlock results.

That's my take on it, at least.

Lesley :foyle4:

Agree.
"When they ask why, I'll go: well, it's the least, no, honestly, it's the very bloody least I could do!

"And not just decked him. No! Fried the devious, dirty bastard to a crisp in the luxury of his over-waxed car!"
jewell

Postby mohairMK » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:27 am

Well said, Lesley. :thumbsup:
"Think? It's all I've ever done and it's got me absobloodylutely nowhere"
mohairMK

Postby cmee57 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:43 pm

Yep! :thumbsup:
"Special! And it's my word, anyway. I'm perfectly entitled to use it, so do bugger off. I'm sticking with it! Thank you!" - Alibi
cmee57

Postby Sunshine » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:10 pm

Makes sense to me! :foyle1:
Just looked over the chapter on "Horse Racing and Illegal Rambling."

I haven't got the requisite capacity for deceit.
Sunshine

Postby kitchenwonder » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:16 pm

hazeleyes57 wrote:AH was at The Swan at Lavenham this evening, doing a talk for the local Literary Club and raising money for East Anglian Children's Hospice.
Info for The Hide.

I couldn't resist asking him if James Deveraux was CF's son in The Hide, and from Anthony's lips - YES, it was written that way. He also said, with a grin, that 'Michael will give you a different answer, or no answer'. MK was the one who insisted on making it ambiguous, but AH said that he hoped it had been conveyed during filming anyway.

amiga: This is for you. Since we probably don't want all 1500-plus Facebook members flocking to QE, I am not going to post this on FWAS. :foyle5:
"Well...The Foyles, you know, always have been hard to resist." (Enemy Fire S3E2)
"If Michael Kitchen played a corpse, you would still watch him more than anyone else." (Jaci Stephen, The Mail, November 3, 2002)
kitchenwonder

Postby amiga » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:33 pm

kitchenwonder wrote:
amiga: This is for you. Since we probably don't want all 1500-plus Facebook members flocking to QE, I am not going to post this on FWAS. :foyle5:

:lol: :lol: Wise choice. Guess MK couldn't handle more than one emotional connection for longer than one episode. :smile:

Amiga
"He's the man men want to be, and the man women want to be with. A good definition of sexy." Anonymous
amiga

Previous

Return to Anthony Horowitz