War Games notes

3: The French Drop(Feb '41);Enemy Fire(Feb '41);They Fought In the Fields(April '41); War of Nerves(June '41)

2: Fifty Ships (Sept '40); Among the Few (Sept '40); War Games (Oct '40); The Funk Hole (Oct '40)

1: The German Woman(May '40);The White Feather(May '40);A Lesson in Murder(June '40);Eagle Day(Aug '40)

War Games notes

Postby Sunshine » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:26 pm

Rewatched "War Games" last week. I've always thought Series 2 had the best episodes of the whole show (Fifty Ships, Among the Few rank the highest on my list. :thumbsup: :foyle1: ), and "War Games" is excellent as well. It also connects to the newer episodes, since it's the show that introduces the character of Hilda Pierce.

I have one point I'm fuzzy on, and it involves the scene in which Devlin tells Foyle he's rejoining his unit. I'm confused by Devlin's involvement in Harry Markham going to jail. Was Markham guilty in the first place and why would Devlin doctor evidence? :puzzled:

Guess I'll go back and rewatch. Oh, the things we do for Foyle..... :foyle5:
Just looked over the chapter on "Horse Racing and Illegal Rambling."

I haven't got the requisite capacity for deceit.
Sunshine

Re: War Games notes

Postby ayresorchids » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:34 pm

I love the Foyle/Sam interplay in "War Games." So full of mischief!
...And I do hope that you find somebody who deserves you.
ayresorchids

Postby Wolesley » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:30 am

Sunshine ~
Markham was guilty, but Devlin had not found enough evidence to lay charges, so he 'planted' evidence, which was then discovered (that it had been planted), and the case was thrown out by the Judge, IIRC.

Lesley
I'm a pole selector; I select poles.
Wolesley

Postby Sunshine » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:33 am

Wolesley wrote:Sunshine ~
Markham was guilty, but Devlin had not found enough evidence to lay charges, so he 'planted' evidence, which was then discovered (that it had been planted), and the case was thrown out by the Judge, IIRC.

Lesley

Thanks. :thumbsup: Which leads to one of those lovely quiet scenes of Foyle giving (Devlin, in this case) his comeuppance. :foyle3:

Sunshine

Postby Sunshine » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:33 pm

Just re-read the summary Lynne brought over (Thanks, Lynne! :thumbsup: ). It's even clearer now. :D

Makes you wonder whether Devlin truly was fighting for his country or to get away before Foyle could get ahold of him. :foyle3:

Sunshine

Return to Series 1 (2002), Series 2 (2003), Series 3 (2004)