AHwz interview in 17-23 Jan 2015 TV Times

AHwz interview in 17-23 Jan 2015 TV Times

Postby Lynnedean » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:38 pm

I posted this in the Acorn confirm end of Foyle thread, but thought it should also be in the AHwz s/forum for ease of reference ...

Interview with Anthony Horowitz published in the 17-23 January issue of the TV Times ...

The enigmatic detective's creator, Anthony Horowitz, tells TV Times he shed a tear over this week's final episode, but insists it's time to go ...

Anthony Horowitz found himself getting rather emotional as he wrote the final scenes for his most famous creation, detective-turned-spy Christopher Foyle. The hugely popular series has, of course, been on TV's death row before, when ITV took the odd decision to axe Foyle's War in 2007 despite the fact it was regularly attracting seven million viewers. But Anthony insists this time it's his decision to end the adventures of Foyle, played by Michael Kitchen, and his faithful former driver, Sam Stewart (Honeysuckle Weeks). Sunday's episode really will be our last chance to see Foyle and Sam's unlikely, but undeniably winning, team in action. It's a relationship which has been at the heart of the series since it was first broadcast in 2002.

'I think their relationship works extremely well because, at the end of the day, Sam is Foyle's confidante. She's the person who knows him best,' smiles Anthony, 59. There is a genuine friendship between them which has a nice pay-off in the last episode, which I confess brought a tear trickling down my cheek when I watched the scene, even though I wrote it. I wept a single tear because I knew that this was the end – I knew instinctively when I wrote it. I knew I'd never write another episode of Foyle and that just made me sad, too. A very big chunk of my life has gone into this show and now it's over... so another tear may appear any moment now.'

So, why end the show? 'It's a combination of things,' he explains. 'First of all I've been writing Foyle for more than 15 years and I've written 25 two-hour films, which I think must set a world record, actually. Has any writer ever written so much for one show? And I feel that I've run out of stories - that's the main reason to stop now. We've got to 1947, we started in 1940, and we've covered pretty much the entire war, apart from one year due to the curious behaviour of ITV, which meant that we were axed and then came back again. So we never actually got to deal with 1944, but now we're in 1947 and what happens after the war is rather strange as it all becomes a bit gloomy and sad with a sense of, "What was the war all about?" In writing this series I've wanted to fight that and be cheerful and upbeat, but I'm not sure I could continue right into the early 1950s. It's just time to stop - I feel I've done enough.'

The last story sees Foyle investigating whether there's a traitor inside the Secret Service after a failed assassination attempt on his boss, Hilda Pierce.

'I think you'll be shocked by what happens and it does contain something quite surprising in Foyle's relationship with Hilda,' explains Anthony, who enjoyed a cameo as the man who checked Foyle's ticket when he left for the US in 2010 episode The Hide. 'I think one of the pleasures of the six episodes set post-war is that we've knitted a spy family together. We have Rupert Vansittart as Sir Alec, Tim McMullan as Valentine and Ellie Haddington as Hilda.'

As for the star of the show, Foyle himself, Anthony says the key to understanding him is to realise that he's righteous.

'Foyle's a maverick who refuses to obey the rules and constantly raises other people's blood pressure by doing things his own way. I think that's been true of him since the first day he stepped on to our television screens. He's always been an advocate for the truth, searching for goodness, light and honesty. We confront Foyle with moral dilemmas and he always finds the right answer.'

~ David Hollingsworth
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." ~ Ogden Nash
Lynnedean

Re: AHwz interview in 17-23 Jan 2015 TV Times

Postby Wolesley » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:06 pm

That is a lovely summing up of the character in the final paragraph. Very nice.
(Perhaps MK explained it to him. LOL!)

Lesley
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Postby starlight » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:10 pm

Wolesley wrote:That is a lovely summing up of the character in the final paragraph. Very nice.
(Perhaps MK explained it to him. LOL!)

Lesley

Ooh. Miaow! :lol:
Do I need to remind you...how much you can trust me?
starlight

Postby kitchentease » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:31 pm

'Foyle's a maverick who refuses to obey the rules and constantly raises other people's blood pressure by doing things his own way.

Substitute MK for Foyle in that sentence?
But, what does the brain matter....compared to the heart?
kitchentease

Return to Anthony Horowitz